What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
Savouring Gena Showalter's "Intertwined"...loving it so much already at page 177 that I went and bought the sequel today :D Highly disappointed that the Australian cover for the 2nd one is DIFFERENT to the US one...and I love the US one! But I had to have it...LOL :D And its still a cute cover...just not AS cute :D

shadowpapoose

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Clockwork Angel...which is fluffy and entertaining and delightful :) I have Geektastic on hold for me at the library right now so that will be what I tackle next.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Three-fourths of the way through The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell. Can't wait to see how it ends.:D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just started WHAT THEY ALWAYS TELL US by MARTIN WILSON...and I gotta say, I am loving it!

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
shadowpapoose - I read The Clockwork Angel in my local bookstore recently too! It was a nice way to pass a few hours. The three mains were suspiciously close to the MCs of her previous series though, except this time, the two love interests seemed like Jace x2. No other complaints though. It was a solid read.

shadowpapoose

Registered
Reaction score
shadowpapoose - I read The Clockwork Angel in my local bookstore recently too! It was a nice way to pass a few hours. The three mains were suspiciously close to the MCs of her previous series though, except this time, the two love interests seemed like Jace x2. No other complaints though. It was a solid read.

Ha! I agree about them being simililar :) I was worried that it would be hard for me to start a whole new story in a whole new setting in this series when I had gotten so used to Clary and Jace but it ended up being the same kind of thing...minus the possiblility of incest.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Duff earlier today. I liked it, but didn't love it.

I agree that it starts kind of slowly, and takes a bit of time to feel sympathy for Bianca and Wesley. By the end, though, I wanted to spend more time with the Hamilton kids. I felt the ending was kind of abrupt, and would have liked it to last a little longer.

Some Girls Are is next on my reading list.

Rocky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rochellemayacallen.com
In the past month, I have read Hunger Games Trilogy, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and the Clockwork Angel. I enjoyed all of them. The Forest of HT was written beautifully.

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
In the past month, I have read Hunger Games Trilogy, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and the Clockwork Angel. I enjoyed all of them. The Forest of HT was written beautifully.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth FREAKED ME OUT!!! I probably shouldn't have read it :) I agree, though, it was good writing.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I read an Aussie book - Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood. so brilliant. very good. i feel like re-reading it already. (Fiona Wood is a well-known scriptwriter in Australia)

And then You Wish by Mandy Hubbard - it's a little on the MG side of YA I think - kinda cute but not completely my kinda thing...

And now I'm reading One Lonely Degree by C K Kelly Martin. and I love her prose and the feel of the book so far :)

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
just read My Name is Memory and then Fallen back to back... and each depict: star crossed lovers, named Daniel and Lucy/Luce, boy is 'achingly familiar', 3rd party trying to intervene in all of that... hmmm...

Fallen; unfortunately I'm all wth? about this book-- and i would've much preferred Luce to end up with the "villain". still can't quite figure out why she couldn't-- oh right, soul mates and all that... ergh.

Last edited:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Read Bloom by Elizabeth Scott - very different from her others that I've read. Had a Dessen feel to it.

Currently reading Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. I love her stuff. I always get sucked into it right away. I was very tired when I started it on Saturday night, but I still read a good 100 pages before turning out the light. I love the male voice in it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a five day bike ride, and I brought a Francesca Lia Block collection with me. I LOVE her books! I'm fully obsessed now. I read Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan, and I'm just finishing off Baby Be-Bop. I guess there is one more book in the series for me to track down. I loved them all soooo much. Where have they been all my life??????

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Started If I Stay.

You'll love it Bee! I cant wait for the sequel :D

Some Girls Are is next on my reading list.

Nice choice - I couldn't put it down...

just read My Name is Memory and then Fallen back to back... and each depict: star crossed lovers, named Daniel and Lucy/Luce, boy is 'achingly familiar', 3rd party trying to intervene in all of that... hmmm...

Ha! Yeah, I've read both of them. it is weird how many similarities they had like that. Both are first books in a trilogy but I didn't like either enough to read the next one. I do think Ann Brashares one was the better of the two though.

Read Bloom by Elizabeth Scott - very different from her others that I've read. Had a Dessen feel to it.

Currently reading Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. I love her stuff. I always get sucked into it right away. I was very tired when I started it on Saturday night, but I still read a good 100 pages before turning out the light. I love the male voice in it.

I love both those books. I have a thing for Elizabeth Scott for some reason - just love her style - she's so very versatile too.

I finished C K Kelly Martins One Lonely Degree - it was very good. I loved it. She's a bit like Sarah Dessen (but better, IMO) and the emotion is so understated that it makes it more powerful. Lots to crush on with her prose - seamless.

And... I am having another go @ Beautiful Creature. Yay - go me! ;) I now have two copies of the book so thought I should give it another chance...

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished C K Kelly Martins One Lonely Degree - it was very good. I loved it. She's a bit like Sarah Dessen (but better, IMO) and the emotion is so understated that it makes it more powerful. Lots to crush on with her prose - seamless.

I'll have to check this one out. I read one of hers (The lighter side of life and death) and I didn't really get a Dessen feel from it, but then maybe if Dessen wrote from a male POV it would sound a lot different??

annastan

Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading JANE by April Lindner, a modern retelling of Jane Eyre. It's interesting so far and I'm excited to read more. The MC is college-aged which makes it feel very much like a crossover novel.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, I've read both of them. it is weird how many similarities they had like that. Both are first books in a trilogy but I didn't like either enough to read the next one. I do think Ann Brashares one was the better of the two though.
Agreed on all points. :)

I'm now reading Let the Right One In and holy crap! is this YA? It is super SQUICKY for me! I'm liking it, don't get me wrong but... its still pretty squicky.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I finished What I Saw and How I Lied, which reminded me of the film An Education in some ways. What I Saw... would make an excellent film in itself - I can see it in my head in late 40s major studio black and white.

Next one up is Killing God by Kevin Brooks. It was retitled Dawn in the USA - wonder why that was? ;)

Penguin

Inspiration might strike you
Registered
Reaction score
Hush, Hush--just started
Dirty Liar--okay so far
The Duff is waiting for pick up at the library. I'm excited to read it :).

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
PollyAnna:
I'm now reading Let the Right One In and holy crap! is this YA? It is super SQUICKY for me!

No, Let The Right One In is not YA - it's a 'grown up' horror book.

I've just finished THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner, which I enjoyed although the ending is a mass of exposition to get onto the next book. It's a post-apocalyptic story where a group of boys find themselves dumped into an ever-changing maze with no obvious exit and hunted by Grievers (weird robo-squid creatures that kill and maim).

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, based on the third of that book I read, it does not surprise me that the ending is a bunch of exposition.

I finished The Graveyard Book and I'm now going to read The Cardturner by Louis Sachar. I'm giving up on the Halloween thing. I'm not getting the vibe this year, I guess.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Sage:
LOL, based on the third of that book I read, it does not surprise me that the ending is a bunch of exposition.

I was actually surprised because a lot of the book turns on Thomas not having things explained to him, so when Dashner about faces in the final chunk and does a massive info dump, it really stood in contrast. I was prepared to go with the book up until then because the idea interested me.

I'm reading 'grown up' literature at the moment - WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN by Lionel Shriver, because I just came back from a talk she gave to my former MA class (and she was excellent).

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.