What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Knife of Never Letting Go and actually did a review, sort of. Really enjoyed it.

Nomes, 101??? Srsly???? I know you read a lot, but dang girl, with being sick earlier in the year I thought you had slowed down a bit. 101.... I thought I was at least keeping pace with you. *walks off mumbling to self*

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading SAVING JUNE by Hannah Harrington. It is a YA debut and OH MY GOSH ~ you guys. I am in love with it o_O

For some weird reason it is out in Australia but not yet released anywhere else (it is a US author). It's in my top three reads this year ~ out of the 101 books I have read so far. I don't know exactly why I love it so much just that I do ~ it's everything I love about contemp.
Hannah is another AWer. She's traininvain (she hasn't been on in a while, but you can see an old thread of hers on the front page of YA :))

I'll have to look out for SJ (probably when I can justify a trip to the bookstore for another AWer's book comes out next week, Suzanne Young (roskoebaby)'s A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL)

Right now I am reading THE BOYFRIEND LIST by e. lockhart

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Knife of Never Letting Go and actually did a review, sort of. Really enjoyed it.

Nomes, 101??? Srsly???? I know you read a lot, but dang girl, with being sick earlier in the year I thought you had slowed down a bit. 101.... I thought I was at least keeping pace with you. *walks off mumbling to self*

are you kidding? it's when she WAS sick that she was laying in bed tearing through those books! :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
are you kidding? it's when she WAS sick that she was laying in bed tearing through those books! :)

Ah, see she told me that she felt too tired and exhausted to even read then. Perhaps it was all a ruse to throw me off track.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
Wow, I haven't posted here in a LONG time. I just finished M@ze Runn3r...feeling a bit ambivalent about reading the next one. It didn't fulfill my expectations.

Pondering what to read next. I picked up M@ndy Hubb@rd's Y0u W!$h at the library, but I've also got Northern Light, and since I loved, loved, loved Revolution I'm feeling like I should see what I've been missing.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Hannah is another AWer. She's traininvain (she hasn't been on in a while, but you can see an old thread of hers on the front page of YA :))

I'll have to look out for SJ (probably when I can justify a trip to the bookstore for another AWer's book comes out next week, Suzanne Young (roskoebaby)'s A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL)

Now I am even prouder, an AWer (wOOT!) I seriously am crazy-in-love with her book. I reviewed it on goodreads today (for more info about how much it rocks, haha). it was incredibly sexy <3

Ah, see she told me that she felt too tired and exhausted to even read then. Perhaps it was all a ruse to throw me off track.

haha, you guys are too funny.

this is how it went down ...

I was sick and in hospital/bed-rest for 4 months (ie ~ no work :)).

for the first month practically dying ;) and couldn't read at all. a month without reading felt like a very long time o_O

For the following three months too sick to do pretty much anything but lie in bed and oscillate between sleeping and reading. So I guess it did give me a bit of a head start with reading for the year ... (as for my writing. well, I am behind there, haha)

tcllnsfmly

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start "Jessica's Guide to dating on the Dark Side" and I stopped Shiver before that and read Crank before that book. Crank is very good; I like poetry and Shiver didn't speak to me at all. The plot is weak, the characters jumped in and out of their personalities (a shy girl pinches the hot guys butt type thing). I have a few other books on my about to read list!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Now I am even prouder, an AWer (wOOT!) I seriously am crazy-in-love with her book. I reviewed it on goodreads today (for more info about how much it rocks, haha). it was incredibly sexy <3

haha, you guys are too funny.

this is how it went down ...

I was sick and in hospital/bed-rest for 4 months (ie ~ no work :)).

for the first month practically dying ;) and couldn't read at all. a month without reading felt like a very long time o_O

For the following three months too sick to do pretty much anything but lie in bed and oscillate between sleeping and reading. So I guess it did give me a bit of a head start with reading for the year ... (as for my writing. well, I am behind there, haha)

Ah, the story comes out. :) I don't wish that I was as sick as you were, but I do wish that I could get 3 months sick leave, just to catch up on all my reading and writing. Guess that's what retirement is for.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Reading Lord of Misrule by Rachel Cain, the 5th in the Morganville Vampires Series.

I've really enjoyed all these books to date, there are a few things that are slowly driving me bonkers, the MC Clare cries, ALOT. I mean it seems in all honestly at least once in ever chapter she sheds some tears, or bawls like a baby. It's getting to be a little much, as it seems to be here only emotion that really get's written down. Also the narrator sometimes falls flat for me.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Lord of Misrule by Rachel Cain, the 5th in the Morganville Vampires Series.

I've really enjoyed all these books to date, there are a few things that are slowly driving me bonkers, the MC Clare cries, ALOT. I mean it seems in all honestly at least once in ever chapter she sheds some tears, or bawls like a baby. It's getting to be a little much, as it seems to be here only emotion that really get's written down. Also the narrator sometimes falls flat for me.

Haha, I read the first one. It was okay. I didn't particularly like the way that she was always doing something to put herself in danger. Does that continue in the rest of them?

I liked Vampire Academy much better. I've only read the first of that series, but I've been meaning to pick up the next one. Try that series out if you haven't yet. :)

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Haha, I read the first one. It was okay. I didn't particularly like the way that she was always doing something to put herself in danger. Does that continue in the rest of them?

I liked Vampire Academy much better. I've only read the first of that series, but I've been meaning to pick up the next one. Try that series out if you haven't yet. :)

Vampire Academy is SOOOO much better! lol I've read them all and was really sad to see the series end.

And yup, five books in and little naive Clare is constantly putting herself in danger by doing stupid things, and crying boohoo all the time. I also am not sold on her relationship, I think it's getting to be too much of the same thing. He does something stupid, she stomps off--cries--and then they make up. That also happens at least twice a novel, it's getting old. Really, the whole thing is getting old.
I just started Carpe Corpus by Rachel Cain, and for me the story is dragging on. And, AND there are still what, like five books left to date, and more on the way? Gah!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Finished THE DEMON'S SURRENDER this morning and it was amazing. Definitely one of those cases making me sad that I tore through a book in less than a day, but just couldn't put it down.

Re: The Morganville Vampires series, I enjoyed the first six books (which pretty much form a coherent plot, which after that pretty much falls apart), but totally agree on your issues with Claire. I thought a lot of the supporting characters were much more fun than the protagonist.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
And yup, five books in and little naive Clare is constantly putting herself in danger by doing stupid things, and crying boohoo all the time. I also am not sold on her relationship, I think it's getting to be too much of the same thing. He does something stupid, she stomps off--cries--and then they make up. That also happens at least twice a novel, it's getting old. Really, the whole thing is getting old.

That's rather disappointing. I'll have to really think about whether I want to continue with that series. There are so many others on my TBR list.

wavy3

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Vampire Academy is SOOOO much better! lol I've read them all and was really sad to see the series end.

I just started Carpe Corpus by Rachel Cain, and for me the story is dragging on. And, AND there are still what, like five books left to date, and more on the way? Gah!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Leave Shane out of it! Make fun of Claire all you want, but Shane is off limits. :D

I also don't get the hype about VA. I liked it well enough, but I just don't think it's anything ground-breaking.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Leave Shane out of it! Make fun of Claire all you want, but Shane is off limits. :D

I also don't get the hype about VA. I liked it well enough, but I just don't think it's anything ground-breaking.

I don't think it's ground breaking either or else I would have read the whole series by now. Just that it's better than MV. I do like the MC though. She reminds me of Faith from Buffy - only less psychotic.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Fat Vampire was fantastic. It poked fun at everything YA vampire today and there was an awesome homage to The Lost Boys in it. It really couldn't get any better.

Started The Last Vampire 2: Black Blood by Christopher Pike. I love how ruthless the MC is. Gives me a nice sigh of relief when compared to all of the vampire pussies lately.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I finished Carpe Corpus by Rachel Cain today, it's the sixth book in the series and you know what... this series is really getting to me, and not in a good way. I loved them, I really did until I got to this one. I can't stand little Clair boohooing all the time. She's seveteen!!! Act like it, and stop crying about everything. True to form her and her man of course, got into a few little tiff, with quick make ups... blah.
Also the insane jumping between who's good, who's bad (who's just pretending) I know she was trying to keep us on our toes, and not make it so obvious, but in the end, I was just bored. I almost didn't care how it ended.
Though this book did end, most things all tied up, I am curious to know how Rachel Cain plans to carry the series and plot for another 5 (at least) books. I almost want to stop here, on a semi good note instead of moving forward.

I have to books right now to choose from, when it comes to what to read next... will post back when I decide :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just rather enjoyed Chasing AllieCat, about badass girls who race mountain bikes, and murder mysteries and whatnot. Highly recommend!

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I started Cryptic Cravings by Ellen Schreiber, it's in the Vampire Kisses series.
I've always enjoyed this series, as a very light read, tame vampires and a cute romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.