Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Ink. Here's some pragmatic advice. Whatever structure you choose, when you sell this book, your editor may well have you rewrite it to fit another order. So keep the outlines and choose the structure that will get your agent to put it on sub for you. You can't sell it until you sub it.

The hypocrisy! The irony! I came into work today (at a business school) and I was given a t-shirt that I must wear to a team meeting. So my body is now emblazoned with an infographic boasting about all our C-level alumni in various industries, and by far the largest sector is finance.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, ha! I loathe work-related/company stuff like that.

Thanks for the hugs and advice. Steve, the body count is going up but that's because I'm adding a couple scenes that the agent suggested. The rest is just about where to put the flashbacks/secondary timeline, which unfortunately, means anything "brief" just ain't gonna cut it. I'm gonna let it stew over the weekend and work on something else. Then if I don't have an epiphany, I might email agent lady with some questions.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Good to know, DVI. Worst case, you just have to ask.

Excellent points, Kell on DOJ-B6. B6 acted illegally to shore up their profits, not for some high-minded notion to protect anyone but themselves. The problem is that the B6 haven't figured out a way to streamline the process and make physical book-making cheaper

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Go for outlining all three and see which feels right. But, also best to step away from it for a day or two.

(((Soul))) Okay, I laughed. I admit it. Sorry for the bird poop.

Red, why the heck not? I say, do it.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Good plan Ink

Ugh ((Kellion)) I loathe all that rah rah yay company stuff

Hehe Red, yes my car def won the bird shat prize yesterday! :e2woo:

Snapps don't feel bad! I laughed my a$$ off yesterday when I saw it. Was hard to get the stuff off too, those birds meant business!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Also, saw my sub list from agent today. And...
run-around-smiley.gif

Can't decide if it looks good or terribly frightening.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I walked out this am to find a dead bird in my driveway, so what does that mean? I don't even get shat on anymore, I get blood, gore and death.

Ok, so I admit I'm cranky today. I started reading a well-known romance author who has been on the best-seller list with a gazillion books, and the entire thing so far is one big info dump. She's telling about this and that for paragraphs on end, and I'm like, Why even f-ing bother to show anything. Why don't I just write my books like a documentary and then I too, can pump them out three a year.

Obviously, if she's a best-selling author for years and years it must be what readers want, right?

/rant

{{Hugs}} to everyone who needs them, even tho I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy right now.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Ink}}} I really like Red's idea. Also, some distance might be beneficial and provide you with some clarity.

Ugh, Kellion. I hate that kind of crap.

Soul, :ROFL:

Red, do it! Why not? Nothing to lose.

Muted yays for Snappy.

I've got nothin' here. *slurps coffee*

ETA: {{{Cat}}} Gross. I found a dead bird on our driveway a while back. Not fun. Btw, what's up with your front yard? Didn't a couple of cats drop dead as well??

I think we all know by now that we constantly hear "you can't do this" and "you can't do that" and then you read too many books that defy that advice. You can't win, so don't bother.

A+B does NOT=C in publishing.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I think we all know by now that we constantly hear "you can't do this" and "you can't do that" and then you read too many books that defy that advice. You can't win, so don't bother.

A+B does NOT=C in publishing.

And we're are literally told, "Just keep doing the expected," even though obviously the big books are the ones that do the unexpected.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank all. It's actually my updated sub list. Been on sub since October. Hence, why it looks both elating and terrifying. LOL.The Rs do not help, but still in decent shape. Ahhh the gutterfly strikes!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I admit I'm cranky today. I started reading a well-known romance author who has been on the best-seller list with a gazillion books, and the entire thing so far is one big info dump. She's telling about this and that for paragraphs on end, and I'm like, Why even f-ing bother to show anything. Why don't I just write my books like a documentary and then I too, can pump them out three a year.

Obviously, if she's a best-selling author for years and years it must be what readers want, right?

/rant

Is it one of her newer books? My guess is that if the answer is yes, it's because she's "allowed" to get away with it. Or maybe, I'm just cynical.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I have a dead bird on my driveway too! It looks pretty bad. We didn't have time to bury it so the girls covered it with dandelions. Very Hunger Gamesesque.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
DUDE! What's with all the dead birds in the pitizen's lawns? You all are hard core ;)

"Obviously, if she's a best-selling author for years and years it must be what readers want, right?" LOL CAT!!!!!!! :ROFL:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
This is a big time of year for dead birds, I think. We had one die on us the same time last year. Unfortunately, that one spent a day or two hopping around being sick and pathetic before expiring. This one had the decency to show up dead -- er, you know what I mean.

We'll put it in the bird cemetary this weekend, I guess.

Really, can the week be over now? If I got some good news, it would redeem it, but more bad news? Might as well get it over with. I just heard Bruce Springsteen's new song Wrecking Ball and thought, why not? Bring on your wrecking ball. I'm already on the floor.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
You want some of my news, Kellion? Just got another pass. From an editor who had it my MS for almost a year now. Agent's nudging last week definitely shook out some news (of the pittish sort) this week.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I had a dead squirrel in front of my house on Monday right where the cars could squish it, and my cat caught a bird on Tuesday. I made her drop it and it seemed alive and has now vanished. But with Pit luck, it probably hopped away to die a slow excruciating death, all the while hoping it might finally hear something about that submission it sent out a while back.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) That stinks, sorry. A year for an agented sub? What's up with these people? I didn't realize your agent had nudged. I fear nudges. :(

Lkp, I am laughing and crying for your poor little bird, who at least will be rejected no more.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
lkp, I don't know whether to laugh or weep at that.

Kellion, yeah, she nudged last week while home sick with the chicken pox. (Also fairly pittish.) Explains why two passes shook loose this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.