Agent names

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
If an agent asks for a full and wants to know if any other agents are currently reading the manuscript, should I tell them the name of the agent and the agency? Or just say, yep, it's with another agent, but not say the name? I figured saying an actual name would be tacky, but wanted to make sure.

Can you tell I'm freaking out a little?

Thanks in advance!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
First up: congratulations! It's sounding really good. :)

I consider naming the agents and agencies to be a little bit tacky as well, so I just said "Two other agents currently have the full manuscript."

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
Don't worry about names or agencies. Just say others are looking at the manuscript. They're probably only asking so they can prioritise what order to read submissions in.

And congrats on the requests!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You can either just say "yes," or tell them "X-number of agents are currently reading it." They're not asking to know their competition; they just want to know if they need to read faster.

Now, if you get an offer of representation and inform those reading, it's not uncommon for an agent to ask who the offering agent is. One, they want to know if you're getting scammed. If they know the name of the agency to be one that's less than stellar, they can warn you off. Two, you'd be surprised how many people will try and move their books up in queue by lying about having a quick offer of representation.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Now, if you get an offer of representation and inform those reading, it's not uncommon for an agent to ask who the offering agent is. One, they want to know if you're getting scammed. If they know the name of the agency to be one that's less than stellar, they can warn you off. Two, you'd be surprised how many people will try and move their books up in queue by lying about having a quick offer of representation.

Seconding this as well. I informed any agents I had queries or partials out with when I accepted my offer, and while most of them just sent a Congrats one or two did ask which agent and agency I'd signed with.

I suspect it was a) to make sure I wasn't getting scammed and possibly b) to see which other agents are busy building their lists. I can also hope for c) to keep track of my manuscript and buy it when it comes out, but that's just wishful thinking. ;)

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Just wanted to thank each of you again for the advice, some of which will hopefully come in handy later on!

Can I just say how cool it is to have this problem?:tongue I am loving it. Of course, I know nothing may come of the request. Been there. But, yeah, it's nice to have this moment. Thank you again.

ElJeffe

Registered
Reaction score
Along similar lines, can I ask what's expected if an agent asks for an exclusive when making a partial or full request? I understand why they'd ask for that, and on the one hand I have no problem granting them an exclusive look if it shows I'm serious and eager to meet them halfway, but on the other hand I don't want the book tied up with a single agent for six months who may turn it down anyway.

Last time it happened, I sent him the pages and told him I would happily offer him a 1-month exclusive from the day he received the manuscript. (Discounting any other queries already sent to other agents, which may have included sample pages, of course.) He ended up declining representation in the end, and I assume it was probably not because my offer of one month was insultingly short, but is there sort of a standard period I should offer if this happens again?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what others have said. Giving an actual name, aside from being tacky, could actually work against you. Publishing is a close knit industry, and a lot of agents know each other. An agent might not want to compete with a close friend for a client, for example. I imagine this is why a lot of agents who work at the same agency ask that you only submit to one of them at a time.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck folkchick. Let us know what happens.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Along similar lines, can I ask what's expected if an agent asks for an exclusive when making a partial or full request? [snipped] is there sort of a standard period I should offer if this happens again?

A month is pretty standard. It's important to not to allow open-ended exclusives, for the reasons you explain.

Ditto what others have said. Giving an actual name, aside from being tacky, could actually work against you. Publishing is a close knit industry, and a lot of agents know each other. An agent might not want to compete with a close friend for a client, for example. I imagine this is why a lot of agents who work at the same agency ask that you only submit to one of them at a time.

Most agencies ask that you only submit to one agent at a time because they use interns or assistants to filter out the best submissions, and if people were sending the same manuscript to all five, ten or twenty agents at the agency it would increase the size of the slush pile, and the amount of time it took to work through it, by an unacceptable degree.

The thing about not wanting to compete with friends is sometimes an issue, but this request is made mostly to try to control the size of the slush pile.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
A month is pretty standard. It's important to not to allow open-ended exclusives, for the reasons you explain.

Most agencies ask that you only submit to one agent at a time because they use interns or assistants to filter out the best submissions, and if people were sending the same manuscript to all five, ten or twenty agents at the agency it would increase the size of the slush pile, and the amount of time it took to work through it, by an unacceptable degree.

The thing about not wanting to compete with friends is sometimes an issue, but this request is made mostly to try to control the size of the slush pile.

Ah, that makes sense.