Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    K.C. Robertson:
    I almost threw Hush, Hush at the wall four times last night, and I'm not quite a third of the way through it.
    Yup. My reaction too.

MM

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    Yup. My reaction too.

MM
    I'm not sure I've heard a single person say that they absolutely loved it. I'll be skipping that one, I think. Plenty of GREAT books to read.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

will write for cake HayleytheScribbler's Avatar
    I'm also just getting around to reading Shiver. About halfway through and really enjoying it so far

practical experience, FTW emma_kate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    I'm not sure I've heard a single person say that they absolutely loved it. I'll be skipping that one, I think. Plenty of GREAT books to read.
    No - I loved it!!! Absolutely adored it, one of the best books I've read this year.
    Aspiring Aussie Author on the move - be gentle with me!
    ~Soaking up the waves of knowledge!~

Apologies in advance for any "wierd" posts - I'm probably juggling between 5 different forums as I type this message!

Quote Originally Posted by emma_kate View Post
    No - I loved it!!! Absolutely adored it, one of the best books I've read this year.
    Ha! Okay, I won't take it completely off my books-to-read list, but it has been bumped down a bit.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inkspatters View Post
    Mine's courtesy of Penguin too, lawl. So far, I'm enjoying it more than the other paranormals I've read. Although I have some beef with the character motivation, and the fact that some of MC's behaviour is OTT.

I don't think the voice is inherently un-male, like others have, so far.
    I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.
    I took the Flash Fiction Challenge this week. You could too! (password: flashed)

Hero/Villain: #pitchtopublication
    Super/Human: With betas
    Master/Puppet: With different betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Ready to revise finally

This week, I'm in: Ohio

I finished Stolen. My only complaint is that it's not long enough; it was over much too quickly.

Slowly circling the drain.... Kitty Black's Avatar
    Sounds like Stolen should be next on my TBR list. Thanks for the rec!

kickin' you-know-what rifferaff's Avatar
    I'm about 80 pages into The Adoration of Jenna Fox. The writing is really nice but the pace is a little too slow for my taste.
    THE MERMAID'S DAUGHTER - YA Urban Fantasy
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    Ha! Okay, I won't take it completely off my books-to-read list, but it has been bumped down a bit.
    To be safe Smish, I suggest you get it from your library. I was kind of disappointed I had spent money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
    To be safe Smish, I suggest you get it from your library. I was kind of disappointed I had spent money on it.
    Ha! Will do. Thanks.

The coordinates keep changing... inkspatters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.
    A couple of reviews I read seemed to think that Ethan wasn't too masculine bc he wasn't interested in the other girls at school (like Emily, who supposedly seems 'hotter' than Lena? Idk. It was just like one or two reviews on goodreads, lawl) etc. But I think that's just a personality thing -- not all guys are going to be attracted to the same kinds of girls. So, I don't know what was really up with those reviews -- they made me think Ethan was like a mangina, which I can see that he isn't now that I'm reading the book.

The OTT was when he nearly runs over Lena at the start and he's all like "You're HER". I was like "Unsubtle, much?" But I think that may just be me liking more reserved characters.

Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.

ETA: I didn't enjoy Hush, Hush very much. I can see why other people did -- it has voice, the characterisation is fairly good. But I never, ever believed the relationship between Patch and Nora so the book just fell apart for me. Also, yeah, it did have a creepy-stalker vibe about it. So if you don't like those types of books, you probably won't like it.
    Last edited by inkspatters; 09-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Blah blah blog!

And I tweet, too!

~ FALL TO PIECES, YA thriller, Marshall Cavendish

Capturing the Castle DrummerGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inkspatters View Post

Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.
    I cant get into Beautiful Creatures for some reason?

And HOW GOOD IS RAW BLUE?

I couldnt put it down - it was mesmerising and nail-biting and beautiful and gave me little pools of anxiety in my gut.

And - so PUMPED your loving it as I dont know anyone else who has read it! Doesnt help that it;s hard to track down even though it was only released last year...

I JUST (well, like half an hour ago) finished it. I literally just sat down and inhaled the book -- it is so, so, so good. Gah, the characters -- I loved all of them so, so much. And the prose! The prose! Wow, she has a way with words. My newest book love, definitely. You're totally right about it being mesmerising.

And YES about it being hard to track down. I've been trying to find it for months, having a look in bookstores whenever I go and what-not, and it's NEVER there. But yesterday I was at this bargain place, and they had it. It was pretty awesome
    Blah blah blog!

And I tweet, too!

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    LOL, I mean, I don't know what OTT means. And I still can't figure it out.

My main problem with BC (though I liked it) was that it was basically a repetition of 5 plot (or narrative) points with slight variations on them. Also, one of them, is the reason why I couldn't pick up the novel as a novel, but could get through it as an audiobook. I got really tired when I was previewing the novel of hearing about how Southern the town was. And Ethan told us A LOT. At some point it's like, Okay, we get it. You can SHOW us without telling us from now on and we will understand that it's the way the town is (and always has been and always will be).
    Last edited by Sage; 09-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    I took the Flash Fiction Challenge this week. You could too! (password: flashed)

Hero/Villain: #pitchtopublication
    Super/Human: With betas
    Master/Puppet: With different betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Ready to revise finally

This week, I'm in: Ohio

Sitting underneath my laptop K.C. Robertson's Avatar
    most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
    I didn't know either, so I've been looking it up. After some time with google, I'm guessing it means Over The Top? Maybe? If that's right, I'd love confirmation.
    My writing and procrastination blog
    My beer reviewing blog

Afterglow (working title) YA Urban Fantasy WIP (drafting): 8K words and on pause for NaNo

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    over the top?

I read the first story in Lips Touch Three Times last night and loooved it. Can't wait to read the rest.

Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
    Monsters of Men. CANNOT PUT IT DOWN.
    Bethany

The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. Starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal
    www.bethanygriffin.com

will write for cake HayleytheScribbler's Avatar
    Started the DUFF last night. Almost done with it now

Lawl it does mean over the top. I shoulda guessed that's what you didn't get (and apparently everyone else, too), it took me five years of high school to learn that one
    Blah blah blog!

And I tweet, too!

The Designated No-Stress Friend
    I'm reading 'Beautiful Creatures' right now, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it. It's a little boring and... something else. I'm not quite sure what it is yet. I'm going to try and see if it gets any better. If not then I'll move on to the next book I have in line.

I read five more pages of Beautiful Creatures and then put it down again to re-read CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk (which is obviously not YA, but you know).

Next on my list is Octavian Nothing -- yes, I still haven't read it. I've decided to read Beautiful Creatures when I'm on a plane, so my attention can't wander haha.
    Blah blah blog!

And I tweet, too!

practical experience, FTW Amberly's Avatar

Unhappy I'll take suggestions

We went to the snow for the weekend just recently, it was only a three night stay but i ended up packing five books in the hope that something would catch my interest...

I picked each one up and shortly after put it back down again.

I'm after any suggestions on a good book with good recommendations as right now i seem to be in a reading rut!

Cheers

Amaranth: YA Urban Fantasy.
    NightWish Chronicles: YA Urban fantasy.
    Kemla book 1, 2 and 3: YA Medieval Fantasy, being blogged.
    Saphryon: YA Fantasy.
    Survivor of the Rain: YA contemporary.
    Death Dancer: YA Medieval Fantasy WIP...

Read Living Dead Girl this morning. Very good, but very dark. Also very, very short.

Page 108 of 400 FirstFirst ... 833588398102103104105106107108109110111112113114118133158183208358 ... LastLast