What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aberthot

Registered
Reaction score
Right now...

I am eagerly awaiting Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. I LOVED Delirium. She is one of the most talented YA writers out there!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've started an ARC of I HUNT KILLERS by Barry Lyga, which isn't released in the UK until 12th April. I'd thought that it was an 'adult' crime novel but because the protagonist is the 15 year old son of a serial killer, who in turn begins an investigation after bodies start turning up in his home town, I've seen a number of people talk about it having YA cross-over appeal. I'm about 50 pages in and I can definitely see it working as a YA book so far - it's got a great teen voice to it and although it's obviously about murder, it's not unnecessarily gross. In fact, teens who watch CSI should be able to cope with it pretty well.

Anyway, figured I'd mention it here because I know a lot of posters here are interested in cross-over books.

MM

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Started reading Croak by Gina Damico. Really quirky so far. Reminds me of Lemony Snicket's writing but for YA.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Started WHEN THE SEA IS RISING RED before I even finished purchasing it.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to venture into contemporary so I'm reading HEIST SOCIETY & LIAR SOCIETY (totally unrelated books by different authors.) I also picked up the second book in the Infernal Devices series after all the steampunk talk: CLOCKWORK PRINCE. What can I say, Jem is adorable and I like C.C.'s take on steampunk--it rides the border of gaslamp fantasy/Victorian Gothic.

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
I'm just finishing BZRK by Michael Grant, then I'm starting Traitors by Tom Becker which is out in April in the UK and from the opening bits I've read is going to be fabulous :D

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Tempe$t by Julie Cro$s. I found it underwhelming and confusing with all the "time jumping" (and I say this a huge Doctor Who fan) and was left asking, "Okay, so what was the point?"

I think I'm going to go back to my Great Sherlock Holmes Read-Through.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my ARC of I HUNT KILLERS by Barry Lyga. It seems to be pitched as a cross-over YA/adult crime thriller and I think that it is one of those books that would appeal to both young adults and 'adult' crime fans. It's got a 17-year-old protagonist who's the son of a convicted serial killer and who was brought up knowing how to recognise potential victims and kill them without getting caught. I thought that it was a great read - not particularly gory (although there's some reference to severed limbs and a rape reference so it might be more for older teens than younger ones) and there were enough red herrings to keep me guessing. I know we get a lot of questions here about the border between YA and adult and also about how far you can go in YA and this is a good book to answer those questions so I'm also going to add it to the Recommendations Thread (apologies to anyone reading my posts who get a sense of deja vu).

I'm going to read AFTER THE SNOW by S. D. Crockett next, which is another YA dystopian/post apocalyptic book. I'm a bit jaded with them but have been told this has a fantastic voice.

MM

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Same here! Wither was so good, I devoured it in like a day. Been less enthusiastic with Fever, it's been dragging for me.

I just finished Fever and I'm actually angry about...everything. The MC spends almost the entire book complaining or lying in bed. The entire story could have been told in half the time if the MC would stop thinking about how awful everything is. It was extremely disappointing, especially the ending.

But now I'm moving on to Pandemonium and I still have to finish reading Cinder.

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
I just finished Fever and I'm actually angry about...everything. The MC spends almost the entire book complaining or lying in bed. The entire story could have been told in half the time if the MC would stop thinking about how awful everything is. It was extremely disappointing, especially the ending.

But now I'm moving on to Pandemonium and I still have to finish reading Cinder.

Ugh, that's not giving me motivation to finish it. Pandemonium is next up for me too! The reviews sound much better than the ones for Fever.

Status
Not open for further replies.