Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pudding House Publications

Pudding House Publications

Has anyone worked with Pudding House? They have a call for some theme related manuscripts in this months issue of Poet's and Writer's, but there is some wording in their submission guidelines, that concerns me . . . We canít pay off the printing plant any other way. Iím done being humble about this. If I talk you into buying a few books, the potential pay-off for you is too great for me to be shy about it.

JAlpha

Money flows toward the writer. "We canít pay off the the printing plant"? why are they in publishing then? Stay away.

Thanks Zizpan,

I do know better, and this call for themed submissions was a listing in the classified section of Poets & Writer's. so I truly do have my own suspicions.

I'm such an optimist though, and wanted to this out there to AW members and see if perhaps someone did work with them, and had it turn out well.
    I'm not pressed for more submission credits, so until I hear something positive, I'm taking a pass on this one.

JAlpha

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Pudding House disappears

I had a ms accepted over a year ago by Pudding House publisher. I've not heard from them and all related web sites have been deleted.

Does anyone know what's going on with Pudding House? Are they out of business?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site was cached recently (March), but hadn't been updated since mid-'11.

I note that Pudding House Magazine (http://www.puddingmagazine.com/) split off in '10, about the time the last books were published (going by Amazon).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

pudding house publications

I'm surprised more folks aren't concerned. They(PH) accept lots of books and afterwards ask the author's to buy extra copies up front to help with the costs of publication. Not bad, I suppose, except they went out of business owing a lot of people money.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    It's not a matter of not being concerned: if they've gone out of business, and none of us have any experience of working with them, there's little that we can say, and little point in criticising how they did business.

If you signed a contract with them for your book, and they've now gone into administration, then the rights that you gave them for that book are part of their assets and you can't offer it elsewhere for publication or sale until those rights are reverted.

If they've simply disappeared and you signed up with them, then you still have to get those rights reverted before you can do anything with your book.

If they just made you an offer, which you haven't accepted, then you're in a better position.

While you work out where you are and what you have to do, write another book.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I've heard from one writer who says that they are not responding to attempts at communication. The writer hasn't gotten rights reversion, the books s/he ordered, or a refund.

- Victoria