What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
One of the MCs hides relevant information they know about one of the big mysteries of the book so that when it's revealed at the very end, it can shock you. The idea that this character would never think about that information while thinking about the situation is ridiculous.

That sounds like the revelation about 1/3rd of the way into Evernight. Suddenly the MC is like "oh yeah, so this <huge thing I didn't tell you>." And that made me distrust everything she thought/said/did from then on. Didn't like >.>

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Now reading: Vacations from Hell, short stories with a dark, paranormal vibe from Libba Bray, Claudia Gray, Cassandra Clare, and a couple others that I can't remember right now.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney and I've got to say that it just didn't work for me at all. The plot doesn't really get going until about half-way through when the female MC's male best friend gets kidnapped by evil elves and even then it gets mired in a quagmire of exposition and clunky foreshadowing that stops it from ever really taking off. I didn't connect with any of the characters and the love triangle with the hottie Halfling and the best friend is just so overdone in YA fiction these days. I feel really, really bad about not liking it, but it just left me cold and I don't really want to read the next book.

I'm now reading THE DEMON COLLECTOR by Jon Mayhew, which is the sequel (of sorts) to MORTLOCK and isn't released in the UK until next month.

MM

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished The Demon's Lexicon. I feel like an agent saying this, but while I thought it was really well-written, I just never connected with the book.

Ahahaha!

Do you think it has merit, but you just didn't fall in love with it?

Do you hope another reader feels differently but it's just not right for you?

Is it too similar to other books on your shelves? Or maybe you just didn't see where it fit in the market?

Too funny!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ahahaha!

Do you think it has merit, but you just didn't fall in love with it?

Do you hope another reader feels differently but it's just not right for you?

Is it too similar to other books on your shelves? Or maybe you just didn't see where it fit in the market?

Too funny!
Definitely the first two, not the last one.

Sadly, I think it was a timing issue. I was feeling impatient when I started the book and it was seeming to take me forever to get through the beginning, and then other books kept popping up that I wanted to read more. So I just kept reading it in bits and pieces until the last third which I finished last night.

A La Vanille

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I can't believe I've never got around to reading John Green, even though I practically know the guy from watching his youtube vids and reading his twitter. xP

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just finished THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney and I've got to say that it just didn't work for me at all. The plot doesn't really get going until about half-way through when the female MC's male best friend gets kidnapped by evil elves and even then it gets mired in a quagmire of exposition and clunky foreshadowing that stops it from ever really taking off. I didn't connect with any of the characters and the love triangle with the hottie Halfling and the best friend is just so overdone in YA fiction these days. I feel really, really bad about not liking it, but it just left me cold and I don't really want to read the next book.

I think you just saved me some money. I actually saw this book today at my Safeway for 40% off. I picked it up, read the blurb and to me it screamed been done, just not as good (I was think it sound very similar to Need by Carrie Jones) so I put it down and though I'd read some reviews. With your's and other's I've decided to save my money.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
AlishaS:
(I was think it sound very similar to Need by Carrie Jones)

A little. Need has evil glitter pixies. The Iron Witch has evil twig elves. (And on a side note, I've read Need and that did not work for me at all either and actually put me off paranormal romance for a while).

It's one of those books I'd say is a library read or a borrow from a friend read (and I do feel awful for saying that because Karen Mahoney is a really nice person in RL).

MM

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I can't believe I've never got around to reading John Green, even though I practically know the guy from watching his youtube vids and reading his twitter. xP

That's my favorite JG novel! His others are great, too, though. Read them. Now. :D

SaturnV

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Across the Universe. I like it so far, but I don't love it. I'm a little underwhelmed. I don't know if it's the main female character or the world-building, but something's a little off to me.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well I told myself on Sunday, after finishing the last VA book that I would wait until at least Friday before I went out and bought another book...
I have an addiction and need to seek help. I bought two books today. However they were both 30% off at Walmart so at least I can say they were "on sale"

So I am reading Bloody Valentine, A Blueblood Book by Melissa De La Cruz It's seems it's just a fluff book to fill in the space between the last book and the next books. So far I'm not seeing it's point. Oh well, at least I didn't pay full price. And why oh why is it a weird small short hardcover book? It really isn't going to look nice on my shelf!

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I just read Wintergirls (on recommendation of peeps here-- had only read Speak) and I gotta be honest: it destroyed me. 'lil bit.

Started Matched for something a little more... fluffy?

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bloody Valentine... Meh. It was a quick read at about 150 pages and really, I'm not sure it need to be in a book all it's own.

Now reading Intertwined by Gena Showalter. I pick it up on a whim, though I can't seem to get into it as I had hoped.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Finally getting around to reading The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind. The voice is great, instantly grabbed me.

buckeyegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and I LOVED IT! I have not enjoyed a book that much since I read The Hunger Games. You have to read this book!

I started Delirium by Lauren Oliver and so far it's kind of a slow read. It didn't start getting interesting for me until 40 pages in. I think maybe she uses too much description and that's what's slowing the pace down for me. I prefer a fast-read, one that I just cannot put down, and so far Delirium hasn't reached that level for me (Anna, by the way, hooked me from page one and wouldn't let go...in fact, I'll probably read it again soon. No joke).

elissamarie

Registered
Reaction score
I am ignoring my adult fiction book club book in favor of the Fug Girls' Spoiled, an ARC of which just landed on my desk. Can't wait!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
That sounds like the revelation about 1/3rd of the way into Evernight. Suddenly the MC is like "oh yeah, so this <huge thing I didn't tell you>." And that made me distrust everything she thought/said/did from then on. Didn't like >.>

Uh oh. I just started reading Evernight! I am hoping it will be good cause I think I like the writer. Anybody who can give me chills in a 1 page prologue has my vote =)

And I just finished reading Shadow hills. Not terrible but not great. The suspenseful moments lacked emotion and I felt the narrative was unrealistic at times. Here is an example of both in one " I saw a black shadow in my peripheral vision". I hated this line! What teen girl says "peripheral vision" in a situation like that? and that phrase really does nothing to get my blood pumping. The story idea was not bad but there was a bit too much build up for not enough pay off.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Just finished Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and I LOVED IT! I have not enjoyed a book that much since I read The Hunger Games. You have to read this book!

I'm reading this as we speak. I second the amazingness! It is hilarious and sweet and captivating. I LOVE IT!

I read The Duff two nights ago and Kody surpassed my expectations. I stayed up 'til 2am to finish it! WONDERFUL and REAL. Go Kody!!! Can't wait to see what's next!!!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Bermudez Triangle. While I thought it had some interesting things to say about exploring sexuality, overall I did not like it much and thought it had some problematic assertions (like saying multiple times that bisexuals are horny/oversexed people who can't make up their minds). Although I don't think it's the job of YA lit to tell everyone what good thoughts to think, when it comes to LGBT content, I actually do think it's important to be clear about what's cool and what's not, and I was surprised to see it in a book like this. I did enjoy Nina agonizing over whether she was a homophobe because she was distressed about her two BFFs hooking up. Also, boo whitewashed cover! What the heck?

Now I'm reading the fifth Imaginarium Geographica book--The Dragon's Apprentice by James A Owen. I love these books so so much. I don't know why they aren't more insanely popular. Wonderful mashup of myth and fantasy and writers, and it's exciting and funny. And JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis are the main characters! Also, there are dragons. They are making a movie, people. Get on board now so that you can be snobby about your fandom when the movie comes out! :D

shelleykoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.DarkWrites.com
I'm rapidly losing patience with Beautiful Creatures. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to finish it.

Oh thank God I'm not the only one!

I struggled through it but - yeah... I just did not care about the characters - and I really wanted to! There were times that it was really noticeable that it was written by two people as it felt disjointed. I'd love to delve into further why I was not a fan but - and this is the truth - I hardly remember a thing about it. I rad it less than a month ago - that should tell you something...

I'm currently reading Switched by Amanda Hocking - on the fence about it. I love her whole story of being turned down time and again by agents and publishers and then self publishing and selling over 500,000 books on her own. That said - she should take a look at getting her work edited and republishing it (and she actually has stated in blog posts I have read that the editing needs work).

I'll let ya know what I think when I finish it ;)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished THE DEMON COLLECTOR by Jon Mayhew which is a companion novel to MORTLOCK (set in the same Victorian period but featuring different characters). It's thoroughly enjoyable, has an intrepid hero and plenty of nasty demons - all in all it's another dark delight.

I'm switching to 'grown up' fiction for a while but the next YA I read will probably be DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver as it's been sitting on my To Read Pile for a few weeks.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
My e-library is getting me stoked! I have about 40 titles on my wish list now, about 8 that I'm in line to get, 2 currently checked out, and they just added more titles that I've been waiting to read!! I added 3 more Sarah Dessen books, Deadtossed Waves (Carrie Ryan). I'm ho-humming about The Iron Witch since you guys are saying that it was just so-so. There's another book by Gayle Forman that I hadn't heard of - Sisters in Sanity, anyone read that?? And they have the 5th book in the Fragile Eternity series - it isn't even supposed to be out until the 22nd. I need to check out the fourth book again because I had a hard time getting into it, but the fifth one sounds really good.

Someone stop this addiction, please!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.