William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The presidential hopeful (Hillary Clinton) urged a group of her supporters in Louisville Thursday to put their money on the filly, Eight Belles.
The field of 20 horses was galloping out around the first turn at Churchill Downs when Eight Belles suddenly went down on both front legs and jockey Gabriel Saez slid off.

An equine ambulance reached her on the track and put Eight Belles down.
and the clincher:

Filly Eight Belles finished second behind favorite Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, then collapsed with two broken front ankles and was euthanized after crossing the wire.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how she knew they were gonna drug that horse up to run til it broke its own legs?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no one suspected the drugs on her tongue as she french-kissed the horse for the cameras.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I feel very sad about that poor horse, though. I said a little prayer for mercy ... mercy that she didn't suffer much (because animals hurt just like people hurt; it's not like Pain is some sort of higher intellect function that horses don't have) ... but mostly for mercy for us.

All those innocent creatures want is to run and be happy running around in fields ... and people make them endanger themselves for sport.

Sometimes the world sucks. Too often it is because of humanity's inhumanity. People should do something about that too, because a lot of the inhumanity is suffered by humans.

But it's just often more obvious when innocent creatures suffer.

RIP Eight Belles. To be born into a world of Man is not the best thing, even for Man.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
if you think for a moment that horses wouldn't force humans to race for their betting pleasure if they could, you're a crackpot.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I think the OP says all there is to say on the matter. I can't think of anything new to add, so consider this a supportive bump.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Ya best keep yo' ass in check (come on)
Little motherfuckers better show respect
And what's next
The big brown takin' ya down
How you feel when your sorry ass can't hang with the hill...

- Cypress Hill, "Funk Freakers"

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I used to work at a racetrack in Boise, Idaho, back in 1984. Seems like a horse was being put down (shot dead) almost every week.

It's a cruel "sport" in my opinion.

But hey, it entertains people, right?

Reaction score
weird.wild.stuff

This is the kind of thing that could completely reinvigorate the Obama campaign.

Guam.

And this.

Good day for Obama.
+
Bad day for Hillary.

=

Good day for me.

-Bad day for horse

= Still a decent day for me.

Gobama!

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Poor horse and poor Hillary. Second, huh? I didn't see it, thank God. I saw one horse shatter it's leg on the track, and that was quite enough for me. I agree with Plot Device. I think just once before the end of time, horses should make people race until they break their legs. As for Hillary coming in second, oh, I mean, Eight Belles coming in second, I can't imagine what the horse's owners must have felt like. If they cared for the horse, it must have been devastating. If they cared for the purse, at least, they got some of what they came for.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't find anything remotely funny, entertaining or interesting about a horse breaking her legs and being euthanized.

Nothing at all funny or worth discussing in connection to politics. It's disgraceful and awful and that's about it.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't find anything remotely funny, entertaining or interesting about a horse breaking her legs and being euthanized.

Nothing at all funny or worth discussing in connection to politics. It's disgraceful and awful and that's about it.

I agree, and that's why I hadn't posted anything in this thread.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
gallows humor, while not appreciated by everyone, is an accepted form of satire.

only i guess this would be glue factory humor.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is making too much funny about the horse.

But it is wacky stuff, that Hil's horse the philly came in second to "BIG BROWN," Obama's Harvard Frat Pledge Nickname, and was then sent to that big grazing pasture in the sky.

hih-450.jpg

Where there will be no more whips.

No more people on it's back.

And it will be able to run free and fast.

For an eternity.

Goodbye Eight Belles.
R.I.P.

:cry:

Last edited:

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
All those innocent creatures want is to run and be happy running around in fields ... and people make them endanger themselves for sport.

Watching that was devastating, but you know what?

First off, I have to say, those animals are bred to run, and they LOVE doing it. When they retire, they often take on bad habits like chewing on fences and pacing. And the main reason breakdowns like this happen is because breeders are breeding them too fast and strong for their bones and ligaments.

Second of all, horse racing is doing millions of "average" horses all around the world a BIG favor.

Advances in equine science are constantly making leaps and bounds nowadays, because of the millions of research dollars being poured in by the thoroughbred racing industry. It's rather remarkable, actually; I wouldn't be surprised if equine medicine is advancing faster than cat and dog medicine right now. At least it seems that way, reading my equine medicine newsletter I prescribe to.

My ol' fat mustang and her foal have amazing options available to them, thanks to thoroughbred racing. In fact, my foal was just saved, due in part to these advances.

And some broken legs can be fixed (the very notion used to be inconceivable). Just not for this poor baby.:e2bummed:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Watching that was devastating, but you know what?

First off, I have to say, those animals are bred to run, and they LOVE doing it. When they retire, they often take on bad habits like chewing on fences and pacing. And the main reason breakdowns like this happen is because breeders are breeding them too fast and strong for their bones and ligaments.

Second of all, horse racing is doing millions of "average" horses all around the world a BIG favor.

Advances in equine science are constantly making leaps and bounds nowadays, because of the millions of research dollars being poured in by the thoroughbred racing industry. It's rather remarkable, actually; I wouldn't be surprised if equine medicine is advancing faster than cat and dog medicine right now. At least it seems that way, reading my equine medicine newsletter I prescribe to.

Yeah. I'm sure Joseph Mengele's experimental data from Auschwitz contains some stuff useful for human medicine, too.

caw

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I think we can calmly discuss our differences of opinion about race horse breeding with out invoking Godwin, ok? That was unnecessary.

And while I can appreciate that some folk are sensitive to the "gallows" humor, I agree with Haskins. If you don't, you can politely point out why or skip this thread.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder how she knew they were gonna drug that horse up to run til it broke its own legs?
no one suspected the drugs on her tongue as she french-kissed the horse for the cameras
Trainer Larry Jones and owner Rick Porter decided to run Eight Belles against the boys in America's greatest race despite her never having done so before.
see now, you got it all wrong. hillary wouldn't sabotage her own horse. it was all the boy horses afraid of being shamefully beaten by a girl horse. they gave her the poisoned apple during the half-time show... all grinning with their enormous horse teeth behind her back. the bastards!!!

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I hope and pray the horse's suffering was minimal. It was a tragedy, and painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.