Why Can't Men Handle being Sick?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
A GI Bug has made the rounds in our house- both my kids got it and passed it on to me last week- fever, chills, body aches and pains, cramping, things spewing out of places they shouldn't..

Anyway- I still had to go on with my life, The horses still needed fed and watered as did the dogs and the kids, I mean I felt like crap, had a fever of 101 and all I wanted to do was sleep, but I'm a mom so that didn't happen.

Well the same bug finally hit my husband this weekend- I work every weekend- so he takes care of critters and kids- But where is he THIS weekend- upstairs - in bed for the last twenty-four hours! I kid you not- He hired a babysitter to stay with the kids and feed animals!

This is the same man who has a fit if I 'waste' gas making two trips to the grocery store in one week, spending money on a babysitter because he doesn't feel good!

WHY? All you men out there- please try to explain this to me- consider it research- I need to know, why I had to go about my life feeling like crap and he gets to sleep??? I just don't get it-

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Because, if we push through the illness and keep working - you gals would expect it all of the time.

JJ

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
My father did this while I was growing up. Whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch, all the time when my mother got sick. But when he got sick, he expected to hear no complaints when he did nothing. I don't understand.

As for myself, now being a man, I can only say that I don't get sick. Ever. Last sickness I had was pneumonia, ten years ago. Not kidding. No colds, no flu, no allergies, no headaches, no nausea, nothing.

Well, except for the times I drink too much... then I get headaches and nausea, but that's another issue entirely.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
When the ex and I were first married, I was sick with strep throat. Fever of 102, vomiting (not recommend with strep throat), chills, body aches...the whole thing. I was down for the count. The kitchen sink backs up. So idiot goes to the hardware store and comes back with a pipe snake...who knows how to use it? Me. Who ends up snaking the kitchen sink? Me.

A few days later, he gets strep. No vomiting (I vomit any time I get a fever), low grade fever (99), no body aches, no chills. Who lays on the couch, unmoving, for 4 freakin' days? Him.

Just one more reason he's an ex. :D

KrishnaJewel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allbollywood.com
I fully understand...when I was having my kids, I use to get so sick that they would put me on meds, and a few times bedrest. With the last one I was so sick I couldnt even keep water down, I ended up spending three months in hospital on IVs. The now ex arsehl says to me, if it was for the doctors, I would say you are faking it.

I could have slapped him! If I had had the strength to even raise a hand, that is.

But of course if he got a cold, he was down for the count!

While My Darling doesnt usually become an invalid...he is still basically a little boy when it comes to being ill. I have to tell to him to lay down, take it easy, take a pain killer, go to the doc/dentist, after having gone to the doc/dentist I have to say take your Rx med, etc.

I am often amazed a single man living on his own ever survives :p

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
according to someone I know, men just like being tended to by their wives or GF's when they're sick. If they play it off really well they can sometimes even get a back massage out of it.

KrishnaJewel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allbollywood.com
according to someone I know, men just like being tended to by their wives or GF's when they're sick. If they play it off really well they can sometimes even get a back massage out of it.

lol hmm...perhaps so...I know for a fact My Darling hasnt been babied, pampered, tended to...and frankly, loved before. And I also know that a lot of times he doesnt do things cos he knows I will step in and do it, so again I am taking care of him...lol.

So perhaps you are right :)

Frankly I dont mind since he doesnt act like a cold will kill him (i.e. EX) and I have a very strong care taker streak (as do most Cancers :D )

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It's the same with us. My husband is basically a hypochondriac, and he tends to be sicker when I am nearby to look after him. He can't even remember to take his meds on time. I am never ill; I just can't afford to be.
My husband was and still is babied by his own mother. She will iron his underwear and flips out if a vest of his. is slightly blue because I washed it with colourds. He was so mollycoddled he can't make it alone.
So, ladies, watch out how you raise your sons. Don't let them be babies!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
WHY? All you men out there- please try to explain this to me- consider it research- I need to know, why I had to go about my life feeling like crap and he gets to sleep??? I just don't get it-

I'm exactly the same! I never feel crap, I sleep it off. Really does depend on the person.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have a very strong care taker streak (as do most Cancers :D )

I wish I had a practical inclining astrological sign. I'm an Aquarius and tend to walk about dreaming most of the time.

My current dream is for everybody here to have a great Sunday,
and I believe this one will come true :)

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Choppersdad is a rock when it comes to illness, injury, anything like that. He'll work through anything and never complain. If he asks for an Aleve, I know he's really sick. Plus, he waits on me hand and foot when I'm unwell. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Choppersdad is a rock when it comes to illness, injury, anything like that. He'll work through anything and never complain. If he asks for an Aleve, I know he's really sick. Plus, he waits on me hand and foot when I'm unwell. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

You - and my wife.

JJ

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Cue "Why Can't Woman Handle...?" counterstrike thread.

I'm x10 manlier than any man quoted or posting in this thread, except maybe Choppersdad.

-Derek

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm off to bed. Felling a bit ill. May even take the day off and have a sleep in.

JJ

ETA. X10 manlier hey, Derek. We may need a beer drinking or belching contest to sort that one out.

Last edited:

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya. In February we all got the flu-it started with hubby. He was in bed for 72hrs straight. I had to sleep in the living room with our 2mo baby. Well then the rest of us got it (this includes a 12yo, 10yo, 7yo, 4yo, 2mo old baby and myself) So here I am with a 102 fever, sick as a dog and having to care for 5 other sick people-he'd come home from work and take a nap! Because he was still "run down".

Any other dh's suffer from this phenomenon?-Where if directions are to take 2 pills they take 4 because they're "sicker" than most people? Or in more pain than most people? Oh and every pain is organ-related. Nope it's not a pulled muscle-it's a damaged kidney or a punctured lung.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Cue "Why Can't Woman Handle...?" counterstrike thread.

I'm x10 manlier than any man quoted or posting in this thread, except maybe Choppersdad.

-Derek

Hear Hear!! :)

Okay, I'm off to bed. Felling a bit ill. May even take the day off and have a sleep in.

JJ

ETA. X10 manlier hey, Derek. We may need a beer drinking or belching contest to sort that one out.

I'm down with that!! X20 beating all the manlier and womanly stereotypes. I love beer and belching by the way. :)

Honey, there ain't no counterstrike thread on this one.

Men are babies when it comes to being sick :e2tongue:

"I'm gonna die," if you get a sniffle. Give me a break!

You must have had your fair share of attracting baby men then!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Cranky is weird when it comes to illness. If he's a little sick...it's the end of the world! But, if he's really, really sick...silly man tries to push through it. He works too hard, and won't take a break or cut himself some slack.

Frankly, I don't get it. I think it's a denial thing. And if he's just a little ill, he enjoys the pampering, lol. Being really sick worries him, I think. He's the breadwinner in our family (I'm a SAHM). I think that's the reason for it, but it's not like he's gonna own up to it.

So, I just get a little pushy when I know he's really sick. Make him rest, take medicine, nag him to see the doctor, etc. :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's just pay back time. Men don't get a lot of chance to ask for pampering, unlike women. We don't take hour-long bubble baths. We don't have spas. We don't get diamonds and flowers. We don't get taken out on a date. Nobody buys us presents. We have to tiptoe around women every month during that special time. So give us a freaking break if we want our own share of pampering when we get sick, which isn't frequent enough.

You don't want to see a thread about how women want to be pampered all the time, do you?

p.s. not all men are like that, either. The generalization here is just awful.

I think I'm going to be sick now.

Last edited: