Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.

Capturing the Castle DrummerGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PollyAnna View Post
    I finished Little Brother

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.
    Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.

I'm reading how To Say Goodbye in Robot. Which is so good so far

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerGirl View Post
    Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.
    <sigh> Is my heart coal-black or what? I should qualify: I didn't dislike ALL of it. But by the last quarter it just felt like she was trying to make every single thread tie up neatly/be super meaningful. And it just didn't fit, IMO.

The last book I loved in that vein (grief & desire) was The Sky is Everywhere and it just KILLED in every sense. So much trust and heart... SUPERBOOKCRUSH.
    Last edited by PollyAnna; 12-10-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Wishes she had superpowers... Joslin Dee's Avatar
    I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome.
    Joslin

"I hope life doesn't turn out to be a big joke, because I don't get it." -Jack Handey

WIP:
    Olivia Wilder (untitled): First draft finished! On to some major editing!

Quote Originally Posted by PollyAnna View Post
    I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.
    It must have worked. A professor describes lines of boys following him around when he makes appearances!

Quote Originally Posted by Joslin Dee View Post
    I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome.
    I liked it too. I thought it worked really well on a thematic level - discussing what love is, whether there's such a thing as a soulmate, whether it's right to dedicate your whole life to one person, what the spirit bond means. Rose has really grown up through the series. I was particularly impressed with how she handled the situation with Adrian - obviously not so much impressed by the cheating, but more that she was able to recognise that Adrian isn't fully mature yet, that he's still self-destructing, that he needs an emotional crutch to prop him up - and Rose is all grown up and doesn't need a co-dependent relationship with Adrian when she and Dimitri have a relationship of equals. And I really like that.

My last couple of books were Hold Still (didn't love it - I've read quite a few similar books lately so that may have put me off) and The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta (love!).

I'm now reading Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager (thanks DrummerGirl!) and it's great, really evocative and truthful.

let's get married Laura Was Here's Avatar
    Madapple by Christina Meldrum! Written beautifully.
    PLEASE DON'T TELL・YA/Thriller・Fall 2015・HarperCollins

Represented by Sarah Davies at the Greenhouse Literary Agency.

www.lauratims.com

practical experience, FTW eward's Avatar
    I'm reading Burning for Revenge by John Marsden, which is #5 in the Tomorrow series. Great series!

Meddling with the Muse Shadow_Bee's Avatar
    Reading C.K. Kelly Martin's I Know It's Over.
    Mischief-still-not-Managed. Yet.

Blog
    Twitter

we're gonna make it out of the fire The_Ink_Goddess's Avatar
    Rereading THE TRAITOR GAME by B.R. Collins. I wickedlove it more the second time.
    Last edited by The_Ink_Goddess; 12-11-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    --Beth.

I tweet/complain here.

there is nothing that
    distracts me music is
    only a crossword puzzle
    do you know how it is

when you are the only
    passenger if there is a
    place further from me
    I beg you do not go

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Clockwork Angel

WIP:
    The Devil's Utopia (YA) | Summary

"Be kinder than necessary; for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

FALL by Colin McAdam.

I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.
    Susanne

My blog Twitter Goodreads

My new shiny website!

The 0ther L1fe, Usb0rne UK, February 1st 2012 / Marshall Cavend1sh, May 1st 2012

Zombies were people too... SarahWesten's Avatar
    Gave up on Fallen by Lauren Kate just couldn't get past the second chapter, I'm not sure why. Reading two books currently. Last Sacrifice by Rachel Mead and The Monstrumologist By Richard Yancey, both pulled me in super quickly.
    T&ToaTZ:Reflections of Reality- [YA Fantasy] Outlining and itching to write...
    Doppled in Gray- [YA SciFi] First Draft 45/70k aprox getting to that section that just drags along.

Capturing the Castle DrummerGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eward View Post
    I'm reading Burning for Revenge by John Marsden, which is #5 in the Tomorrow series. Great series!
    I'm reading #6 right now

Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.
    I can't choose my favourite between them either. They are both whimsical and funny but with a different vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
    I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.
    I just finished it I liked it, but not as much as the hype.

I think it was to my detriment that I recently read the Giver. I kept getting distracted by similarities. Also - I so much was in awe of the world building in Across the Universe (another dystopian I read a couple of weeks back) that the world building in Matched seemed so simple and flawed in comparison.

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I'm going through the whole Wrinkle in Time series. This was my favorite of the series as a kid, but I'm wondering if that's from all the unicorn, star, harmony, blue-green dolphin, purple-pink bird, type of imagery

I'm finding with these that it takes me about half of the book before I actually get interested in the plot. It's a very interesting experience because I remember loving them as a kid

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: With a beta
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Perpetually waiting

This week, I'm in: Ohio

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe dystophil's Avatar
    I just finished Brenna Yovanoff's THE REPLACEMENT and really enjoyed it While the whole Changeling theme definitely isn't a new one, I just couldn't help but love the way this was written with lots of eerie creepiness about people choosing to look away from the ugly things happening in their lives.

Also chiming in with lots of love for LAST SACRIFICE, especially under the aspect of empowerment and the definition of what a healthy relationship is like and how neither a partner nor a friend should function as a crutch.

practical experience, FTW trocadero's Avatar
    Just finished Unhooking the Moon. Liked the voice but I was a little disappointed in the ending. Currently reading Matched by Alie Condie - quite a page-turner. She's really great at weaving the world through the plot. It seems like every couple of pages something new pops up that drives you to keep reading.

I know what happened to Baby Jane. warofthesparks's Avatar
    Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read.

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warofthesparks View Post
    Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read.

I loved that book, but he's definitely not how I pictured Finn. I'm a little disappointed.

practical experience, FTW brandileigh2003's Avatar
    Just finished Broken Lake and starting Logic of Demons

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Just finished FREEFALL by Mindi Scott. Super excellent read.

Going to start YOU by Charles Benoit today. We're discussing it at our book club later this week. My husband finished it already and said the writing is good but the story fell a little short in his opinion. Eager to see what my own take on it will be.

Lydia Sharp
    author represented by Laura Bradford
    editor with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
    I loved that book, but he's definitely not how I pictured Finn. I'm a little disappointed.
    I definitely didn't picture him as Finn, but seriously, I don't think I'll be complaining too much

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: With a beta
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Perpetually waiting

This week, I'm in: Ohio

Page 127 of 400 FirstFirst ... 275277102117121122123124125126127128129130131132133137152177202227377 ... LastLast