Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: My Poet Laureate Project: Let's Go Bolster Literacy

Poet. Veteran. Comic Book Maker jst5150's Avatar

My Poet Laureate Project: Let's Go Bolster Literacy

Good morning,

What follows is the most important request or favor I will ask or have asked of any of you since I've been a member here or any time into the future.

As poet laureate, I wanted to take on one charitble, nonprofit effort that affected all 22,000 of us on the AW Forums. ALL of us. And because we all have some interest in reading and writing; and because we all have some interest in our educational future, I'm offering you a link.

This link can connect you with hundreds of people who need you to help them learn to read. Or, they may need help getting a GED. Or, they may need help with something that could -- could -- help them take the next step in something bigger than themselves.

So, right now, stop. Find your calendar. Find two consecutive hours this week and for the next, say, six weeks. One for travel. The other so you can volunteer to help someone become more literate. Then, go find a program that matches the two hours you can give. Don't make excuses. Don't find other things to do. Don't be taken by the quick asides or being lazy. This is important.

And I will hold you accountable. I'll know you're involved when you respond to this thread. You can even cut and paste the response: "I am now helping someone learn to read." And provide some details on when and where.

Unless you have a project you are involved in or find one (through one of the means below or otherwise), don't respond to this thread. I want your response to be a catalyst to others; I want your volunteerism to ignite the flame in others. So, unless and until you can commit to that effort, avoid the 'post reply' button.

That tells me you've clicked on one of the links below, found a program you can be a part of and will endeavour to invest at least one night per week growing someone's future.

If you're already doing something like this or something else that grows the minds of young people and adults who need our help, thank you. If not, think about doing something like this.

My goal is by the end of my tenure as AW poet laureate, at least 25 of you will be involved in a sustained effort to get this done. Just 25 by June 15 out of 22,000? This is too easy, right?

There is nothing more important to me than helping young people and adults grow their literacy and, in turn, expand their horizons. There are 22,000 of you who interested in growing your own horizons by being here; why not take someone along with you?

Here are the links, US, Canada, UK and India:
    Last edited by jst5150; 05-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    “You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.” -- Maxwell

I write and draw a printed space opera/scifi comic book, "Vorpal": http://headshrinkerspress.com/vorpal

Bump.
    “You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.” -- Maxwell

I write and draw a printed space opera/scifi comic book, "Vorpal": http://headshrinkerspress.com/vorpal

I'm in. I've emailed each of the 5 agencies listed in my area to find out which one will be able to work around my limited schedule. Once I get this going, I'm going to talk a few people at my office into doing it, too.

Jason, this is a great project. What a legacy as a Laureate!

~Sara

"There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees." ~ Hugo

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Saritams8 View Post
    I'm in. I've emailed each of the 5 agencies listed in my area to find out which one will be able to work around my limited schedule. Once I get this going, I'm going to talk a few people at my office into doing it, too.

Jason, this is a great project. What a legacy as a Laureate!
    Already waiting for his term to end? You're worse than Obama. Just kidding. Great legacy true, but great deed more. I don't think his Laureateship is relevant in this.

Folks, key here is participation. I've done nothing save make you aware of the opportunity. This isn't a sexy charitible cause and never has been.

I have 2. Who else is with us and can prove it?

I have contacted POLLARD MEMORIAL LIBRARY ADULT LITERACY PROGRAM
    requesting information for volunteering. As soon as I hear back, I will update you with proof.

Great suggestion, Jason.
    ----

http://emotionpoems.blogspot.com

_
    http://amusinglyrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

E.Jong Quote: Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads

Don't ask for an easier life: ask to be a stronger person.

That's 3. Just 22 more of you to go before Jun 15.

I will be hounding you about this. If you think we just want to make my minimum, you're loony.

To paraphrase our special forces warriors, you can run but you'll just end up doing it anyway.

Actual phrase: you can run but you'll just die tired.
    Last edited by jst5150; 05-07-2008 at 01:56 AM.

I ran this by my teen queen, she is going to check at her high school and see what she can do to help mentor/ tutor a struggling teen. I'll let you know how that progresses.
    ----

http://emotionpoems.blogspot.com

_
    http://amusinglyrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

E.Jong Quote: Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads

Don't ask for an easier life: ask to be a stronger person.

Kickin it old school, posers beware skelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    Nope. It's never been sexy to be literate... just necessary.
    Au contraire mon frier.

---Scott

This Prophet Speaks the Rhythm --- available online, free! Comments are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jst5150 View Post
    Who else is with us and can prove it?
    I got a hit! I'm going to set something up for this Thursday.

Hi Sara,
    I'm excited that you're interested in volunteering with our program!
    We have a need for ESL tutors, especially during the summer when we don't offer daytime classes. You may be paired with an individual student or assigned to tutor a small group. Students typically want to work on conversation, reading, listening, and pronunciation. Some of our students are also working on citizenship.

If you want to tutor an ESL student, let’s schedule a brief orientation at my office in the Fairmount Ave. School building. We can look over some teaching materials and answer any questions that you have about tutoring. We ask for a minimum commitment of two hours per week from our volunteers.
    Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Axxxx Lxxx
    AmeriCorp volunteer

~Sara

"There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees." ~ Hugo

Super Moderator SuperModerator Stew21's Avatar
    The company I work for has an alignment with the community committee. Just today they sent out their request for volunteers on one of their alignment projects. Mentoring 3rd and 4th graders on reading and writing. There are around 30 students in the program each school year. I'll be adding my name to the volunteer list.
    I thought the timing of your announcement and theirs was a sign from the universe, so had to do it. The coincidence was just too big to ignore.
    Sometimes I actually write stuff
    Like this...
    If a tree falls in Hesperides

I got 4 solids now. Who is No. 5?

Bump. I'm staring right at you. Lend a hand?

Bumping. Read my first post here. Any new takers?

A little less than a month to go. Please think about contributing somewhere and telling us about it here.

A renewed push as we push into June. Looking for you to sign you name onto here and pledge some time helping someone read. I'm looking for 25. I've got -- what -- seven? I'm going to become fairly annoying toward the end of this -- like a PBS pledge drive on steroids -- if you don't sign up now. So, you know -- chop the chop.