What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Twenty Boy Summer. Sad in parts, and joyful in others. A beautiful book (and the cover is perfect, which always make me happy; I confess I have a thing for covers).

Doing a beta read for an AW member, and then reading Hate List.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Little Women and A Great and Terrible Beauty over the Christmas holidays, and am now addicted to Rebel Angels

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading both Gringolandia by Lyn Miller-Lachmann (which I am VERY excited about, since the subject matter is something very close to my heart) and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.

Penguin

Inspiration might strike you
Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. Amazing!
About a 14 year old girl from an isolated community who's been forced to marry her 60 year old uncle.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Just finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson.

Just started ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins... is it just me or are the pages in that book extra silky? Seriously. My fingertips are in love.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling decidedly underwhelmed by Ally Condie's MATCHED thus far. Partly it's the heavy-handed foreshadowing. "I wanted to dream about my Match last night, but I didn't. THIS SEEMS SOMEHOW MEANINGFUL. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? I wonder, as I stare out of the window at a sky the colour of DEEP MEANING."

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I swear, people either love that book or they hate it.

I wouldn't say I actively hate it. It's fine. The opening scene was good, and the grandfather's death was well done. But I'm a quarter of the way through and thus far there has been absolutely no plot - just pages and pages of ominous hints that there might in future be plot. And the world-building is kind of nonsensical thus far. I wish it was a little less teenage soap opera and a little more THE HUNGER GAMES.

edit: The heroine is currently sitting between the two love interests. COULD THIS BE SYMBOLIC? :rolleyes: :tongue

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the book, but didn't love it.

The biggest problem I had with it was how the MC would think something, and the person she was with would respond as if she said it. This happened many many times. A few she points it out ("as if reading my mind" or something). But I was drawn into the book pretty well.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just read The Order of the Poison Oak by Brent Hartinger--seriously I love this book so much I want to marry it. It's the sequel to Geography Club. Nice gay boy falls in love while working as a camp counselor for burn survivor little kids.

And I read G1rl, Stolen, about a blind girl who gets inadvertently kidnapped when this kid steals a car. I dunno, I suppose the thriller genre is just not for me. For the first two thirds of the book, nothing happens but a series of tell-y recollections about the MC's life pre-kidnapping, mostly about how blind people get around. Meanwhile I'm thinking, This guy steals an Escalade belonging to the richest man in the entire state and there's no frigging OnStar to show the police where the car has gone?????? I will say at the end the MC was a totally awesome badass, which I really enjoyed. If only there was more badass and less sitting around it would have been great.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I just realized I can't remember the title of the book I'm reading. It's the weird part of having a Kindle, I don't appreciate covers or titles nearly as much.

I just finished THE VESPERTINE by Saundra Mitchell and THE BETRAYAL OF MAGGIE BLAIR. Don't really read a lot of YA historical normally, but I loved those.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I just read P@ran0rma1cy and thought it was awful. Like allovertheplace awful. Gak.

Reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Finished MATCHED today. The plot finally showed up about 95% of the way into the book. Pretty frustrated.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.

Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.
And I wonder how much of this was, "Oh, I have to set it up for a series, and I can't let her figure things out/change too fast"?

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
So I finished The Duff last night. Excellent debut by Kody!! I think it'll really resonate with teenagers.

I got my first e-book from the library today too - Will Grayson, Will Grayson. So our library system only has 100 YA books available for loan and I had to wait a week to get one. Not bad in all, but I wish they'd add more titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.