What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Oh - I liked Girl Saves Boy - but probably not as much as teens will enjoy it. Some bits I didnt completely follow what was happening. I cant really think of a book to even compare it too - in some ways it was like little vignettes and observations and scenes all weaved together. It's a dual POV - which I hadnt realised before picking it up.

It's a funny, quirky little book - I wrote a kinda review last night that I'll chuck up on my blog and goodreads (are you on goodreads?) after I have time to fully process it :)

And yeah, I'm on Goodreads. I'll keep a look out for your review. :)

BradleyWilliams

New kid, no need to be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Mockingjay No Spoilers I promise...I loved the read...the more I think about it since I have finished the more and more disappointed I become. However, despite that I am on board with the Trilogy.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Heheheheh. I know what you mean. I think authors in the paranormal romance genre work things like that. I thought the book was kinda middle grade in a way. I cruised through a little bored. I think it'll make a good tween movie though.

Thanks for letting me know what you thought of it, Drummergirl. I agree, it was a bit on the dry side. And info-dumpy. Just because it's dressed up as dialogue doesn't make it any less so. I did thnk it was a unique idea tho.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Naughts and Crosses. Finding it kinda hard to get into, but it's getting better as it goes...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Might read Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins on the Kindle at the same time.

Still listening to Beautiful Creatures.

adagietto

Registered
Reaction score
Blaze of Glory, by Michael Pryor. There was a lot of backstory/explanations to wade through at the start, but the plot has kicked in now. Liking the characters a lot, too!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished BEFORE I DIE by Jenny Downham, which I loved - it's beautifully written, credible, poignant and heart-breaking.

By contrast, I've also almost finished CLAIRE DE LUNE by Christine Johnson which has left me v. meh. I love the idea of a feminist take on werewolves and packs, but the execution was v. pedestrian and felt stilted. I never really engaged with Claire or her reactions to what was happening and the central plot twist was telegraphed too early on.

Not sure what I'm going to read next - may go for an Ian Rankin.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Read it in one sitting and it had me bawling.

I'll probably tackle some Sarah Dessen next or be a good girl and read some books on the craft. :)

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I read Fade by Lisa McMann. While I enjoyed Wake for the lyrical style and the romance, Fade was too unbelievable. My review is here.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Naughts and Crosses. Finding it kinda hard to get into, but it's getting better as it goes...

I still haven't finished this book and I got it over six months ago. It's an interesting concept, but the writing is .... I don't want to say horrible...but it's just amateur in a way. Which is sad because this would have made a great book.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Starting The Haunted by Jessica Verday later tonight. Looking forward to it, despite a few quibbles with the previous book. :)

Last edited:

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to buy The Haunted, but I really didn't like The Hollow, so I'll see if they have it at the library or something.

I've heard The Haunted is way better than The Hollow, according to reviews by people who had similar reservations. It's out in paperback over here, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I read Fade by Lisa McMann. While I enjoyed Wake for the lyrical style and the romance, Fade was too unbelievable. My review is here.

I liked Wake too (enough to get the sequel) - but was really bothered by fade.

Just, ugh.

It felt really seedy and, I agree, too unbelievable. I actually felt a bit yucky in my stomach after reading it. but that's probably just me (?)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Year of Secret Assignments, by Jaclyn Moriaty, today. LOVED it.

I liked Wake too (enough to get the sequel) - but was really bothered by fade.

I thought Wake was okay, but I didn't like it enough to buy the sequel. I figured I'd eventually check it out from the library, but never have. Now I know not to bother!

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading 'Looking For Alaska' based on some AWers recommendations. I hope it's as good as it sounds.

e_shady

Registered
Reaction score
JUST finished Clockwork Angel (no spoilers!) Fantastic read! Beautifully written, as is Cassandra Clare's style. I really think I like the characters in this series a bit better than TMI, too :)

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Wake was okay, but I didn't like it enough to buy the sequel. I figured I'd eventually check it out from the library, but never have. Now I know not to bother!

I was tempted to try that because the premise is similar to my WIP (going into people's dreams), but I've heard bad things about the way the plot turns out...also the writing style in the Amazon preview irritated me.

Status
Not open for further replies.