The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Elder & Leemaur Publishers

Elder & Leemaur Publishers

Does anyone know if these guys are legit? I couldn't find much about them. I've been published in one of their books, but I don't want to put the credit on my query if they're not legit because I'd feel like an ass.
    Submissions: 17
    Rejections: 16

---
    "Writers take a tour in other people's lives." - Harlan Ellison

Is THIS who you mean?

Was this in one of their "Authors of Tomorrow" or "Voices of the Future" anthologies?
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Yes, I'm published in their "Authors of Tomorrow" anthology.

I originally wrote the essay for a scholarship but I didn't get the scholarship, and instead I was offered a publication. The only thing that was fishy about it was that I wasn't offered a contributer's copy, but I didn't have to pay them to get published, either. So that led me to believe it wasn't a vanity press.

But again, this is the only thing I have published so I have no experience in these sorts of matters.
    Last edited by Mr Sci Fi; 04-21-2008 at 08:55 PM.

---

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    My stepmother is a well-published university professor, and I asked her to check out the publisher's website, since one of its stated focuses is academic books. She'd never heard of it, and thought it looked a bit like an author mill. Just based on the website, I tend to agree.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    My stepmother is a well-published university professor, and I asked her to check out the publisher's website, since one of its stated focuses is academic books. She'd never heard of it, and thought it looked a bit like an author mill. Just based on the website, I tend to agree.

- Victoria
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I didn't have to pay them to get published though, which is why I was curious. Don't they usually ask you to pay them all kind of fees for printing and such?

---

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sci Fi View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I didn't have to pay them to get published though, which is why I was curious. Don't they usually ask you to pay them all kind of fees for printing and such?
    Not always. Publish America is proud of the fact that they don't charge their authors anything to bring their books to fruition.

Of course, they spend 99% of their time trying to "sell" the books to the authors and 1% pretending to sell to the rest of the world.

That sounds suspiciously what you got there. They wait for authors to want copies of the book that their short story appeared in and then print up as many as you order. The question is, where else can this book be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    Not always. Publish America is proud of the fact that they don't charge their authors anything to bring their books to fruition.

Of course, they spend 99% of their time trying to "sell" the books to the authors and 1% pretending to sell to the rest of the world.

That sounds suspiciously what you got there. They wait for authors to want copies of the book that their short story appeared in and then print up as many as you order. The question is, where else can this book be found?
    Thanks for clarifying. So it would be better to leave them off my query?

---

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Personally, I would.

It's not likely to count as much of a credit if at all. I know most legitimate agents don't count being published by places like Publish America as an actual credit.

Sometimes a blank slate is better than a slightly scuffed one. *grin*

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No books published since '06, and I'm not finding the magazines. Their scholarship page now directs to a find-a-scholarship site.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: