What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, Smish I agree with you -- fugging hilarious :D

I finished Octavian Nothing last night. Really, really enjoyed it-- had a few issues with it. Slow pace at times. But it's seriously good. Beautifully written (although give yourself 50-100 pages to get used to the style, because it uses the vernacular of the period) and it never slips into Obvious Message territory, despite the danger of doing so in this kind of novel.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Paranormalcy. I really thought it was going to be Buffy-esque, but it wasn't it. The character Evie is actually pretty passive through most of it. And it seemed a little targeted towards a younger audience than I thought. Overall, pretty good though.

I have an Abundance of Katherine's on my bedside table. Maybe I'll read that next.

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
When I am able to get to the bookstore, I hope to pick up Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen. It sounds interesting, as I could tell from the excerpt. I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

Oh, I totally went to Border's last night to pick up this book (I adore the Roaring Twenties!) but then I noticed that the store had stocked THE MOCKINGBIRDS a couple days early. It was a tough choice, but I went with the latter. I do plan on reading BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS soon though. Hopefully Border's will send me another coupon soon...

By the way, THE MOCKINGBIRDS was excellent!

deltay

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Unidentified by Rae Mariz and The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I reviewed Octavian Nothing.

I'm reading Fragile Eternity right now. It's kind of interesting, but I haven't settled into the POV-switching yet. We'll see whether I get through it.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Well, I finished Living Dead Girl. Amazing voice, but a horrifying novel topic, because you know out there somewhere there are 'real' Alices. Still, I'm glad I read it, but it's one of those novels where you definitely want to know what you're getting into before reading. I could see for many it's a book they would probably wish they hadn't read.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finished Living Dead Girl. Amazing voice, but a horrifying novel topic, because you know out there somewhere there are 'real' Alices. Still, I'm glad I read it, but it's one of those novels where you definitely want to know what you're getting into before reading. I could see for many it's a book they would probably wish they hadn't read.

Haha - I wouldn't say that I hadn't wished I'd read it, but I do wish that I had read it all in one sitting. I only read it halfway through and then had nightmares that my daughter was being taken away. If I'd been able to see the ending first I could have avoided a sleepless night. :)

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Only one chapter in and I'm already in love. My cheeks are sore from smiling and laughing.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Now halfway through Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Cannot.put.down. Already, it's my new favorite John Green book. I love Levithan's chapters too. They're nothing like Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, which I hated.

It's brilliant. My crush on John Green has now reached a new high.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, it's a really good novel, but probably not one you'd want to read over and over again.

I'm reading Love You, Hate You, Miss You, by her (Elizabeth Scott) right now. And I have a feeling it actually will be one I'll want to reread. It's still tragic, with an alcoholic MC who watched her best friend die, but it's much lighter/happier than Living Dead Girl. :rolleyes:

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Now halfway through Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Cannot.put.down. Already, it's my new favorite John Green book. I love Levithan's chapters too. They're nothing like Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, which I hated.

It's brilliant. My crush on John Green has now reached a new high.

Oh - I have yet to read WG, WG. But, I didn't like Nick & Norah either. And I thought I was the only one! To be fair, I didn't actually finish it (even though I owned it. It just bugged me, all the swearing in it. Kept giving me a headache. Normally swearing doesn't get to me (most the time I don't even notice it) but with that book I just. couldn't. cope. haha.

I'm reading Love You, Hate You, Miss You, by her (Elizabeth Scott) right now. And I have a feeling it actually will be one I'll want to reread. It's still tragic, with an alcoholic MC who watched her best friend die, but it's much lighter/happier than Living Dead Girl. :rolleyes:

I love LYHYMY. Something about it, I don't know. I wish I had read it as a teen - I would have loved it even harder.

I'm currently reading about 6 different books and not really into any of them :) I think I'm too distracted to properly engage in a book at the moment...

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - I have yet to read WG, WG. But, I didn't like Nick & Norah either. And I thought I was the only one! To be fair, I didn't actually finish it (even though I owned it. It just bugged me, all the swearing in it. Kept giving me a headache. Normally swearing doesn't get to me (most the time I don't even notice it) but with that book I just. couldn't. cope. haha.

Funnily enough, it was WG, WG that gave me a headache. I found it difficult to read David Levithan's sections, written entirely in lowercase, without my head hurting. I had to slow way down and focus to get through them.

I enjoyed the book, though I like Nick & Norah better. The voice is so cracking. But the two of them are my favourite of Levithan's books, along with Boy Meets Boy. Definitely read that one if you haven't already. :)

Cheers.

deltay

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Delirium by Lauren Oliver too - ack! I'm simultaneously trying to read like 3 books now - on top of all the readings for my courses. Not good, not good!

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
My problem with Nick and Norah, was that I liked Nick's POV 5000% better than Norah's. So yeah, I did have a problem with that book, despite liking it decently overall.

I'm reading Beatle Meets Destiny (put down Fragile Eternity in favour of it). OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. You poor US-ians, I'm so sad that this isn't widely available to you guys. It's freaking AMAZING.

Seriously. Have not been this blown away by anything for about a year, now.

Deltay -- let us know how Delirium goes. I'm interested to see how she handles dystopian.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Funnily enough, it was WG, WG that gave me a headache. I found it difficult to read David Levithan's sections, written entirely in lowercase, without my head hurting. I had to slow way down and focus to get through them.

That didn't bother me at all, which was funny because it usually does. To me, it really came across like a surly teen wrote it.

Anyway, I have a chapter or two left in the book and I absolutely loved it.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I'm reading Beatle Meets Destiny (put down Fragile Eternity in favour of it). OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. You poor US-ians, I'm so sad that this isn't widely available to you guys. It's freaking AMAZING.

Seriously. Have not been this blown away by anything for about a year, now.

I know - my top two reads this year are Raw Blue (Kirsty Eagar) and Beatle Meets Destiny. Which blew me away with it's complete awesomeness. Also, has the best climax ever. It hurt my stomach, the laughter. Poor, poor Beatle.

And I love having someone else on this thread who read the same books I do and loves them just as hard *hugs*

Funnily enough, I'm re-reading it now (third time this year :))

and, yay! it is available internationally (at Amazon and The book Depository) and it's being made into a Big Screen movie.

Edit: Both Raw Blue and Beatle Meets Destiny were nominated for the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards and i was so torn about my pick but I went with Raw Blue (which won). Beatle Meets destiny is up for the Prime Minister's Award - announced next Monday :) fingers crossed

Last edited:

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
My fingers are totally crossed for Beatle in the Premier's Awards. I think I like it more than Raw Blue. Maybe. It's so clever, and all the characters are so interesting (I'm now wondering what happens to Beatle at the climax, by the way), and I'm incredibly attracted to stories about fate -- it's my favourite element of Shakespeare, haha.

And I love being able to rave about awesome Aussie books with you, too <3

I had no idea about the movie (although I do vaguely remember reading about it in your review?), but that is SO exciting :D

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
My fingers are totally crossed for Beatle in the Premier's Awards. I think I like it more than Raw Blue. Maybe. It's so clever, and all the characters are so interesting (I'm now wondering what happens to Beatle at the climax, by the way), and I'm incredibly attracted to stories about fate -- it's my favourite element of Shakespeare, haha.

And I love being able to rave about awesome Aussie books with you, too <3

I had no idea about the movie (although I do vaguely remember reading about it in your review?), but that is SO exciting :D

ahh, the climax. it was like my head was almost exploding from how high the stakes were being raised and then she just kept taking them higher and higher and I nearly couldn't take it any more. Poor, poor Beatle. And, oh, can't wait when you've read it as saying any more would be spoiler-y.

Gabrielle said in an interview that each time she turned the climax in for Editor revisions, the editor said, 'that's awesome, but I want to see you make it even crazier...' about three times over until she just went all out.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
So...I finally finished The Shifter. Great story and being that I haven't read any MG as an adult (wait was HP an MG story?) I really enjoyed it. Love the characters, and the story concept is very unique. It's definitely an action packed story and I had to come up for a breather now and then. I'm starting the sequel today Blue Fire. Excited to see how the story continues and see more of what happens between Nya and Danello :) Can't help it. Love me some good little romance (even if they are young enough to be my children LOL)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
So...I finally finished The Shifter. Great story and being that I haven't read any MG as an adult (wait was HP an MG story?) I really enjoyed it. Love the characters, and the story concept is very unique. It's definitely an action packed story and I had to come up for a breather now and then. I'm starting the sequel today Blue Fire. Excited to see how the story continues and see more of what happens between Nya and Danello :) Can't help it. Love me some good little romance (even if they are young enough to be my children LOL)

I loved The Shifter and I want to get Blue Fire, but I've spent way too much on books lately (I have a stack of 8 waiting to be read).

And yes, HP was MG, although I've heard that JKR considered the 7th book to be YA.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Shifter and I want to get Blue Fire, but I've spent way too much on books lately (I have a stack of 8 waiting to be read).

And yes, HP was MG, although I've heard that JKR considered the 7th book to be YA.

Books 1-3 are like MG. 4-7 are like YA, since the characters are dealing more with romance. 4 has the Yule Ball, where everyone is worried about finding dates and courting one another. Book 5 is Cho Chang. Book 6 is Ron and Hermione growing jealous of each other's outside romances. Book 7, of course, is everybody finally getting together.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I know - my top two reads this year are Raw Blue (Kirsty Eagar) and Beatle Meets Destiny. Which blew me away with it's complete awesomeness. Also, has the best climax ever. It hurt my stomach, the laughter. Poor, poor Beatle.

And I love having someone else on this thread who read the same books I do and loves them just as hard *hugs*

Funnily enough, I'm re-reading it now (third time this year :))

and, yay! it is available internationally (at Amazon and The book Depository) and it's being made into a Big Screen movie.

Edit: Both Raw Blue and Beatle Meets Destiny were nominated for the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards and i was so torn about my pick but I went with Raw Blue (which won). Beatle Meets destiny is up for the Prime Minister's Award - announced next Monday :) fingers crossed

I bought a copy of Beatle Meets Destiny while in Australia two months ago. It's in the pile - I hope to read it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.