What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Heist Society -- awesome read!

I was actually really disappointed with Heist Society. For two reasons: 1) the voice didn't seem as fresh or unique as the Gallagher Girl series, and 2) the author didn't seem to have much knowledge regarding Nazi-looted art. Now, that's just my own bias, probably, since it's a subject I care a great deal about, and I've spent many hours in museums checking provenance records.

However, Carter is certainly a great plotter. I'll give her that. :rolleyes: And I do love the GG series.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Damn you, internet, robbing me of my online time. But it gave me a lot more time for reading Kind of sad, though isn't it? I was able to read The Clearing by Heather Davis and I plowed through the whole of the Return to Labyrinth manga, which are awesome, by the way. Now I'm reading This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas and it has be gripped like you would not believe. It kind of helps that I was in somewhat of a similar situation and I want to see how it plays out.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate. It had one of those dark and twisty covers and promised a dark and twisty story. I'm not sure it's going to deliver, though.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Six by Karen Tayleur. It's freaking amazing.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I'm reading Six by Karen Tayleur. It's freaking amazing.

i've heard that. i'll have to track a copy down. i haven't read any of her books.

i'm reading The Rosie Black Chronicles: Genesis by Lara Morgan. an Aussie sci-fi set 500 years in the future (they live @ Newperth and also travel to Mars). It's got some lovely fresh prose and is really accessible for non-sci-fi readers like me. I'm over 100 pages in already in one afternoon.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I will say that I don't think it's as flawless as everyone else seems to think (Six). In fact, I think the vlog section isn't done in a very believable way at all. But I like that she had the guts to try that format, and I think it worked well in furthering the narrative.

Overall, it's been pretty brilliant so far (I'm like fifty pages from the end).

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Getting reading for Part 1 :D

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The Sorcerer of Sainte Felice by Ann Finnin. Set during the 15th Century in France, it's about a 15 year old boy who's comdemned to die for sorcery and is rescued by a secret magical society. A male POV in YA is always a fresh thing to read!

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Nearing the end of SOME GIRLS ARE. Really, really like it, but don't think it's perfect and don't adore it in the same way that most people seem to. It's still superb, though.

Has anyone read HER AND ME AND YOU? How prominent is the, uh, twincest? How dark is it?

And what's THE MOCKINGBIRDS like? I know this sounds mean, but the fact that the author was a rape victim puts me off a little bit -- the book sounded like a great thing to write about the ambiguity of a lot of date rape situations as it's about justice, but I'm afraid it will be too black and white and "ooh the boy's a monster villain" and "ooh the girl is so innocent and sweet." I'm really not trying to be harsh and I know that rape's such an important issue etc. -- but rape convictions are hard and I'm afraid she's going to take too much of a preachy rose-tinted look at it.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I was actually really disappointed with Heist Society.

So was I, but not for the same reasons you were. I'm actually really looking forward to the film version, though. It's a great concept. I just thought the characters were a bit too young (15-ish) to pull it off as believable. Not surprisingly, the characters' ages were upped to early 20's for the movie.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare yesterday. LOVED it. Definitely a must-read if you love the Mortal Instrument series.

Now I am devouring Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers. Those who are impatiently waiting for next month to read it - trust me - the wait is so worth it. Amazing, amazing, book.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So was I, but not for the same reasons you were. I'm actually really looking forward to the film version, though. It's a great concept. I just thought the characters were a bit too young (15-ish) to pull it off as believable. Not surprisingly, the characters' ages were upped to early 20's for the movie.

I agree that college-aged students would make more sense. And you're right, the movie will probably be much better. I'll probably watch the movie, but I probably won't read any more books in the series.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up a book called Willow from the library, so I'll be starting on that really soon.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've just raced through the last 240 pages of Patrick Ness's Monsters of Men today. Not sure what I'll read next.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
i liked MATCHED, it wasn't action-packed like HUNGER GAMES but it was still alright. Right now I'm trying to read ELLA ENCHANTED. I love the author and all her other books but this book is difficult because I saw the movie already and as it turns out the movie is nothing like the book. For some reason I just read a few pages at a time, put the book down and then avoid it for days :C (AND IT'S A GOOD BOOK so I don't know why I'm being like this :C i think it's just that I'd much rather read all the Famous Five books, all 21 of them (I already said this in a bunch of other threads but I recently got into an Enid Blyton phase.)
Yeah, you have to pretend that the movie and the book are two different stories with the same basic concept. I picked up the book (knowing it would be different) after watching and loving the movie. But I love the book even more.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen the movie -- I loved the book too much, didn't want to ruin it.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Has anyone read HER AND ME AND YOU? How prominent is the, uh, twincest? How dark is it?

I finished Her and Me and You a couple of days back. The twincest is alluded to but there's nothing explicit. It's dark, but not that dark, considering I read even darker books.

Last edited:

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
My review of Lisa Desrocher's PERSONAL DEMONS is here.

Now I'm reading THE LOST HERO by Rick Riordan. It feels older than the Percy Jackson series, but so far I'm not enjoying it as much as that or The Red Pyramid.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG did you know the sequel to the Monstrumologist is out??? Did you know it was about the Wendigo??? I am too excited for words!

I attempted to read The Maze Runner, but I got too bored. The only hook was the hope the author would explain some stuff maybe sometime. The characters were supremely uninteresting to me.

So I read Ecstasia instead. It was pretty amazing, a bit interstitial--literary/sci-fi postapocalyptic/fantasy allegory/greek-mythology based story, with bonus poems in it! My library copy has bits of paper taped all over it that say "SHELVE WITH FICTION!" but I don't know why exactly. Mysterious.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Almost done with Holly Black's Tithe. It's a strange mix of what seems to me like a style of writing geared towards younger readers, with some content aimed at the older end of the market (an MC who smokes, for example). Despite this I've enjoyed it so far in most respects, although I find myself flicking back to refresh myself on some of the info dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.