What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cklayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
whimzy81.googlepages.com
I just finished up Witch by Marie Brennan. I LOVED Warrior, the first of the 2 books. I think she made Mirage, the MC in Warrior, a more relatable character.. at any rate, I enjoyed Warrior more than Witch.

dreamwriter1888

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks. Liked it a lot and even really enjoyed the advanced math and computer tech talk, very surprising indeed, since it made the MC and some of the stuff he does very believable.

echnos

Registered
Reaction score
Paper Towns, by John Green (of Brotherhood 2.0 fame)

I'm actually reading it currently--and am thoroughly enjoying it. Lots of fun, and I understand its been picked up by the Juno people (whatever that means--the producers? writers? optioned?). In any case--fun, entertaining, and not a little wicked. I love YA books. They made me love reading again.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd - I've only just started it, but it's good so far.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading The Phoenix Endangered by Mercedes Lackey. It is probably not YA, but I liked it soo much that I'm thinking about reading it again. It is the second book in the Enduring Flame trilogy, and it just came out, so now I have to wait for the third book to come out, and it will probably be another year and a half! AAAAHHHH!!!!

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Sebastian Darke: Prince of Fools. It's rather predictable, but cute nonetheless. Nothing momentous.

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Skinned- Robin Wasserman. The ending was a complete surprise.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd - I've only just started it, but it's good so far.

I've now finished and was very impressed. SD's first novel (published at an age older than I am now - that gives me hope :)) was A Swift Pure Cry, which I liked well enough. But this is better...seems more substantial (though it's about the same wordcount, around 65k) and developed. The writing style reminded me of another Irish (non-YA) writer, Jennifer Johnston, who's long been a favourite of mine. It's also proof - if any were needed - that there need be no essential difference between an upper-end YA and an adult novel: in complexity of theme, subtlety of expression, use of the English language. The only difference between this and an adult novel is that the protagonist is eighteen (with a coming-of-age theme) and the shorter wordcount. SD also expects the reader to pick up references which today's 12-year-old might not do - though nowadays, if you don't know who Olga Korbut or George Best were (for example) a quick trip to Wikipedia will sort you out.

Bog Child is set in Ireland (near the North/South border) in 1981, with the IRA hunger strikes going on in the background. Fergus's brother (a fictional character, though the strike was real) is on the strike. Fergus and his uncle, out one morning to dig up peat, unearth the body of what appears to be a young girl...whose body appears to have been interred in the bog some 1900 years before.

This is Dowd's third novel. Her second was The London Eye Mystery, which is more middle-grade, and I haven't read it yet. Her next one, Solace of the Road, is out next year and the tragedy is that there won't be any more after that. Siobhan Dowd died in August 2007 of breast cancer, aged just 47, and Bog Child was published posthumously. I can't help wondering what we might have had to look forward to if she had lived.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I started The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins at half past ten last night. I finally had to put it down, 200 pages in, at half past two in the morning because I had work this morning. Otherwise I would have kept on going straight to the end. A very good book so far, but I'm holding my breath on a final judgment until I reach the end.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix it was AMAZING :)
Another notable is Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange both by Melissa Marr and both of awesomeness

Lilwritermonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably get some flack but.... The CLique Series by Lisi Harrison, Crooked, Zipped and Crushed by Laura and Tom McNeil. After the Rain by Norma Fox Mazer. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Im DYING to read Cut by Patricia McCormick

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
I went on a buying spree to, ya know, support the floundering publishing industry. Just finished bloom by Elizabeth Scott. I really liked it but not for any one reason; it was well-written, stripped down of devices and just real. Okay, onward and forward to the next one.

Mercurio Cavaldi

A shrubbery!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denizkuypers.com
I'm working my way through "The Amber Spyglass" and am having a hard time with it. I loved parts 1 & 2, but this one just doesn't thrill me at all. I always read several books at once, so I'm also reading "The Dead and the Gone" by Pfeffer (I forget her first name) and the original "Pinnocchio" by Collodi (it looks like I'm having a brainfart when it comes to first names at the moment).

I have a bunch of books waiting to be read: the Percy Jackson series, "The God of Mischief," Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart series, "Howl's Moving Castle," and "Narnia."

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. While not YA, I thought the voice felt very YA, even when told through the adult protagonists' point of view.

Up next is Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Inkspill:
Up next is Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

I enjoyed that book - I thought it was a good debut. I keep meaning to buy the sequel - perhaps I should put it on my Christmas list ...

I'm currently reading Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess. I normally like his work, but this one isn't quite doing it for me. Great premise, some v. creepy moments but I think it's the style of narration that's stopping me from connecting with it.

MM

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed that book - I thought it was a good debut. I keep meaning to buy the sequel - perhaps I should put it on my Christmas list ...

I'm currently reading Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess. I normally like his work, but this one isn't quite doing it for me. Great premise, some v. creepy moments but I think it's the style of narration that's stopping me from connecting with it.

MM

I'm normally a huge Melvin Burgess fan, but I couldn't get more than fifty pages into this one.

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
I stayed up late finishing Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce. I love love love her Circle of Magic series and its sequels, and this companion novel was lovely, too.
I originally tried to buy it as an audiobook on cd, as it was originally written for that, but I had problems loading it onto my computer and ended up with the novel version, instead.

Okay, Wicked Lovely is *really* up now. I need to read it because a friend gave me a copy of Ink Exchange...and I'm rather looking forward to it.

I picked up and put down Sara's Face, as well. I thought the premise was intriguing but the narration was bothering me on some level, I suppose. Well done, just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.