• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

You can now read The Street-Smart Writer, FREE!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
My publisher has released the e-book version of The Street-Smart Writer: Self-Defense Against Sharks and Scams in the Writing World for free-- no strings attached-- through Wowio.com. (Edit: As Dama just informed me, this is only for U.S. residents and military serving abroad at this time.)

Here's the link: http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=2646

You have to sign up for Wowio, but I did that a few weeks ago to make sure they wouldn't spam or do any funny business... they didn't.

They insert a sponsor's ad on the first and last page, but aside from that, it's exactly the same as the print book. You can also personalize it and send it to a friend.

So NO EXCUSES! ;) It's free, and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your computer. Please, read this book, send the link on to all the new and new-ish writers you know, and let's help save people from becoming easy prey for scammers and schemers.

Thanks!

Here's the book's description and some comments about it...

Veteran writer Jenna Glatzer teams up with publishing attorney Daniel Steven to expose the scams and unsavory deals writers are likely to encounter along their path to publishing success. The Street-Smart Writer is an essential reference for all writers to getting published without getting swindled.

This book will help writers spot an honest agent or manager, determine the value of vanity publishing, and avoid getting conned out of hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars when signing a contract. Sections on writing contests teach writers how to determine which contests are useless; other sections offer tips on avoiding costly conferences and shady seminars. A special focus on copyright ensures that writers protect their work from schemers who want to use creativity without paying for it. Appendices include sample publishing, agent, and manager contracts.

What Are People Saying About It?

"This is a great book for writers looking for no-nonsense, easy-to-understand information about how to discern legitimate opportunities and services from those looking to take advantage of inexperienced writers.

"Jenna Glatzer obviously loves writing—and writers—and offers terrific advice for staying one step ahead of the scammers."
--Kristin D. Godsey, Editor, Writer’s Digest magazine

"While the pen is mightier than the sword, many writers lack a shield. The Street-Smart Writer is that shield."
--Dave Kuzminski, Editor, Preditors & Editors™

"Never get swindled again! The unscrupulous prey on the dreams of writers, but with this book as your guide, scammers will have to look for a new target. You'll learn to tell the legit from the fishy when it comes to contracts, vanity presses, agents, writing contests, and more."
--Linda Formichelli, co-author of The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success

"Street-Smart is a very smart book indeed, full of the sort of wisdom that too-often costs young writers time, money, and manuscripts. Jenna Glatzer acts as a lifeguard, pointing out the riptides, undertows, and sharks that can turn a day at the beach into more adventure than you'd care to have. Better than learning by experience is learning by others' experience."
--James D. Macdonald, Author of The Apocalypse Door, Sysop of SFF.net

"Ms Glatzer's information on publishing and bookselling, particularly paying to be published, is very accurate and describes all the issues related to getting published vs. paying to publish, cagey language on marketing and distribution used by companies to snare unsuspecting writers. She also describes how the legitimate process works with industry standards, marketing and distribution. She dispels the mystery of the basic economics of bookselling and the process bookstores follow to stock their shelves."
--Anita Zager, Northern Lights Books & Gifts, Duluth MN

"I never thought I'd find a book on avoiding scams and developing street smarts to be heart-warming, thought-provoking and beautifully written. But this one is. It's also informative, thorough, eye-opening and entertaining. I'm giving a copy to every one of my clients."
--Jennifer Lawler, writing coach and author of Dojo Wisdom for Writers

"These authors get an A+ in the educational value they offer their readers. Not only do they go to great depths to educate you, they provide the tools you need in order to continue working smart. It is obvious that Glatzer and Steven are watching out for your future... If you have ever questioned a contract, felt uneasy about the rules of a contest, distrusted an agent or wondered about the credibility of a publishing house, you must buy this book."
--Patricia Fry, President, SPAWN (Small Publishers, Artists and Writers Network)

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, no! I just sat here scratching my head about why that would be, then realized it's probably because the publishers they're dealing with typically have only US rights, not foreign rights, so I suppose publishers with other territorial rights could complain if a free e-book version is "out there." But that doesn't apply in this case. I'll write and ask if this can be changed anytime soon.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone read Jenna's book! It was one of the most helpful books-about-writing I've ever read.

And thanks for doing the free thing and all, Jenna. You rock.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have a copy of it and re-read it alot. Is very good and full of information.
(A must read)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's a wonderful book which every writer should read. It is SO useful!

I'm off to lunch with a friend today, who has just got her first novel accepted for publication. I'm going to lend her my copy to help her through her contract. But I will make sure she gives it back, as I couldn't do without it.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
You bet I'll pass this along. I just finished rereading this book, as a matter of fact. I almost never reread non-fiction cover-to-cover unless I find it incredibly useful.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A further note about Wowio.

If you're a new registrant (like me), Wowio will ask for authentication. You can do 3 different ways. I chose the email option. Be warned those who primarily use Yahoo or Hotmail - you can't use them. You have to use either a different, paid-for email addy or use a different authentication method.

Not a big deal or anything - just an FYI. :)

~Nancy

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Not only is it USA only, they don't accept any of my main email accounts (GMAIL, HOTMAIL) and apparently are picky about who they allow to register even when you use your own domain:

"Thank You!
Your domain requires review. If accepted, you will receive a confirmation email with a link that will enable you to complete the account setup process."

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This is seriously an important book for any writer to read, and have on their shelf (or hard drive.) I've sent maybe 25 or 30 copies of it to people -- and now I can email a link!

Thanks, Jenna. :) And I put a note with the link in this week's AW Newsletter, as well.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
That is awesome! I just checked this out from the library the other day and was loathe to return it, it's an excellent resource. :)

Thanks Jenna!

David I

Registered
Reaction score
No, no, no. It's a lovely gesture and all, but...

BUY the book. It's a nice book. It looks handsome on your shelf. You can loan it to people. It supports a cool small press. It also gives Jenna a buck or two which she can waste on wild living.

If you don't buy books from your peers, no one will buy yours. The Lords of Karma are watching!