Strategic Book Group / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / SBM

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
The Florida Attorney General has brought a civil suit against Robert Fletcher and his companies. So far there are no criminal charges.

(Though, in my opinion, there should be. Even a Massachusetts Superior Court Judge stated that what Fletcher is doing is "fraud.")

You might want to say to the author, after the signing, "You know, I googled your publisher and there was some negative stuff on the internet...some of it seemed pretty serious."

Then if the author says, "Oh, really, what is it?" You can give her the url for the Florida AG's complaint and the link to Writer Beware's "Alert" which will take her to a page that has the info about how to contact the investigator at the AG's Office.

If the author doesn't seem interested, or pooh poohs that there could be anything negative about Eloquent, then you can just drop it.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I think she should be told. She'll learn about it anyway. This way, she can join in on the suit and be in line for part of the judgment.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Whether or not you tell the author, you should definitely tell corporate. Include a copy of the lawsuit. And ask them what the foo they're thinking of doing ordering books that have zero discount?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
DreamWeaver:
When the author comes to the bookstore for her signing in two weeks, should I just keep my big mouth shut, or should I let her know that she could possibly get all her money back plus punitive damages if the criminal charges against her publisher are upheld?

If the author starts touting Strategic as a company to publish with to your customers, then that would probably be a good time to drop it into conversation. Otherwise, I'd recommend keeping quiet. It's the author's big day and provided she's just happily signing her books, enjoying the chance to be a real author for a couple of hours, I don't see the benefit of spoiling it all for her.

I'd definitely take it up with corporate though because that's some serious WTF-ery going on there.

MM

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I think Ann's suggestion is a good one. Still, writers often find info like this really, really unwelcome--especially if they've already encountered it and are heavily vested in denial--so be prepared for a "shoot the messenger" situation.

Corporate, and your manager, should definitely know.

In suits like this, even where the perpetrators are fined and restitution is ordered, authors typically get, at best, a fraction of their cost.

- Victoria

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I would get her email address and then email her with some links, just saying "I wonder if you knew about this stuff?" After the signing.

Edited to add: Wow, I was so beaten to the party! So, yeah, what the Justice League has already said. Read corporate the riot act by email, with attached documentation, and just offer the links to the scammed author after her big day.

WriterMomto3

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
There's also a good chance she already knows and Strategic/Fletcher have sent her the "well if you want to doubt us, that's your choice; we don't care" email. He pretty much seems to have an answer to everything. Tough spot to be in. Good luck in whatever you decide!

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Corporate may misunderstood. I think they figured that you knew the evils of Strategic and that you were asking permission to have this woman in your shop anyhow. They decided that the local good will was worth exactly twelve books, and ordered them for you.

Or maybe I'm just overestimating someone's intelligence.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I plan not to rain on this lady's parade, if at all possible. The email to corporate I have to leave up to the acting manager, as I'm not senior enough to have an email account. The first manager has left for greener pastures (unrelated to this event, but probably due to other corporate WTF moments--there've been some doozies).

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: The signing has been postponed to the 27th, because the author and her husband's flight home got cancelled. They were snowed in somewhere up north while on a trip to make a video promo for the book and do some book signings.

This never looked like it was going to end well, and it isn't getting better...

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
I have been with Writer's Literary Agency since 2006(it was The New York Literary agency then) and I was excited since they seemed so impressed with my work. Of course I worked a full time job with overtime and I'm the mother of 2 children so a small income from my hobby would be ideal. When I was informed by my agressive agent manager Beth Stormes about Strategic Publishing, I seized the opportunity to have my work published after three years of nothing but promises. This company has nickled and dimed me for the past three years (and three manuscripts) and now since I have published with Eloquent Books last year, I have received more and more emails demanding money for "marketing services", which I am not able to afford since we are scraping by on one income right now.

I reluctantly paid the joint-venture fee, but I have to admit, the cover I had requested is a beautiful work of art and I was pleased with it, although the 'editing' left a lot to be desired. I sold 17 copies the first day "Wolf's Blood" was released and I was estatic. But then after a few months the sales dwindled and I found myself constantly on the message boards in Amazon to drive the sales through self-promotion. I began to grow angry, since this was supposed to be the 'marketing team's' job, but I was the one driving whatever sales I could.(Its hard to market yourself when you're a full time mom and have 1 car).

I became suspicious of them a few weeks ago when I noticed my book sales through Amazon and the AEG Royalty page didn't quite match up. For example, during the months of November/December I hadn't sold any, but on Amazon, I had sold 3 copies, 1 in November and 2 in December. I have had a previous run-around and had to send a forceful email to claim the measly royalty payment owed to me. The company promises 50% royalties, but only if the customer buys directly from AEG's website. Books that were sold by Amazon or any other means were charged an additional $8.55 per book for 'printing fees' so AEG takes their 50%, plus another $8.55 for their printing fees. Its a far cry from 50% royalties like they promised. Plus, these printing fees were never mentioned in the contract.

I stumbled on the "Writer's Beware" blog on sfwa.org and my heart immediately plunged into my stomach when I read everything posted. I do have to say good work to Victoria and Ann for exposing this scumbag. I've pretty much kissed the money good-bye, but now I'm really upset since I am now back to sqare one, trying to find a reputable agent and publishing the rest of my work, not to mention the self doubt of my writing ability. I hope the state of Florida nails him and shuts him down, because others don't need to be drawn into his web of deceit, like I was by careful flattery and a positive reply.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi C.K. I'm sorry you got so caught up with them. Think of the positive; you can go into publishing a little more experienced now, and a little more careful. Take some time to do some careful research before diving back into the pool. If your stuff is good, it'll find a home :)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
At our bookstore, we are having a signing in two weeks by a local author. Her book was published by Eloquent Books. Since we are a small bookstore in a small market, the only signings we ever have are by local authors who are vanity, subsidy, or self-published.

The books arrived, and the cover is awesomely good. It's good enough that several customers, seeing the "Author Signing" display behind the counter, have asked to see the book. However, once they read the first page with its egregious editing errors and see the price ($22.95) vs the slimness of the volume, they give it right back to me. Whoever said the reading public could spot a vanity-published book within seconds was not mistaken.
Update: the author signing event for this book was last weekend. I was not on shift, but the booksellers who were reported the author was extremely personable and sold out the twelve copies we had. This is very good news, as with the zero percent discount it means we minimized our operating cost losses (there was never a chance of actually making a profit).

She was a bit upset to hear we could not reorder her book, but the acting manager explained the problem with the discount, and the author's husband is going back to Eloquent to see if he can negotiate at least a 30 percent discount. I'm not holding my breath.

To be blunt, this book was prominently displayed in the store for weeks before the signing, and was browsed by many customers. It didn't sell a single copy except with the author physically present. So we're not terribly enthusiastic about keeping copies in stock, even though she managed to handsell a dozen copies. None of the booksellers will handsell it, as it is painfully unedited and full of grammatical errors.

No word on if she knows about the Florida AG vs. her publisher. I don't think any of the other booksellers told her--no one wanted to ruin her day. But given the discount situation, I expect her husband at least will start finding out.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Dear C.K. Casner:

I hope you have used Writer Beware's "Alert" link on our first page to take you to the page where you can find out how to get in touch with the Florida AG's Office yourself. It's very easy. They have fax and email.

You really need to get in touch with them and make a formal complaint. You might then be in line for restitution of some of your costs.

Oh, and by the way...there probably is no Beth Storms. The vast majority of Robert Fletcher's "agents" are Robert himself.

You can write to me directly if you need more information. Glad Writer Beware was helpful to you.

-Ann C. Crispin
([email protected])
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all, especially you, Ann and Victoria. Victoria urged me to seek help from the attorney and I took her advice through Writer's Beware. I am really kicking myself for my naiveté, and I've learned a very hard, yet valuable lesson. I have finished my 4th manuscript and I'm taking my time in shopping around (I'm unhappily unemployed right now) and since I've joined these ranks, I have crossed several potential publishing prospects off my list, thanks to all of the authors here and Writer's Beware. I won't be making the same mistake twice.

Ann, Robert Fletcher wasn't only Beth Stormes the 'AA Manager', he also posed as Hil Mallory, my 'agent'. I was so angry when I read all of his aliases that I nearly toppled my PC. Imagine the nerve of that guy posing as a woman.

Last edited:

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
C.K., we're glad to help.

Just remember to recommend Writer Beware (note: it's singular...no "s" on "Writer") to your friends who write.

I'm glad you're working on improving your writing and your sense of how the business operates.

Good luck!

-Ann C. Crispin

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
I've received 4 emails in the last two days for "marketing strategies" for $430, $280, $179,the last one for local author promotion declares they want $189. There are times when I would LOVE to send back a nasty reply and let this Al, or whatever his real name is have it, and that I'm onto them. I am so sick of these emails whining for more money while they do nothing to promote my book. What can I do to completely break the ties with this company? Any suggestions are appreciated.

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
I will do that, thanks for the advice. I get that nasty bile taste in my mouth everytime I open one of these emails.

UPDATE: I just received an email from AEG today claiming I need to hire a 'Personal Assistant' for 10 hrs for 19 hours for a grand total of $190. Why would I want to hire one of Bouncin' Bobby's cronies?

Last edited:

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
OMGoodness! A year ago I filled out an e-mail query form....then I (of course) came here and read....well, now a year later, I have recieved another e-mail from Tania at Strategic Book Publishing saying they want to know how I am doing with getting my book published and if I would consider working with them at no cost to me.......delete-delete-delete.....if it wasn't for you guys, I'd be hip deep in debt......

I love you guys....

blinddoughboy

Registered
Reaction score
Tania? Bobby must have a new alias. Probably was going for that Patty Hearst ambiance, 'cept he spelled it wrong

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
LOL.....wow. At first I thought it was an e-mail from a friend of mine named Tania in Australia whom I call Tan. Was I surprised when I opened the e-mail.....lol