• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sara Camilli Agency

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Tri

My book doesn't neatly fit into a genre but I would describe it as multi-cultural, urban fantasy... similar to Haruki Murakami, but set in Hong Kong. It brings in a fair bit of Chinese history/mythology but set in a modern urban setting.

kawyle

SF and picture books -- so far
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Stephen Camilli is indeed Sara's son. He has been with the agency for about 4 years, full-time for about 2 years. He seems to have an interested job history -- interpreting, some kind of engineering (if I remember right).... He handles initial contacts and some lower-level editing, among other things.

Stephen posted something on a LinkedIn group that led to my sending him two picture book MSS plus descriptions of some others, last fall. It took 6 months, but I heard back that they're interested in representing one of the ones I sent and want to see the others. We're in the Q&A stage now. I'm excited to hear good things about Sara!

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Has any one heard anything about this agency lately? I can't seem to find any recent information.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sara is my agent and she keeps a self-inflicted low profile. That's because the concentration of her work and communication is directed at her current clients. She doesn't have a wide or in-depth profile on the internet. She does rep several NYTs bestsellers and has sold scores of books to all the major publishers. I even forget my initial contact source for her, and at that time, I believe she wasn't taking on any more clients. I was a fluke that scurried in under the gate. I can only encourage you to try and contact her through any channels you have available.

tri

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Sara is my agent and she keeps a self-inflicted low profile. That's because the concentration of her work and communication is directed at her current clients. She doesn't have a wide or in-depth profile on the internet. She does rep several NYTs bestsellers and has sold scores of books to all the major publishers. I even forget my initial contact source for her, and at that time, I believe she wasn't taking on any more clients. I was a fluke that scurried in under the gate. I can only encourage you to try and contact her through any channels you have available.

tri

Thanks for the response Tri! I am familiar with many of the authors she has represented, some in the same genre as myself, so that's why she's top on my list. I actually wrote to the agency awhile back, sent a partial and then a requested full. That was about three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just wasn't sure how long the wait normally is and I know most say to nudge, but I'm actually pretty scared to do so! Lol!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Tri! I am familiar with many of the authors she has represented, some in the same genre as myself, so that's why she's top on my list. I actually wrote to the agency awhile back, sent a partial and then a requested full. That was about three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just wasn't sure how long the wait normally is and I know most say to nudge, but I'm actually pretty scared to do so! Lol!

I'd give it some time. For requested materials, I usually waited three months before nudging.

My stats, for what they're worth: I received a partial request about a week after querying, then a request for the full that same day. Offer of rep came just shy of three months later. So, I wouldn't worry about the radio silence. It just takes time.

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
I'd give it some time. For requested materials, I usually waited three months before nudging.

My stats, for what they're worth: I received a partial request about a week after querying, then a request for the full that same day. Offer of rep came just shy of three months later. So, I wouldn't worry about the radio silence. It just takes time.

Thanks! And congrats! :)

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! The wait is killing me! Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Qianarae

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query letter to Sara this past weekend and got a reply back a few hours later from Stephen, immediately requesting my full manuscript. I emailed it, but didn't even get an email back confirming that he received it. Does this sound normal to you all? Do I just have to wait til he's done reviewing it?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Sara is my agent and I can say that I don't normally get a confirmation back on anything sent. From my time with her, this has been normal. Stephen can be very quick with initial responses, and I'm reasonably confident that he received your full submission. If you are cautious type, you can probably email him directly and get a confirmation response--that's up to you.

Congrats on the full request, nevertheless. Hoping I'll welcome you into our fold.

tri

Qianarae

Registered
Reaction score
Sara is my agent and I can say that I don't normally get a confirmation back on anything sent. From my time with her, this has been normal. Stephen can be very quick with initial responses, and I'm reasonably confident that he received your full submission. If you are cautious type, you can probably email him directly and get a confirmation response--that's up to you.

Congrats on the full request, nevertheless. Hoping I'll welcome you into our fold.

tri
Thanks Tri. This makes me feel a lot better.

Qianarae

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Tri. I ended up emailing Stephen and cc'ed Sara in the email just asking if they could give me some sort of timeframe to hear back from them. I never heard anything back at all. This is some nerve wracking stuff! Do you think I'm pushing it??? The last thing I want to be is a pest!

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Sara or Stephen? The last time I heard from Stephen was when I submitted my full manuscript. Haven't heard back since.
I know from reading this thread they are busy and don't respond quickly, but the wait is driving me a bit insane. ;)
What's the average wait time once a full manuscript is submitted?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Has anyone heard from Sara or Stephen? The last time I heard from Stephen was when I submitted my full manuscript. Haven't heard back since.
I know from reading this thread they are busy and don't respond quickly, but the wait is driving me a bit insane. ;)
What's the average wait time once a full manuscript is submitted?

I've been in contact with Sara in the last couple weeks--hashing out a second sub program for one of my books. I deal with Sara, and not Stephen, so I don't know what his response time is like for a full. I've just heard from others that he does eventually respond and it's just one of those normal, frustrating agent wait things that's common. Don't let it get to you--you know, the ice age glacier thing and all that--the long slow melting wait.

tri

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in contact with Sara in the last couple weeks--hashing out a second sub program for one of my books. I deal with Sara, and not Stephen, so I don't know what his response time is like for a full. I've just heard from others that he does eventually respond and it's just one of those normal, frustrating agent wait things that's common. Don't let it get to you--you know, the ice age glacier thing and all that--the long slow melting wait.

tri

Thanks for the response Tri! :) I've never spoken to Sara, only Stephen, but initially it seemed he always responded very quickly. However once I sent my full, communication ceased. :cry:

I don't know what to think; does one hear back if an agency decides they don't like the full? :Shrug:

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...that's awhile. Have you tried Sara's email address? Explain to her about your full with Stephen. Put "Submission Status Inquiry" in the subject line. Try that and see what happens.

I think that's how I got in contact with Stephen? :Shrug:

I'm also a bit hesitant to be quite honest...I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes...I'm normally persistent, but at the same time I don't want to piss anyone off either. I guess it doesn't hurt to try!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I think that's how I got in contact with Stephen? :Shrug:

I'm also a bit hesitant to be quite honest...I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes...I'm normally persistent, but at the same time I don't want to piss anyone off either. I guess it doesn't hurt to try!

I don't think you'll mash any toes. Six months is quite wait. Now, I do know that Stephan has been out-of-state before, quite possibly out of the country, if my foggy memory serves me. Or a misplaced manuscript perhaps?

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you'll mash any toes. Six months is quite wait. Now, I do know that Stephan has been out-of-state before, quite possibly out of the country, if my foggy memory serves me. Or a misplaced manuscript perhaps?

Hmmmm...I guess it doesn't hurt to nudge a bit. Thanks so much for the encouragement; I'll let you know if I hear back! :Hug2: