What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesh

i love books....lol
Registered
Reaction score
The Gunslinger by Stephen King but I'm not feeling it so much. Clockwork Angel is really good and Levithian By Scott Westerfield.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished SHIVER last night! Such beautiful writing! I never thought I'd get so into a werewolf story. About halfway through, I wasn't sure if I'd read LINGER, but now I think I'm going to have to.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also listening to Beautiful Creatures.

Maybe this is what I need to do. I keep getting stuck. Same with A SWEET FAR THING. It's just soooo long!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and it did not work for me at all. Firstly it reads very much like a Hollywood version of Victorian London - with it's bad weather, carriages and parks for promenading. The descriptions of Whitechapel (used as a stereotypical Bad Place) especially chafed because Whitechapel was a slum in the 19th century, filled with ramshackle buildings housing up to 50 people a time and whores charging a penny for a poke against a wall rather than glamorous brothels and sinister houses. Secondly, the plot is incredibly similar to Mortal Instruments - teenage girl discovers she has super special powers after being put in immediate, life threatening danger, is rescued by an arrogant, snarky and incredibly good looking boy from whom she learns about Shadowhunters and their world. The male lead is a carbon copy of Jace, his friend is Simon (complete with special illness), and the female lead a copy of Clary. Thirdly, it's too over-written for my tastes - descriptions go on for too long, there's the same over-reliance on elaborate similes and dialogue never rings true either for the period or the age of the protagonists.

Basically, it hit every one of my Gah! areas when it comes to YA fiction.

:breathes:

Fortunately I've just started Before I Die by Jenny Downham, which is absolutely brilliant. A moving account of a teenage girl with terminal cancer who draws up a list of things she wants to do before she dies, this is a fabulously well written book with a great central voice and well observed characters. I can see both why it won and was nominated for a number of prestigious awards.

MM

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this is what I need to do. I keep getting stuck. Same with A SWEET FAR THING. It's just soooo long!

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I got about 150 pages in, skipped ahead a bit and then gave up. It's really, really boring. (Review at my blog, if you're interested!)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just read "The Adoration of Jenna Fox". I have to say, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. The writing is amazing. The writer seems to not know the difference between bacteria and viruses (though maybe that's the fault of bad editing), but I am willing to forgive that.

Currently reading "the less-dead" by April Lurie. It's about a straight kid trying to figure out who is murdering all these gay foster kids (including his friend) in the name of their warped brand of Christianity in Austin, TX. So far it's great but a little bit scary.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I just finished 'Wings' by Aprilynne Pike.

*SPOILERS*

The begining was such a flatline, but it picked up. I think tho, what broke the suspension of disbelief for me was how she tells a boy she's only just met about the flower growing out of her back, even tho her background was homeschooling with next to no interaction with people her age or boys. For me, that was a big one, especially when she didn't tell her mom first, when the author set them up as being quite close. It pulled me out of the story.

Any thoughts on this one?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I just finished Other by Karen Kincy. It was okay, a book that you would probably want to borrow from the library or a friend, instead of outright buying it.

Right now, I'm reading Take Me There by Carolee Dean. So far it's really good. Started off strong, and it's refreshing to read a male POV.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which I loved. I'll either go on to read The Girl Who Played with Fire or finish either Genius Wars by Catherine Jinks or The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
On my way through ttyl by Lauren Myracle. While I'm getting a little tired of the Im speak and the overall plot, I like the crassness and pure rawness that the characters talk about. I can see how this one ended up on the banned books list. Female ejaculation! Oh noes! An anatomical fact! What's next? Breast milk?

K.C. Robertson

Sitting underneath my laptop
Registered
Reaction score
most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
Website
procrastinationpartyofone.wordpress.com
I just finished Kiersten White's Paranormalcy, which I adored (loved the protagonist!), and Clare's Clockwork Angel. I agree with Momento Mori that it reads pretty much exactly like City of Bones with different setting/character names, but I had fun reading it all the same. I really loved the Mortal Instruments series.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Unidentified and trying to identify what to read next. Oh no.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'Hex Hall' and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'll be interested to see how the sequel is.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I finally finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and it did not work for me at all.

Fortunately I've just started Before I Die by Jenny Downham, which is absolutely brilliant. A moving account of a teenage girl with terminal cancer who draws up a list of things she wants to do before she dies, this is a fabulously well written book with a great central voice and well observed characters. I can see both why it won and was nominated for a number of prestigious awards.

MM

Clockwork Angel has been so hyped up, hey? It's not really my scene. I made it through City of Bones and am happy to leave it at that :D

I just read "The Adoration of Jenna Fox". I have to say, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. .

I thought it was really well written too - It was weird though, when I read it I had bursts when I was really into it and then patches where I wasn't so enthusiastic.

Also, I loved the final chapter/s/epilogue. Done so well and just widen the whole scope of the novel.

I just finished 'Wings' by Aprilynne Pike.

*SPOILERS*

The begining was such a flatline, but it picked up. I think tho, what broke the suspension of disbelief for me was how she tells a boy she's only just met about the flower growing out of her back, even tho her background was homeschooling with next to no interaction with people her age or boys. For me, that was a big one, especially when she didn't tell her mom first, when the author set them up as being quite close. It pulled me out of the story.

Any thoughts on this one?

Heheheheh. I know what you mean. I think authors in the paranormal romance genre work things like that. I thought the book was kinda middle grade in a way. I cruised through a little bored. I think it'll make a good tween movie though.

Right now, I'm reading Take Me There by Carolee Dean. So far it's really good. Started off strong, and it's refreshing to read a male POV.

I have this sitting on my shelf :) But a pile of Aussie YA to get through first...

1. I just finished Girl Saves Boy by Steph Bowe and am not sure what to make of it? She's a 16year old Aussie author.

2. Also, Jarvis 24 (winner of CBCA) it was great - Aussie male POV was brilliant.

3. I read She's So Dead to Us by Kieren Scott (who is also Kate Brian). It's a guilty pleasure read that stared off cliche but the second half of the book was really strong and redeemed itself. She can write really well. It was addictive fluff :) If you love books like these you wont be disappointed. For me, it's nothing that will resonate but I did kinda enjoy the indulgence, haha.

4. Now onto Mistik Lake which looks really good - the first few chapters have some lovely rich prose.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
DrummerGirl - Was Girl Saves Boy a good read? I'm so mad that I have to wait til next year for it to come out in the US. I like Steph, though. I follow her on twitter and blogger. I was so excited when I discovered that she was my age and already a published author. It gives me hope, especially since there are so many amazing teen authors out there.

I love Aussie writers. Melina Marchetta, Lucy Christopher, and Markus Zusak are definitely three of my faves.

But you'll love Take Me There. Especially if you like male POVs. :)

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
DrummerGirl - Was Girl Saves Boy a good read? I'm so mad that I have to wait til next year for it to come out in the US. I like Steph, though. I follow her on twitter and blogger. I was so excited when I discovered that she was my age and already a published author. It gives me hope, especially since there are so many amazing teen authors out there.

I love Aussie writers. Melina Marchetta, Lucy Christopher, and Markus Zusak are definitely three of my faves.

But you'll love Take Me There. Especially if you like male POVs. :)

Oh - I liked Girl Saves Boy - but probably not as much as teens will enjoy it. Some bits I didnt completely follow what was happening. I cant really think of a book to even compare it too - in some ways it was like little vignettes and observations and scenes all weaved together. It's a dual POV - which I hadnt realised before picking it up.

It's a funny, quirky little book - I wrote a kinda review last night that I'll chuck up on my blog and goodreads (are you on goodreads?) after I have time to fully process it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.