The fine art of 'showing'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
The "movie" exercise I suggested is just that - an exercise. It's something to do when you feel your work has drifted to far toward "tell."

It's not meant as a panacea or a rigid stylistic choice, and it can certainly include the other three senses.

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say "thank you" to all who answered this.

This one thread taught me a lot about something that I didn't know. In fact, I didn't know that I didn't know it.

I opened my WIP and see several blaring spots where I can go make my story better using what I learned here.

THANKS!!!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
If we are talking about writing for children it's important to remember that they don't want to be told a story--they want to experience it. Showing brings readers into the story while telling drives them out.

In all cases we have to alternate showing and telling. Showing increases interest and tension. Generally speaking, telling eases tension. The best we can do is alternate so as not to make our work boring.

Primarily, showing involves our saying what characters say, do, and think. The best way to learn this is to read stories to see how great writers do this effectively.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really loving this site! There are a lot of really good writers on this site, so I'll use that to my advantage-- Please tell me, fine writers, how do I really captivate readers by 'showing' (not 'telling'). I've been trying hard to master this art but all my work in SYW keeps getting the same critique: that I 'tell' too much instead of showing. Please give me your own personal tips on how you make sure you are showing not telling when you write, because sometimes I just don't get it! Thank you.
:Shrug:

I've been captiving them by telling them that I'm showing them things.

Status
Not open for further replies.