Responses to "A Message From Dawno"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. That one must be me. As I'm the only poster I'm aware of who freely drops the term "scandalized." :D

It's good to know, as I honestly didn't realize that I was the one stirring the fire--I guess ignorance can no longer be bliss for me. I'll be more careful in the future. And for the record, I very much enjoyed and appreciated the thoughtful responses and information shared in the old polygamy thread.
Oh dear. I really wasn't referring to anyone in particular and hadn't ever noticed you using the word. It's a fine, upstanding word, BTW.;) As long as you include an explanation of why you're scandalized, I'm sure it's fine.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Well, damn it, Devil, so now you're offending me because I use the word 'upstanding', too.

Oh, and I use 'word'. I also use 'it's' and 'long' and 'you'.

Oh, never mind.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"It's...long...you...upstanding..."

What exactly have you been typing ;)

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Freudian slip, maybe :)

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
If you cited people did you refrain from wholesale copying and use snips and links instead?

re comment Dawno #7 ...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99907

Sometimes too folks just put a link there, or don't describe what the point of the link is ... or don't even bother to quote enough of a snip to let us know what we're choosing to go to, or why it's germane to the thread.

Most often it's nicer to at least know what the link is ABOUT ... so giving some sort of indication of the link's content is often helpful to the reader.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Back to the thread for a moment (then add a proposal for Dawno, but it's going to have to be a big house cause my wife and dog are coming, hey that place in Texas might be available) Anyway.... The P&CE threads are my favorite because I truly love politics and the inner workings of all the people who are involved in commanding this nations highest office. However, what I do find frustrating is the inability of so many posters to have a discussion "ON TOPIC" that dosen't digress into "Yo momma wears dirty underwear" because of a stated opinion.
I would hope that the powers at BE (Mac) wouldn't be forced to shut down the topic, or for wonderful, (did I say beautiful) moderators like Dawno to censor every word written, but I do think it may come to something like that, if we as a community don't enter the discussion as a panel of independant speakers instead of a bunch of cry babies who want everyone to see things our way....

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Sometimes too folks just put a link there, or don't describe what the point of the link is ... or don't even bother to quote enough of a snip to let us know what we're choosing to go to, or why it's germane to the thread.

Most often it's nicer to at least know what the link is ABOUT ... so giving some sort of indication of the link's content is often helpful to the reader.

Couldn't agree more.

Back to the thread for a moment (then add a proposal for Dawno, but it's going to have to be a big house cause my wife and dog are coming, hey that place in Texas might be available) Anyway.... The P&CE threads are my favorite because I truly love politics and the inner workings of all the people who are involved in commanding this nations highest office. However, what I do find frustrating is the inability of so many posters to have a discussion "ON TOPIC" that dosen't digress into "Yo momma wears dirty underwear" because of a stated opinion.
I would hope that the powers at BE (Mac) wouldn't be forced to shut down the topic, or for wonderful, (did I say beautiful) moderators like Dawno to sensor every word written, but I do think it may come to something like that, if we as a community don't enter the discussion as a panel of independant speakers instead of a bunch of cry babies who want everyone to see things our way....

A little bit of patience with each other and a lot of deliberation before posting will go a long way. I hope everyone will keep in mind that Mac and I believe in and support this forum and the people who post in it, when they see us taking steps they might not agree with.

Neither of us claims to have the answers to optimum moderation, but we do the best job we can do. Thanks for your support.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

A little bit of patience with each other and a lot of deliberation before posting will go a long way. I hope everyone will keep in mind that Mac and I believe in and support this forum and the people who post in it, when they see us taking steps they might not agree with.

Neither of us claims to have the answers to optimum moderation, but we do the best job we can do. Thanks for your support.

No complaints here. Moderating a forum like this is never easy.. But trust me, the problems this forum has are universal to politics forums. Every one I've seen has the same issues. You'll have a few "keyboard commandos" who feel that every post is some sort of fight. And you'll always have a few annoying trolls whose sole reason for being there is to stir the pot and garner attention.

Trust me, the moderation you guys are doing here is VERY good compared to some places I've seen. Many forums like this they either censor EVERYTHING or they let everything slide. We've got a nice middle ground here. I've yet to see a post (including my own) that was deleted that didn't deserve to be deleted.

And we've got a (mostly) civil crowd here.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Did I miss something?

Yes.

Yesterday was a particularly nasty day in P&CE. Some two and three-way arguments were started as well as some vile nasty epithets hurled at one another. It was not a pretty sight.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.