What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading PARTIALS, so far, it's pretty interesting, but I wonder why it became a YA. I mean, yes, the main character is 17, but it reads more like she's 25. She's a nurse, has no adults controlling her life, has a calm, stable, long-term romantic relationship, etc.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt right now. It reminds me a lot of the books I used to read in grade school (as far as tone/atmosphere goes), so I like the nostalgia.

I read that a couple of years ago and really liked it.

I just finished Entangled by Cat Clarke which I thought was a good read, although at times the dialogue didn't sound completely realistic to me.

I can't decide what to read next! There's lots of unread YA on my shelves that I should try to tackle.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished GLOW. Got distracted from that one. Just started ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD and have a good feeling about it so far.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished AU REVOIR, CRAZY EUROPEAN CHICK by Joe Schreiber, which is basically COLLATERAL meets KILL BILL for teens. It's an enjoyable romp but if you stop to think about the plot then it doesn't really stand up. Still, it had me sniggering and turning the pages.

Am currently reading THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's only just started to get going, which is a bit frustrating. The writing's fine but not setting me on fire and I can see it being one of those books where the mystery element of what happened to Mara and her friends in the abandoned insane asylum is dragged out through the text. Will keep at it though.

Not sure what I'll read after, but I'm definitely in the mood for some zombie fiction.

MM

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be starting MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by Bethany Griffin here any second now

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick again, in my loo times.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Black City by Elizabeth Richards. VERY excited for this one.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give Sarah Dessen another chance. I read The Truth About Forever a few years ago and wasn't impressed (it wasn't awful or anything, but it wasn't memorable, either), but I'm going to give Along for the Ride a try.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Marbury Lens. I had such high expectations, but while the prose was good and the story was very compelling, the plot never seemed to come together. Also, the love interest had no identity beyond being a love interest.

Currently reading Wanderlove. I like it a lot so far.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I'm going to give Sarah Dessen another chance. I read The Truth About Forever a few years ago and wasn't impressed (it wasn't awful or anything, but it wasn't memorable, either), but I'm going to give Along for the Ride a try.

I just finished AFTR yesterday (my 3rd SD book). I haven't read TTAF, but I'm guessing you probably won't change your opinion (but tell me if I'm wrong, lol!). I quite enjoy her books - I think she's a consistent writer. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to read Shatter Me yesterday. Got to about page 40 and decided that I just couldn't hack it any more. I love great prose, but this was like eating 20 sticks of cotton candy in a row. TOO MUCH PURPLE.

Starting Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. I like the MC so far

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score

SD is very consistent, all her books have a long drawn out beginning with lots of backstory and characters that are a little quirky but don't really stay with you. My guess is that you won't change your mind about her writing since they're all about the same. My favorite of hers was Just Listen. That one had me in tears.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SD is very consistent, all her books have a long drawn out beginning with lots of backstory and characters that are a little quirky but don't really stay with you. My guess is that you won't change your mind about her writing since they're all about the same. My favorite of hers was Just Listen. That one had me in tears.

I got Just Listen from the library too, actually. I started AFTR last night before bed, but didn't get far. You're exactly right. Lots of backstory and information about people other than the MC. I know tons about the MC's mother, but can't even remember the MC's name at this point, and don't know a thing about her except that she lives with her mother.

Mik

losing way too much sleep over this
Registered
Reaction score
Legend by Marie Lu.

Starting to want stuff besides dystopians, however. Some favorites that come to mind right now are Hunger Games (the first two, at least), Divergent, Delirium, and Shatter Me.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Lots of backstory and information about people other than the MC. I know tons about the MC's mother, but can't even remember the MC's name at this point, and don't know a thing about her except that she lives with her mother.

I am not a fan of Sarah Dessen for this very reason (which is sad because she writes my genre of choice). But to each their own opinion...

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I read Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan last night. Was kind of cute though i don't know if that's what he was going for. :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
About halfway through A Great and Terrible Beauty. So well written--I love these characters. All of them. And I especially like that even the members of Evil Teenage Clique (because these boarding school stories always have an Evil Teenage Clique) are layered and complicated. I might have to round out the entire Gemme Doyle trilogy when I'm done.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished Girl of Fire and Thorns, and loved it. A lot. At first I abandoned it because it was moving pretty slowly, but the pace picks up once the second half begins and it's just one thrilling, emotional ride to the end. It's the first time in a while that a book actually made me cry...definitely an unexpected ending.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the sequel, though, since the story seems pretty well wrapped up to me.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin and it left me really meh. For most of the book, I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a thriller with paranormal overtones or a contemporary story about PTSD and to be honest, I wasn't sure that the author really knew either. Then it finally decides in the final quarter that it's going to be a paranormal type story but there's still no real explanation for what's going on and worse, when the MC has a chance to get an explanation she never really asks the obvious questions and instead bickers with her hot boyfriend.

On the plus side, I did like the PTSD scenes and the way Hodkin shows their impact on the MC and I also like the fact that the MC is not your standard white girl but has an Indian mother (poor show on Simon & Schuster for whitewashing the UK cover). Unfortunately though I found the book too long and too slow for what it was and the big twist at the end really wasn't enough for me to be in any hurry to read the next volume.

I'm in the mood for some zombie fiction at the moment because we all know that zombies make everything better. I've picked up WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion, which is a 'grown up' book rather than YA but I believe that zombies are for all ages.

:nods:

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.