AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Bell Bridge Books / BelleBooks, Inc.

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar

[Publisher] Bell Bridge Books / BelleBooks, Inc.

Do any of you know much about Belle Books, the small press run by Debra Dixon? They've been in business for over 9 years and have published only southern fiction throughout that time, but they're starting a science fiction/fantasy/urban fantasy imprint and have an open call for submissions. I know they pay advances and royalties, but that's all I know. Anyone here have more info?
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Around
    Karen, I'm going to punt this one up to Bewares and Background Checks.
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Adding link: http://www.bellebooks.com/

I'm not saying anything against this publisher, which looks to be a successful small press--but SF/fantasy is a pretty specialized market, and Belle's focus till now has been very much elsewhere. Unless they've hired staff with sf/fantasy editing and publishing experience, you might want to wait a bit to see whether they're able to successfully produce and promote this new line.

BTW, their submission guidelines say "No romance, science fiction, fantasy, or mystery."

- Victoria

Looks like Print on demand technology (digital). Whether they adhere to the most common POD business models, is up in question. There's really not a lot about them. Don't know if they have any distribution, even minimal, or trade reviews, book store placement, etc, you know, the usual things. Their parent house looks pretty good and have been around for some years. The fantasy imprint is new, and at least they are only accepting in that particular genre, so there's some specialization going on there. Small advances are always welcomed.

I dunno. Kind of a hold off and see type operation, IMO. We'll also have to wait until their website is completely up and running. I couldn't link to anything yet, other than the short mission statement.

Tri

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    They say their printer is Lightning Source/Ingrams.

Okay, I've been exchanging some emails back and forth with Deb. She's sweet, honest and upfront about what they're doing. After eight years of publishing southern fiction, they wanted to try the fantasy genre--just fantasy, nothing else. I get the impression from her that they were offset with the parent company, but this seperate imprint is a POD venture. They pay small advances and have a competent edting team--quite a few, actually.

I explained to them that my current publisher went belly up and orphaned my book She agreed to take a look at it, since it was still a baby and technically not a reprint. She was receptive to that instead of saying "Gak! Damaged goods--don't want to see it."

I'll let you know how things go.

Tri

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Thanks, Tri. Sounds good!

fwiw, I queried Bell Bridge last week for my "urban fantasy" (quoted because as some of you know I've been shopping this project as a paranormal romance. But maybe it's a UF undercover. Who the heck knows !). Got a request for a full in two days. It takes them 6-8 weeks to respond and it's only been one week so we'll see how it goes. Or not.

cheers!

Banned
    FWIW, they don't appear to have a distributor, and this will make it nearly impossible for books to get any face time anywhere. I checked iPage, and they don't have any stock on hand. This suggests that there is zero demand for their books.

They seem as nice is the day is long, but authors should be looking for more than that when looking for a home for their hard-written work. Shelf space and distribution should be at the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    FWIW, they don't appear to have a distributor, and this will make it nearly impossible for books to get any face time anywhere. I checked iPage, and they don't have any stock on hand. This suggests that there is zero demand for their books.

They seem as nice is the day is long, but authors should be looking for more than that when looking for a home for their hard-written work. Shelf space and distribution should be at the forefront.
    Here be the truth. And that's bottom line for this outfit.

Tri

Quote Originally Posted by clara bow View Post
    Got a request for a full in two days. It takes them 6-8 weeks to respond and it's only been one week so we'll see how it goes. Or not.
    Got the rejection today after about two weeks. Ms. Smith said the story was "lots of fun" but too romance-oriented for their imprint. Oh well. Onward and upward.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin rperkins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    Here be the truth. And that's bottom line for this outfit.

Tri
    It's been over a year since this verdict was delivered. Any news? Have Bell Bridge solved their distributor deficiencies?

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Best way to find out would be to ask them.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Anybody have any word about this publisher? A few of us have been on submission with them going on six-seven months now. Two of us have fulls there. Are they still alive and kicking? I've always like their staff.

Tri

Yes they are! They were just at the RWA Nationals in Orlando and I attended their spotlight. Talked a little about marketing and a slew of other things. Overall, I was pretty impressed with them.
    ~AP

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream-Edgar Allen Poe

RENEGADE ~ November 13, 2012 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Revelations ~ November 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

That's a relief. They've always been top-notch with me, and for a small press, I've watched them grow and make the right steps repeatedly. Their inroads into niche Southern fiction have been outstanding and they've been doing it for a long time. I really want this fantasy imprint to take off for them. They're a tight group of wonderful, experience gals who know their literature backward and forward.

tri

Banned
    I still don't see where they have any distribution, nor do I see how they market and promote their books. They are probably lovely folks, but unless they have solid distribution and are getting their books on the store shelves, well...nice is as nice does.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I just signed a contract with BelleBooks for my debut novel, EYEWALL. BelleBooks publishes simultaneously in trade paperback and ebook formats, but is focused on e-formats. Okay by me. My royalty is much bigger for ebooks. The company uses a POD approach for its trade paperbacks with Lightning Source, Inc. (LSI) as its supplier. LSI is a sister company of Ingram. The feedback I've gotten from fellow authors who have dealt with BelleBooks has been unanimously positive.

Banned
    Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I live there!
    A highly selective publisher, with a great reputation. Congratulations!

practical experience, FTW V-Man's Avatar
    Adding my .02 here. Ultimately it was a rejection for my upper MG project, but I found the editors to be very responsive, polite, and professional.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentpaper View Post
    Yes they are! They were just at the RWA Nationals in Orlando and I attended their spotlight. Talked a little about marketing and a slew of other things. Overall, I was pretty impressed with them.
    They previously focussed on southern fiction, wanted to branch into fantasy, and rejected Clara's UF for being too "romance-oriented".... what were they doing at the Romance Writer's of America conference?

Not a smart thing to do if you don't want to publish romance. I'd wager they were inundated with romance-oriented submissions in the months following RWA. Their response time is probably a lot longer now.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    They previously focussed on southern fiction, wanted to branch into fantasy, and rejected Clara's UF for being too "romance-oriented".... what were they doing at the Romance Writer's of America conference?

Not a smart thing to do if you don't want to publish romance. I'd wager they were inundated with romance-oriented submissions in the months following RWA. Their response time is probably a lot longer now.

They said they were taking straight contemporary romance and all other genres, BUT they wanted just straight UF without the romance because they had enough of that already. They'll probably start taking it again eventually, but I don't speak for them. Just figured I should answer, since I was the one who originally put up the information that they were at RWA.
    ~AP

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Thanks, Paper.

By "all other genres" do you mean, all other sub-genres of romance, in addition to contemporary? or do you mean all other genres, like mystery, horror and sci-fi?
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Hmm...that's very strange. They rejected my thriller based solely on its genre, saying they didn't publish those types. Unless something has changed in the last eight months. I'll have to go and see their latest submission updates.

tri

Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    Thanks, Paper.

By "all other genres" do you mean, all other sub-genres of romance, in addition to contemporary? or do you mean all other genres, like mystery, horror and sci-fi?
    I mean--if I remember correctly (it's been a while )--that they are looking for women's fiction, cozy mysteries, historicals, young adult (dark and light)--which is the reason I was looking at them, urban fantasy, fantasy, and horror.

Tri-I don't remember hearing anything about thrillers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was still no.
    ~AP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast