What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a bunch of great arcs and freebie books at ComiCon! LEG3ND by Marie Lu, DARK INSIDE by Jeyn Roberts, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE by Laini Taylor, NIGHTSHADE by Andrea Cremer, INFINITY by Sherrilyn Kenyon, HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, and about fifteen more...

Can't wait to dig in! I am SO conflicted about what to try first! Gack!

Too much of a good thing? ;)

You want to read Dark Inside first! But I might be biased.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I started Divergent. (Okay, started is an understatement; I'm 190 pages in.) So far I am really enjoying it. So glad for the numerous recommendations people gave me to read it. :)

Haha, whatever happened to the take a break and write? :)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Haha, whatever happened to the take a break and write? :)

My worst possible fear, actually: I have about four chapters that are going to require a total re-write and I need to figure out what has to go there. Might as well keep reading while that sorts itself out in the back of my head. :tongue But it's just the latter half of the middle. I will survive.

Back on topic: Four is awesome. :D I'm having a lot of fun with Divergent.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab. Also picked up WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight and read the first few pages. (Will get to the rest of it later).

Both of these are very good. <-- severe understatement

I loved The Near Witch! I reviewed it on my review blog. Such a fantastic book!

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I loved The Near Witch! I reviewed it on my review blog. Such a fantastic book!

I actually have other books I need to finish ahead of this one, but I always read the first chapter of a book the minute I pick it up from the library, just to see if I like it enough to take home... and I couldn't put it down! :D

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
I've also recently read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma which I didn't care for so much, but couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. The narrators' voices just didn't seem very authentic to me. They made a lot of observations that I couldn't quite believe were from the P.O.V. of teenagers. And although I suspected it wasn't going to end well, the ending felt contrived to me, rather than a realistic outcome given their pretty hopeless situation.

Agreed! I couldn't put it down, true, but once I finished... eh? The ending felt overblown, like it was done to make a point rather than as an organic outcome...

LoveAlwaysLiana

Registered
Reaction score
just finished sister mischief and want to go private. after those heavy books I needed something fluffy so now I'm reading the break up diaries.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I started Awaken last night, and I honestly don't know if I want to finish it. I'm only 40 pages in, but some of the world building is just driving me nuts. I mean the premise is okay, that too much internet and online stuff is cutting people off from each other, but these other things - like there are no trees?? People plant plastic ones instead and in the fall they spray paint them with the fall colors? It's just kind of ridiculous. I usually always try to finish a book once I start it, but with this one, IDK. Has anyone else read it?

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I started Awaken last night, and I honestly don't know if I want to finish it. I'm only 40 pages in, but some of the world building is just driving me nuts. I mean the premise is okay, that too much internet and online stuff is cutting people off from each other, but these other things - like there are no trees?? People plant plastic ones instead and in the fall they spray paint them with the fall colors? It's just kind of ridiculous. I usually always try to finish a book once I start it, but with this one, IDK. Has anyone else read it?

And what is the author's explanation as to how they still breathe? There are some things best left untouched in world building. A world with no trees... Yikes.

I finished Divergent last night. Loved it. Can't wait for a sequel. Still need to write my review.

I'm so glad that all WalMart had that night I was desperate for a book was The Hunger Games. I wouldn't have ended up touching any of this dystopian stuff otherwise. Would've been a real shame, since I've enjoyed all the books I've read so much.

Hmm... Perfect Chemistry, Nevermore or Delirium? I can't seem to decide what I'll read next. My chapters order had better hurry up and get here before I run out of stuff to read. :D

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Chain Reaction. (Hm, I'm kind of disappointed. Somehow the blurb tricked me into believing that finally the girl would be the 'bad one' in the relationship - but she wasn't. I feel cheated. :()

I'm going to read Uncommon Criminals next. But it really annoys me not to know Hale's first name(s). Grr. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed! I couldn't put it down, true, but once I finished... eh? The ending felt overblown, like it was done to make a point rather than as an organic outcome...

Yes, I felt the same ... like it had to have an unhappy ending, so it wouldn't seem like the book was saying their relationship was OK. And their alcoholic mother felt like a plot device rather than a real person. She kept conveniently disappearing and reappearing as required by the plot. I couldn't believe that at the end she's just vanished again as if nothing's happened.

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
Finished the Ask and the Answer, slightly bothered by the ending, but am holding out judgement for the third book.

Picked up a .99cent book on the ipad called Eden by Keary Taylor seems really interesting the first 60ish pages.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Will finish Invincible Summer today. What a different type of contemp for me. her writing and story are actually really refreshing and so realistic. I think my new expression instead of Holy Shit will be Shitdamn and/or Holy Moskowitz :)

After these last few pages, I will be reading Vampire Academy.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
And what is the author's explanation as to how they still breathe? There are some things best left untouched in world building. A world with no trees... Yikes.

Yeah, that was pretty much my question. She says there are some trees outside the city, but still, it's like really? And everyone is going to be content with plastic trees and synthetic grass when people spend hundreds of dollars on their gardens these days ? Most everything else in the story I could see (well maybe except the thing with there not being anymore CARS), but we're talking only 50 years into the future. It was just too much. Not going to finish it. I have other more interesting ones to read these days.

Awesome that you liked Divergent. :)

I liked Perfect Chemistry, but I wasn't a huge fan as some people are. I haven't read the others on your list. :)

I'm reading Split by Swati Avashi right now. Very engaging male voice and deep story. I'm really enjoying it.

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
Read Divergent, Anna and the French Kiss, and Paranormalcy this week... and enjoyed them all in their own ways.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HUNTING LILA by Sarah Alderson and it left me cold. The story was predictable in every way, I never felt any sympathy for the MC (who is an utter ninny) and the male lead is defined almost exclusively by his hotness. There's a set up for a sequel but I won't be checking it out.

Started GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan and I'm not getting into it so far. The 'religious extremism' plot strand is a bit heavy-handed and there's a lot of telling rather than showing. But I shall continue with it.

MM

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Sweetly by Jackson Pearce right now. It's pretty good so far. I've been in to fairytale re-writes recently.

CaseyMcG

Registered
Reaction score
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.

You know the author is a member of this board, right? Has been since long before her book deal. She's lovely. :LilLove:

Status
Not open for further replies.