• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Bell Bridge Books / BelleBooks, Inc.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yeah, I see that they mention the "suspense" word, but their suspense titles seem to reflect cops and killers rather than military espionage like I have. I think that's what tanked me.

Tri

I mean--if I remember correctly (it's been a while :) )--that they are looking for women's fiction, cozy mysteries, historicals, young adult (dark and light)--which is the reason I was looking at them, urban fantasy, fantasy, and horror.

Tri-I don't remember hearing anything about thrillers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was still no. :(

DebraDixon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Debra Dixon here, publisher- Bell Bridge Books which is the multi-genre imprint of BelleBooks. Most of the books we're publishing these days are through the BBB imprint.

www.BellBridgeBooks.com

We do welcome romance in our women's fiction list these days. Yes, that is a change during the last year. And I dare say you'll see the occasional romantic suspense but we are not a "romance publisher."

Romance is a well-served market. We have limited slots available, and if we're going to field romance titles, we have to be very selective to compete with the major publishers. Or those titles have to be a fit for something else we do. DEBORAH GRACE STALEY has a gentle, small town series, that has done quite well for us and has been picked up in large print in both the US and the UK.

We're doing the ebook launch of NYT's besteller Jill Barnett. She had a number of never-in-ebook titles.

We'll be doing a Christmas Regency anthology in 2011. (Why? I love the Regency and it's my pet project for 2011. However, that's invitation only.)

In the SF/fantasy/horror list, we are not looking for romantic fantasy or paranormal romance. If they have a romance that's perfectly fine, but romance should not be the main focus of the novel. And the writing has to be fabulous. We've been open for SF/F/H for three years. We've bought only a handful of books. Again, we have to be selective.

As for print distribution, we have a warehouse and all books receive anything from a micro run to a standard small press run. We always have books in stock. Our titles are returnable, with standard discounts offered to the wholesalers and booksellers. We present all our titles to the major buyers. Most are picked up for some sort of buy from Barnes & Noble. Obviously the books are always available from us, the online bookstores like Amazon & BN & Borders.

Ingram and B&T have been our major wholesalers through the years, but as the industry changes, with even a major publisher (Dorchester) announcing they would move to the print -on- demand model, all publishers are reevaluating how they print. We've used a mix of short run and traditional run for the last three years.

Booksellers don't really care how you print the book. They care more about whether the book is returnable to the wholesaler.

As for ebooks, our books are in all the major platforms: Kindle, Apple, BN, Sony, Kobo, etc.

We do have foreign agents and present our titles to foreign publishers. Two of our young adult authors just had their series picked up in France by separate publishers. Anthony Francis, one of our urban fantasy authors just sold in Germany, etc. No publisher can guarantee large print, mass market, foreign or audio subrights sales. But subrights sales are a part of our process. We try for everything we can.

We pay an advance, and we increase advances for future books depending on sales.

Hope that answers some questions! (I didn't download the spell check tool. So grade on the curve if I've made any errors. This is a tiny window!)

Last edited:

DebraDixon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the gracious welcome. I was a little uncertain if the post was appropriate but wasn't quite sure how to get the information to the forum other than posting.

This forum was picked up on one of our Google searches and my assistant passed the link to me because she saw you had some questions and confusion about who we are and what we do.

If someone has a question in the future, we'd be happy to provide a response which could be posted here, just send an email to BelleBooks at BelleBooks dot com. We don't actually have time to monitor forums, so give a nudge.

And please continue to speak freely. Your opinions are your own and you're allowed to have them. If there is an issue of fact I can address, I certainly will, but do not stifle your discussions or feel you have to pull punches. Although, one hopes that our reputation, list performance, and book quality will be the best protection against punches. It's our job to be sure that our publishing company is one of the first stops in an author's submission cycle.

Speaking of submissions... We have been hideously slow. In particular me. But we've put on some more staff and hopefully we'll be moving more quickly through the "slush pile."

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
And please continue to speak freely. Your opinions are your own and you're allowed to have them. If there is an issue of fact I can address, I certainly will, but do not stifle your discussions or feel you have to pull punches.

Heh. Look around here a bit. Stifling discussion and pulling punches we do not.

Although, one hopes that our reputation, list performance, and book quality will be the best protection against punches.

It will be. As will continuing to respond here as professionally as you already have. Welcome.

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Nice news...they are reading my novel.

Last edited:

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Daddyo. Wishing you BIG success with the novel!

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Susan!

And Debra, thank you for visiting these forums. Nice to see that you and your staff are out and about, as it were. I may be submitting a manuscript to you in a few weeks.

wassermj

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything lately from Belle Books as far as responses to submissions?

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Thanks Tri! I guess I'm a little worried that I submitted under their old guidelines (first 3 chapters) when the new one is send complete manuscript (which I have). You know how some agents/editors reject immediately if you don't follow the guidelines... I guess I could resubmit, but I had already contacted them back in August to tell them I sold to Desert Breeze Publishing and got a response stating they would get to my submission as soon as they could. Don't want to be a pest. :) The waiting game continues...

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
Not commenting on quality/author treatment: I want to point out that Bell Bridge Books started out by launching a pen name of one of the partners, Leigh Bridger aka Deborah Smith.They aren't hiding that fact Or that Belle Books publishes her romances under the name Deborah Smith. But I know that's an issue with some people so I wanted to point it out.

faithful1

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted manuscript in February and received an email in June from Debra Dixon letting me know that my submission has been passed to the second stage of the review process. She cautioned that this could be a long wait and to notify her if I receive an offer during the wait.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - good luck, Faithful!

I was just about to post a question about their response times...

Last edited: