What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.

I got it from the library and I'm really glad that I didn't spend the money on it. Though, like I said it was a great premise.

I skimmed like... 90% of it. >.>

:) I was probably more like 50%.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm probably the last person in the world to read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (and I haven't seen the movie, either), but I'm reading it now.

And LOVING it. I'll probably read the whole book today. :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm probably the last person in the world to read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (and I haven't seen the movie, either), but I'm reading it now.

Nope not the last. I heard of it, but didn't even think of putting it in my TBR pile. going there now. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com

I haven't read it either, but have seen the movie. I should maybe add it to my TBR list as well.

I just started Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I started THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney, which has a great premise (essentially it draws on the old fairy legend of the girl with no hands as a starting point). Unfortunately I've had to do the unthinkable and put it down. The idea's great, the problem (for me) is the writing. It's really exposition heavy, important information is signalled with anvils, the characters are stereotypes and it suffers from Stupid Syndrome, where people do stupid things they know are stupid in order to move the plot forward. I feel awful saying it, because I've met Karen in RL and she is absolutely lovely, but this is not shaping up to be my bag. I'm about a third of the way through but have broken off to read something else instead and will try picking it up again afterwards.

MM

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I started THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney, which has a great premise (essentially it draws on the old fairy legend of the girl with no hands as a starting point). Unfortunately I've had to do the unthinkable and put it down. The idea's great, the problem (for me) is the writing. It's really exposition heavy, important information is signalled with anvils, the characters are stereotypes and it suffers from Stupid Syndrome, where people do stupid things they know are stupid in order to move the plot forward.

Glad it wasn't just me! I found the dialogue particularly grating - the protagonist and her friend seemed to have whole conversations made up entirely of sappy talk-show cliches. It's all "I'll always be there for you", and "You're so important to me, I couldn't bear to lose your friendship".

Last edited:

elissamarie

Registered
Reaction score

I've never given this one a try! I'll have to put it on my list. I've also got a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson staring at me from my bookshelf, I'll have to have a David Levithan weekend one of these days ...

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Matched. I enjoyed some aspects of it, but it wasn't amazing. I could imagine loving it when I was a young teen - maybe 12/13 - but it was rather simplistic for me now.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just read Psyche In A Dress and Girl Goddess #9 by Francesca Lia Block. Now I picked up The Bermudez Triangle--so far it doesn't seem to be my style, too fluffy and not much going on, but I shall try to persevere as the story sounds interesting.

AmyJ

Registered
Reaction score
I love Cassandra Clare. I read all of her books including the first in her new series, The Infernal Devices/Clockwork Angel.

I just finished reading the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking
Switched
Torn
Ascend
Hocking is an Indie writer and I found her books on Kindle (I so love my Kindle!)
I love books that make me feel something. This trilogy definitely did that. I found myself getting pissed off at the main character through out the trilogy but could not stop reading. I read all 3 books in a week.
Right now I'm reading...
Fallen - just started it and loving it!

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Just finished Matched. I enjoyed some aspects of it, but it wasn't amazing. I could imagine loving it when I was a young teen - maybe 12/13 - but it was rather simplistic for me now.

I was in the same boat about that one. Really bummed cause they made a huge deal @ comicon about it. Oh, well.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hero, by Perry Moore is next on my list. I'll probably start it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading it, since I've heard such great things about it.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I have just finished Jason Wallace's Out of Shadows, which won the Costa Book Award in the Children's Fiction category. Set in a private boys' school in Zimbabwe in the 80s after Mugabe's rise to power, it is very good indeed and deals quite unflinchingly with racism and white resentment of the new black-led regime (some tribal infighting notwithstanding) which leads to violence. Very definitely upper YA for being so unflinching - which includes strong language and sexual references - hence the "Not Suitable for Younger Readers" label on the back cover.

Like Lucy Christopher's Stolen (her Flyaway was on the shortlist) it benefits hugely from its sense of a foreign place.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I finished Last Sacrafice by Richelle Mead today, Vampire Academy.

I was happy with out it ended, sort of. A few things bothered me but hey, not all the string can be tied up.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about the start of a Spinoff series.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Across the Universe last night. Not quite sure how I feel about it. I kind of feel like the author cheated the readers.

Still making my way through The Demon's Lexicon. And I started Marcelo in the Real World.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Across the Universe last night. Not quite sure how I feel about it. I kind of feel like the author cheated the readers.

Really? I was thinking of buying that one. Can you say how you thought it cheated the reader without giving too much away?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One of the MCs hides relevant information they know about one of the big mysteries of the book so that when it's revealed at the very end, it can shock you. The idea that this character would never think about that information while thinking about the situation is ridiculous.

I liked the book up until then. At that point, I was like, "Oh, wow," then, "Wait a second..." and then everything after that (admittedly, only a few pages) seemed clumsily handled.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
One of the MCs hides relevant information they know about one of the big mysteries of the book so that when it's revealed at the very end, it can shock you. The idea that this character would never think about that information while thinking about the situation is ridiculous.

I liked the book up until then. At that point, I was like, "Oh, wow," then, "Wait a second..." and then everything after that (admittedly, only a few pages) seemed clumsily handled.

That would bug me too. *sigh* maybe I'll get something else and wait to get that one from the library.

Repped you. :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm about to start Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I've wanted to read this for a while and I've heard a lot of good things about it. Hopefully it lives up for me.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished The Demon's Lexicon. I feel like an agent saying this, but while I thought it was really well-written, I just never connected with the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.