What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorockmomma

Registered
Reaction score
Georgia by way of Brooklyn by way of Trinidad
An Abundance of Katherines may be my favorite John Green novel, but it's so hard to choose. :D

Smish--I'm picking it up off my window sill as I type, LOL. Time to get cozy with Johnny boy once again...hehe.

BTW, LOVE that Sara Zarr quote in your sig. I need it typed into the header of each of my manuscript pages!

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I finished Little Brother

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.

Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.

I'm reading how To Say Goodbye in Robot. Which is so good so far :D

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.
<sigh> Is my heart coal-black or what? I should qualify: I didn't dislike ALL of it. But by the last quarter it just felt like she was trying to make every single thread tie up neatly/be super meaningful. And it just didn't fit, IMO.

The last book I loved in that vein (grief & desire) was The Sky is Everywhere and it just KILLED in every sense. So much trust and heart... SUPERBOOKCRUSH. :heart:

Last edited:

Joslin Dee

Forgetting book endings is my superpower
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome. :)

trillium

Trillium
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.

It must have worked. A professor describes lines of boys following him around when he makes appearances!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome. :)

I liked it too. I thought it worked really well on a thematic level - discussing what love is, whether there's such a thing as a soulmate, whether it's right to dedicate your whole life to one person, what the spirit bond means. Rose has really grown up through the series. I was particularly impressed with how she handled the situation with Adrian - obviously not so much impressed by the cheating, but more that she was able to recognise that Adrian isn't fully mature yet, that he's still self-destructing, that he needs an emotional crutch to prop him up - and Rose is all grown up and doesn't need a co-dependent relationship with Adrian when she and Dimitri have a relationship of equals. And I really like that.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
My last couple of books were Hold Still (didn't love it - I've read quite a few similar books lately so that may have put me off) and The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta (love!).

I'm now reading Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager (thanks DrummerGirl!) and it's great, really evocative and truthful.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Rereading THE TRAITOR GAME by B.R. Collins. I wickedlove it more the second time.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.

SarahWesten

Zombies were people too...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queserasarahwrites.blogspot.com
Gave up on Fallen by Lauren Kate just couldn't get past the second chapter, I'm not sure why. Reading two books currently. Last Sacrifice by Rachel Mead and The Monstrumologist By Richard Yancey, both pulled me in super quickly.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I'm reading Burning for Revenge by John Marsden, which is #5 in the Tomorrow series. Great series!

I'm reading #6 right now :D

Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.

I can't choose my favourite between them either. They are both whimsical and funny but with a different vibe.

I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.

I just finished it :) I liked it, but not as much as the hype.

I think it was to my detriment that I recently read the Giver. I kept getting distracted by similarities. Also - I so much was in awe of the world building in Across the Universe (another dystopian I read a couple of weeks back) that the world building in Matched seemed so simple and flawed in comparison.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I'm going through the whole Wrinkle in Time series. This was my favorite of the series as a kid, but I'm wondering if that's from all the unicorn, star, harmony, blue-green dolphin, purple-pink bird, type of imagery ;)

I'm finding with these that it takes me about half of the book before I actually get interested in the plot. It's a very interesting experience because I remember loving them as a kid

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I just finished Brenna Yovanoff's THE REPLACEMENT and really enjoyed it :D While the whole Changeling theme definitely isn't a new one, I just couldn't help but love the way this was written with lots of eerie creepiness about people choosing to look away from the ugly things happening in their lives.

Also chiming in with lots of love for LAST SACRIFICE, especially under the aspect of empowerment and the definition of what a healthy relationship is like and how neither a partner nor a friend should function as a crutch. :)

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
Just finished Unhooking the Moon. Liked the voice but I was a little disappointed in the ending. Currently reading Matched by Alie Condie - quite a page-turner. She's really great at weaving the world through the plot. It seems like every couple of pages something new pops up that drives you to keep reading.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read. :(

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read. :(

I loved that book, but he's definitely not how I pictured Finn. I'm a little disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.