• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elder & Leemaur Publishers

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these guys are legit? I couldn't find much about them. I've been published in one of their books, but I don't want to put the credit on my query if they're not legit because I'd feel like an ass.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is THIS who you mean?

Was this in one of their "Authors of Tomorrow" or "Voices of the Future" anthologies?

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm published in their "Authors of Tomorrow" anthology.

I originally wrote the essay for a scholarship but I didn't get the scholarship, and instead I was offered a publication. The only thing that was fishy about it was that I wasn't offered a contributer's copy, but I didn't have to pay them to get published, either. So that led me to believe it wasn't a vanity press.

But again, this is the only thing I have published so I have no experience in these sorts of matters.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My stepmother is a well-published university professor, and I asked her to check out the publisher's website, since one of its stated focuses is academic books. She'd never heard of it, and thought it looked a bit like an author mill. Just based on the website, I tend to agree.

- Victoria

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
My stepmother is a well-published university professor, and I asked her to check out the publisher's website, since one of its stated focuses is academic books. She'd never heard of it, and thought it looked a bit like an author mill. Just based on the website, I tend to agree.

- Victoria

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I didn't have to pay them to get published though, which is why I was curious. Don't they usually ask you to pay them all kind of fees for printing and such?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I didn't have to pay them to get published though, which is why I was curious. Don't they usually ask you to pay them all kind of fees for printing and such?

Not always. Publish America is proud of the fact that they don't charge their authors anything to bring their books to fruition.

Of course, they spend 99% of their time trying to "sell" the books to the authors and 1% pretending to sell to the rest of the world.

That sounds suspiciously what you got there. They wait for authors to want copies of the book that their short story appeared in and then print up as many as you order. The question is, where else can this book be found?

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Not always. Publish America is proud of the fact that they don't charge their authors anything to bring their books to fruition.

Of course, they spend 99% of their time trying to "sell" the books to the authors and 1% pretending to sell to the rest of the world.

That sounds suspiciously what you got there. They wait for authors to want copies of the book that their short story appeared in and then print up as many as you order. The question is, where else can this book be found?

Thanks for clarifying. So it would be better to leave them off my query?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Personally, I would.

It's not likely to count as much of a credit if at all. I know most legitimate agents don't count being published by places like Publish America as an actual credit.

Sometimes a blank slate is better than a slightly scuffed one. *grin*

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No books published since '06, and I'm not finding the magazines. Their scholarship page now directs to a find-a-scholarship site.