What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
yay for loving Hold Still! It really worked for me.

I haven't read WG, WG yet either. I feel a little burnt from Paper Towns to buy it so hoping my library will get it in (they have all his other books). I loved all the themes in paper towns and I do love his writing (awesome one-liners and he's got style) but I felt the book waffled on a lot in the middle and then the ending? I just didn't get it. I was hoping for something awesome at the end but when I got there, it was a very subdued 'oh' from me.

As for Waiting For you. I have that one. My first Colasanti. And, it will be my last, haha. Really too teenagery for me to get anything out of - even though I read YA all the time...

It seems like there are mixed reviews for John Green as far as I've heard. And I'm very interested in reading Hold Still. A friend of mine recently suggested Waiting For You, so it's funny seeing it here.

I can't wait to go to the book store and use the gift certificates I got for my birthday...in September. XD I've been going to the library a lot lately...

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading John Green's Looking for Alaska and I loved it. It was actually kinda inspirational.

I'm going to start reading Cut by Patricia McCormick. It sounds fairly interesting, but I'm mainly reading it to see how she handled the topic.

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
Just finished Blood Promise (the 4th Vampire Academy book). In the future I just need to buy all the books in a series at one time so I'm not sitting here at 12:20am going, "But I'm going to die if I don't get the next one RIGHT NOW." Or they just need to start keeping bookstores open 24/7.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Blood Promise (the 4th Vampire Academy book). In the future I just need to buy all the books in a series at one time so I'm not sitting here at 12:20am going, "But I'm going to die if I don't get the next one RIGHT NOW." Or they just need to start keeping bookstores open 24/7.

I know that feeling! I felt that way while reading Twilight. I only had 50 pages left to read and was desperate to have the next one in my hands. I started calling stores to see who had it. My local Walmart said they were out of stock after keeping me on hold for like 10 minutes. Then I decided to go anyway and check it out and low and behold, it was sitting there on the shelf. Biatches.

The thing is, you never know how good a series is going to be. There's another popular series, but I decided to borrow the first book from the library and I'm so glad I did because I did not like it at all. I would have been really pissed if I had bought the series.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like there are mixed reviews for John Green as far as I've heard.

I think the general opinion is that John Green kicks ass. :D Everyone seems to love Looking for Alaska, so start with that one.

I agree that Paper Towns was somewhat disappointing, but a lot of people loved it, too. Even though I was disappointed with the last third of the book, I'd still say it was better than a vast majority of the books I've read.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
From John Green, I read "An Abundance of Katherines". I expected it to be awful, thanks to the cut someone did out of it for speech (she used a really disgusting bit at the beginning) but I ended up absolutely loving it.

Right now I'm reading "The Replacement" by Brenna Yovanoff. It is thus far amazingly good.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I think the general opinion is that John Green kicks ass. :D Everyone seems to love Looking for Alaska, so start with that one.

I agree that Paper Towns was somewhat disappointing, but a lot of people loved it, too. Even though I was disappointed with the last third of the book, I'd still say it was better than a vast majority of the books I've read.

I agree with this. Some of the scenes and dialogue were sooooo good (the ones between the guys) that it kept me reading. Now, I haven't read any other John Green book yet, so I don't know if my opinion would have been tainted had I read one of his other popular books first.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I'll have to try it again. I own it, but I've never made it past the first few chapters.

It's worth getting into, it really is. :) I just found that it really, really made me see what someone's life is like when they observe but don't participate.

I just finished The Secret Year, which was again quite good. althought I found myself wanting a bit more out of the ending. I'm just about to start Living Dead Girl next. :)

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I just finished This Gorgeous Game by Donna Frietas

I really got quite into it and felt moved by the end. It wasn't as hard to read (subject wise) as what I was scared it would be. Also, I personally related to how the victim behaved - so very well done.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Nearly at the end of The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han, it's a perfect summer read capturing the awkwardness of adolescence really well.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Picked up Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Really looking forward to it, especially after a friend 'spoilered' a certain subplot for me (which probably sounds crazy, but it rang very true to something I'm going true).

Also, thinking of restarting Wicked Lovely which has been rotting on my shelf for a long while. I really liked Melissa Marr's Ink Exchange but everytime I started Wicked Lovely, some other book drew me away from it...And after that the urban fantasy-affinity sorta wore off. Maybe I'll start again.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I just received an ARC of YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham (author of the highly successful BEFORE I DIE). The book's not out in the UK until December, so I think I'll be reading that next for flaunting potential.

:is shameless:

MM

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
I just received an ARC of YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham (author of the highly successful BEFORE I DIE). The book's not out in the UK until December, so I think I'll be reading that next for flaunting potential.

:is shameless:

MM

Oh. My. God. I am SO jealous right now! Before I Die is my favourite book ever. The fact that there was no Jenny Downham book for so long was killing me..

*explodes in jealousy*

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Cut and I enjoyed it. Quick read.

Unfortunately I'm all out of books right now. I've got some books on hold at my library but those could be awhile before I get them.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Duff (by someone whose name escapes me :)) and enjoyed it.

I have Patrick Ness's Monsters of Men lined up for next weekend as a) it's a hardcover so too large to take to work easily, b) I have two return train journeys of about six hours total next weekend, so should get a long way into this 130k-word novel. So I'm looking for something shortish to read before then, namely Joyce Carol Oates's Big Mouth and Ugly Girl. She's a major favourite writer of mine - I've read 36 of her adult novels/novellas and several short-fiction collections - but I haven't read any of her YA novels so far. There are four, of which this was the first.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE Katherines, too. Not quite as much as Paper Towns, but probably the same amount as Alaska. I just don't talk about it as much, because I've found that no one else has read it, whenever I bring it up, lol.

But it's fantastic -- I love the footnotes.

I think An Abundance of Katherines is my favorite John Green novel. It's so different from his others. It's written in third person, for one thing.

And it's fugging hilarious. :D

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
Also, thinking of restarting Wicked Lovely which has been rotting on my shelf for a long while. I really liked Melissa Marr's Ink Exchange but everytime I started Wicked Lovely, some other book drew me away from it...And after that the urban fantasy-affinity sorta wore off. Maybe I'll start again.

It happened to me the other way. I loved Wicked Lovely and read it first, but I couldn't get into Ink Exchange. Whenever I keep trying to read it, I just pick up another pick.

Rereading a lot of books on my shelf for now. Tithe by Holly Black for one. It was meh-ish for me the first time, but it kept me reading.

When I am able to get to the bookstore, I hope to pick up Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen. It sounds interesting, as I could tell from the excerpt. I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.