The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Brown Barn Books

Brown Barn Books

Has anyone here had any dealings with this publisher? They handle young adult and children's books and I was wondering if anyone has any info.

Thanks,

Torin
    I have a mind like a steel...thingmabob...you know...doohickey.

http://www.cebarrett.com for excerpts from "Angels Among Us" and more. What if you were a closet heterosexual? What would you do when you met the woman of your dreams?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mark's Avatar
    Torin,

I had a positive experience with Brown Barn Books. I sent her an e-query and she responded the same day asking for some samples. It wasn't quite what she was looking for, but she gave me some good feedback and the response time was within a few weeks.

I would go ahead and query them if you want. Also, you can see a list of their books on the website.
    Mark

Patiently waiting for an Eagles Championship, but I'll take one from the Flyers, Sixers, or Phillies in the meantime.

Pat Aust
    Re: Brown Barn Books: I emailed editor re: my Holocaust YA and she seemed interested. I sent 20 pages and synopsis as requested more than 3 mos. ago. Followed up with polite email/had she had a chance to read what I sent. I haven't heard anything, so hope she's just busy. I'd love to send her the rest of the book.

Anyone have more experience with BB Books?
    Thanks.
    Pat Aust

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.brownbarnbooks.com/About%...rn%20Books.htm

Seems to be a division of an educational materials company. POD, I'll bet, but their prices are relatively reasonable, and their covers far more attractive than most (IMHO). Depending on the terms of their contract, I'd file them under "tiny indie press good for YA books marketable directly to schools".
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Pat Aust

Brown Barn Books

Thanks, CAO. My fingers are still crossed as they've changed their level to YA-adult-level books, which is the level of my book exactly.
    Pat Aust

practical experience, FTW
    My book, The Secret Shelter, was on Brown Barn's debut list in September 2004. I've found them to be professional and extremely pleasant to deal with. At first, sales were a bit slow, but since they've taken Publisher's Group Canada as the Canadian distributor, sales have improved.

I recommend Brown Barn whole-heartedly. Wonderful to work with and willing to work with the writer. The books are of extremely high quality, being trade paperback as opposed to mass market. If they accept your work, do a happy little dance on the kitchen counter.

practical experience, FTW
    I just re-read the thread. With reference to CaoPaux' comment: They are not POD. The print run for Secret Shelter was 5,000. And although the parent company is educational slides (archeological), they do not sell merely to schools. As they have (to my knowledge) 3 distributors, you'll find Brown Barn's books in bookstores.

They may be small, they may be new, but they are reputable.

(And I'm praising them even though they passed on my latest two manuscripts.)

It's great to know they do short runs rather than POD. Thanks for chiming in, Sandi!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Pat Aust
    Thanks, Sandi!
    Nancy H. sure seemed professional and responded quickly to my e-query and another email. Cross your fingers for me.

Good luck with your sales!

Best,
    Pat Aust

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    Just a quick update on this publisher:

I subbed an e-query a few days ago and apperantly they can't accept it "until we have 27 hour days" because they're too full. Hopefully they'll be open again soon...

I submitted to them about a month ago, and they said that they weren't accepting submissions at this time. But they seem to be a very reputable publisher.

Apryl

Updating link to home page: http://www.brownbarnbooks.com/

However, I'm not finding anything published after '11.
    ICAO
    ---------

I can't even find any submission link or anything else about their preferences, other than they take YA, 10-years and up.

tri

They closed to submissions Jan '08, and dropped the sub info link entirely June '09.
    ICAO
    ---------

Thanks, Cao. I'm following all of your wonderful updates. You are a machine, as usual.

tri