• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sara Camilli Agency

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I just received a request for a manuscript from Sara Camilli. I can't find any information on her. At the same time, I think I will be offered a contract by Whiskey Creek and another agent, Kevan Lyon is reading a partial.
Sara said it would take 4-5 months to get back to me after receiving the ms. The question is, should I do it and wait. Is she a good agent worth waiting for?

I appreciate any help with this.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
The question is, should I do it and wait. Is she a good agent worth waiting for?

I appreciate any help with this.

Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to be a smartass by saying this--Why are you querying agents if you know nothing about them?

Also an agent isn't likely to want to represent you in a contract involving an e-publisher as there's no real money in it for them. Agents do look over e-contracts for existing clients and they also will take on a new client who comes with a publishing offer on the table.

However, if you plan to approach agents with an e-publishing offer you aren't likely to get the response you want from any of the reputable, (consistently selling to major pub houses) agents..

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an address for Camilli?
1762 Sand Beach Road Hummelstown, PA 17036. I find a couple sales to Kensington for her, but also one to Sterling & Ross....

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to be a smartass by saying this--Why are you querying agents if you know nothing about them?

Also an agent isn't likely to want to represent you in a contract involving an e-publisher as there's no real money in it for them. Agents do look over e-contracts for existing clients and they also will take on a new client who comes with a publishing offer on the table.

However, if you plan to approach agents with an e-publishing offer you aren't likely to get the response you want from any of the reputable, (consistently selling to major pub houses) agents..

I had a book published last year in e-format and the company was to go print but they closed so I thought before I get a small print publisher, I would take time to query agents. I checked out most agents I queried but this one, Sara Camilli had nothing on the internet. She said I'd need to wait 4-5 months for a reply. Whiskey Creek Press does both e format and print, but no, I do not need an agent for this company. I am aware of that. I also have Wild Rose Press who is to get back to me by June, that I do not need an agent for. Kevan Lyon is an agent with Sandra Dijkstra Literarty Agency, of Caifornia. I am waiting on her answer about my partial. Today I received a request from a partial from Maureen Walters from Curtis Brown Ltd, NY. She wants an exclusive for 4 weeks. I am trying to find the best possible placement for my series and time is running out. The small print/e-publishing companies are the "bird in a hand" and will probably require answers soon. See my point? A good agent or should I take a sure bet and get a small print publisher that sells on Amazon.com?

Thanks!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out most agents I queried but this one, Sara Camilli had nothing on the internet.

So why did you query her? Do you know someone else who is represented by her?

Today I received a request from a partial from Maureen Walters from Curtis Brown Ltd, NY. She wants an exclusive for 4 weeks.

Well, you can't give her an exclusive, because Kevan Lyon's already got the manuscript.

I'm not sure what the value-add of Sara Camilli would be for you, since she seems not to have any recorded sales to publishers that only accept agented submissions.

Also, why is "time running out"? Does your work tie into the anniversary of an historical event or something?

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I also have Wild Rose Press who is to get back to me by June,
Before you go any further with these guys, please read this thread. You can certainly do far better than this.

Kevan Lyon is an agent with Sandra Dijkstra Literarty Agency, of Caifornia. I am waiting on her answer about my partial.
Great agency; definitely worth waiting for.
A good agent or should I take a sure bet and get a small print publisher that sells on Amazon.com?
Go for the good agent. You have nothing to lose. Beware; a POD publisher won't be able to sell on Amazon.com unless they've made the printing switch.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I'm agreeing with priceless1. Go for the good agent. I'm also curious as IceCreamEmpress is about the "time is running out".

Publishing moves slowly and in the case of large publishers that's very slowly. Don't be in a rush to get a book out there.

I'm all for small/e-presses and love their flexibility in taking on the "niche" books of the type I've been doing lately, but by all means go for the known agent/big publisher when l possible.

Last edited:

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
BeachBabe,
Sarah Camilli is an awesome agent. I spoke with her before via phone for over an hour. She represents two mega bestsellers: Zane (erotica) and Eric Jerome Dickey. She also represents my friend, thriller writer, Brandon Massey. She's really good. :D

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Wild Rose Press (they print with Amazon.com) said they would have an answer for me by June 11. Whiskey Creek Press--- I wouldn't go for unless they print and have a good contract.

Yes, I know, I'm antsy. My publisher closed Feb.13/ my Valentine's present.

Kevan Lyon should be getting back to me in a few days (probably a rejection on the partial).
I could try Maureen Walters...she said 4 weeks for an answer on a partial. Then when I get her rejection, you think I should go for Sara Camilli and wait 4-5 months?

I guess good things come to those who wait but if all the agents reject me, I may be upseting Wild Rose if they want the series. I do need to get published...

I hate to sound negative but before the rights of this series returned to me (07) I had tried agents and done this dance before (06) Now I'm writing the third book and can hardly promote that without books 1 and 2.

Yes, I know, a good agent can be a godsend....Just going crazy. Thanks everyone!

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, another thing. Piers Anthony's site thought Wild Rose Press was doing well for a small print/e publisher. They do have books out on Amazon.com and that's convenient...not Chapter/Indigo, but still, easy to buy.

Whiskey Creek Press made #1 position on P&E.

As far as my history with my first book is concerned, it did receive good reviews from three romance sites. My publisher had just placed it on Fictionwise as a thriller before they closed. My second book was in edits for a March release. The publisher had signed a contract with Amazon.com, so you can imagine my disappointment with having a small publisher (but beggars can't be choosers). I'd hate to get into another situation like that, though.

Hope that clarifies my writing for you a little, group. You are great! Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
So why did you query her? Do you know someone else who is represented by her?
Sara Camilli had an interest in mystery-romance but I figured I could always reconsider if I found out something negative.

I'm not sure what the value-add of Sara Camilli would be for you, since she seems not to have any recorded sales to publishers that only accept agented submissions.

That's why I'm here....asking.

Also, why is "time running out"? Does your work tie into the anniversary of an historical event or something?
LOL...no, just tired of rejections and want my series published. People keep asking for my book and I feel like a loser

Last edited:

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Trying to get the best deal possible, which takes time, is no reason to feel like a loser.

If you secure an agent and they sell your work to a big NY house you're looking at a year at least to see the book out, maybe more, but it will be worth the wait to get it on many store shelves in many locations.

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Barbara. Patience isn't my strong suit, I guess. Hopefully, an agent will pick me up and help me fly. Every writer wants to be on the book stands. I feel like my star is rising....but oh so slowly.

I appreciate your thoughts.

BB

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
She looks like a successful agent. This is what I was able to find out ..

Contacts:
http://querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=890
http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com/agus6.html

Statistics of rejection rate:
http://www.litmatch.net/Literary-Agency-Info.asp?agcy_id=488

Sales:
http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=11272
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sara+camilli
Books from her authors priced from 6.99 to 24.90, average pricing about 10.80 USD.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
After several emails and a long phone discussion with Sara, it looks like I might be hooking up with her. She's willing to tackle my entire inventory of books, which suprized me. She's evaluated most of them, and she's excited about the prospects. I found her very adept and connected up with the mainline editors of the large houses. When she's in her groove, she said she sells three books a month, and most of them are fiction. For non-fiction she likes parenting, health, medicine, etc,. She has had some success with YA, and she's not afraid of paranormal or fantasy.

She does have a nice client list that involves best-sellers. She prefers to remain low-key so she can concentrate on her clients. Last time she was prominently displayed on the internet, she was inundated with queries, which threw her off her schedule. So, she keeps her visibility low by choice. She's out of PA.

Thought this might help shed shome light on her profile.

Tri

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, triceretops! Three's a charm sometimes. Here's to a quick sale--or, in your case, sales. *lifts glass of wine*

(Anyone else? I have a whole bottle here . . . : ) )

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks, honeysock. I was only agentless for 65 days, after having left my last one. It was the longest, most excruciating two months I've ever experienced. I actually thought it would never happen again, after pulling 140 straight rejections. But when I went back and examined all those responses, I found that they were mostly all queries cut off at the knees. When I did get a read, it always came with nice comments, referrals, and advice.

Tri

socact

Registered
Reaction score
congrats, Tri. I've been following your posts because I've been through the same whirlwind the last few weeks - I just signed with an agent on Monday.

I'm glad it worked out for you!