Teenage Poetry

blinkbelle

I am a teenager and I have been writing poetry for around 10 years, I have a varied style and can write to suit different age groups and genres of poetry but my main style is emotional teenage poetry. I feel there is a real market for this kind of poetry as there are many teen fiction novels, etc becoming successful so why should poetry not share this success?
Just wondering what everybody else's opinions on this idea are.
Thanks for your time,
Bryony
xxx

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
When I first started writing poetry I wrote totally emotional/personal poems. After about 5 years of writing and getting the "release" from it I've recently decided that something other than the personal aspect would (to me) see more marketable. Poetry is already a very, very hard sell. I think more people can relate to something that is deep yet not too highly personal. Just my little 'ol opinion though!

At the same time I find it nearly impossible to not write something personal - because most of the time that is where the inspiration comes from.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
teenage wasteland

my opinion only...

teenage poetry has some gravity on the internet, primarily at e-zines and forums frequented by... you guessed it: teenage poets.

teenagers devour young adult novels, etc, but they by and large have very little interest in poetry. when they do, they aspire to read beyond their age level and often are attracted to the same works that adults are.

i'm no expert on the poetry market, but for teenage angst/confessional stuff, i think the only real audience is other teens writing the same stuff.

i also think that you're going to stunt your growth as a poet by not having your work mature with your mind and body.

again, this is only my opinion. now go prove me wrong.

-william

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Byrony & all,

I think you're idea is terrific. Unfortunately, though, as I have been experiencing with trying to sell my poetry collection, folks read poetry, but they don't buy it. (At least that's what I've been told by editors.) Keep trying and never give up. If you perservere, you will be successful. That is what I do, and I'm hoping my words won't come back to haunt me.:)

Warm regards, Susie:)