A Life of Crime and Chocolate

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The champagne is just a gigglidisiac. The bubbles to the nose will make you giggle. Champagne on its own is not actually worth drinking anyway. ;)

After two months of talk, I finally uploaded my book to Smashwords last night.

Before I even picked up the free ebook ISBN, someone downloaded the free sample. An hour later they bought it. :D

I guess I am officially on the hook for the sequel now.

The fact that I sold a copy without even attempting any marketing is pretty cool, but I am sure each copy hereafter will cost me my pound of flesh.

Hopefully, by the end of the day, I'll have it posted in the Kindle store.

That definitely deserves a glass of champers (or two):hooray:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
WHERE? HOW? NOW?!!! MUST HAVE!!!!

The link in the word "Smashwords" above will take you there. ;)

:gaah THAT LONG?!!!

Well :Lecture:, I got up early to walk a friends dog :snoopy:, then I cleaned my kitchen:e2bike2: & had breakfast :Cake:, showered :e2shower:, then my lack of sleep :e2yawn: caught up with me, so I took a two hour nap :censored.

Now, I have to change the front matter slightly :e2BIC:, read to see what it is I have to do :rulez, then upload it :e2drown:, make sure their are no problems with their version :deadhorse...

I'm going, I'm going,... :whip:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I want it on my Kindle app.

And I want it NOW!

But it looks like you're just sitting around doing nothing...

::runs::

ETA: Did you really have cake for breakfast?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Doc! Another vote for Kindle here.

I did my Charles Bridge test today and am going to be starting the tour next month (as in day after tomorrow) I think, and going up to full time as well. But I'm kind of also looking at maybe going abroad again to study and had a really nice phonecall today from one of the schools in Canada I was looking at, think I sounded quite good, sort of informal interview kind of thing. Getting a call back next week to talk more. Haven't told my family as it's none of their business but my cat is quite excited about possibly moving there, I think.

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
First: No cake for breakfast. Cake was the only food smilie available. For the record, I had an encased meat product.

Second: I think I did everything right in terms of uploading to Amazon. I didn't download a test copy when I had the chance and now I'm not sure where to go in their system to do it. :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll figure out how to do it at some point. (After dinner and laundry.)

Third: The book is listed as "In Review". Which I guess takes 12-48 hours depending on which country's Amazon store you're purchasing from.

Fourth: Can't you kindle peeps buy on SmashWords and email it to your kindle or something? Or was I mislead about this long ago when I read something about it and didn't pay attention?

Fifth: Thanks everyone for their support. Not just today, but for the past few years. AW has always been a joy to come visit and that's because of all of you. :Hug2:

Sixth: That said, I know I hang out in the wrong forum. This is MTS, and my book is Fantasy. Don't feel any pressure to buy unless a fantasy parody sounds interesting to you.

Again, thanks everyone. :Hail:

ETA: A second person bought the novel off Smashwords. I assume it likely that it was someone from here. If so, thank you whomever you are. In fact, this is what I said to the first mystery buyer on my blog today:

Thank you mystery person! Every time you buy a book, you become a patron of the arts. You’re allowing someone to go one step closer to being able to work full time on their passions. You’re the best!

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
First: No cake for breakfast. Cake was the only food smilie available. For the record, I had an encased meat product.

Ew.

(After dinner and laundry.)

:gaah

Third: The book is listed as "In Review". Which I guess takes 12-48 hours depending on which country's Amazon store you're purchasing from.

:gaah

Fourth: Can't you kindle peeps buy on SmashWords and email it to your kindle or something? Or was I mislead about this long ago when I read something about it and didn't pay attention?

We is lazy. Amazon=one click. Smashwords=create account, dig up credit card, etc. But if I must I must. :)

Fifth: Thanks everyone for their support. Not just today, but for the past few years. AW has always been a joy to come visit and that's because of all of you. :Hug2:

:Hug2:

Sixth: That said, I know I hang out in the wrong forum.

Bah.

This is MTS, and my book is Fantasy. Don't feel any pressure to buy unless a fantasy parody sounds interesting to you.

Or if you want to read a wonderful writer. :)

My MC, Harry Lowell, just found out some important info regarding his murdered mob pal Frankie. Bad language. Beware!

This is a great line!

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Or if you want to read a wonderful writer. :)

I'm sure you're right, the writer is wonderful. ;)

As for the writing,... Well, I'll have to get some reviews in before that can be determined.

I took the advice of "write what you know and love", and I like my stories a little off center.

I really am curious as to how people will take it.

Anyway, it seems to have gone through whatever process it needed because it is available on Amazon already.

That was fast! I guess there's a reason they're the best. :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Doc, I haven't written a legit suspense novel in two years. ;) We're an accepting bunch around here. And congrats on the book coming out and I wish you tons of luck with it. :)

*Runs of lest she be sucked into this thread and lose all the time she's gained for today*

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Also there is a puppy sleeping on my lap. This makes me very happy. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Doc, I'm loving the book! Toted it everywhere with me today.

Unfortunately, I should get plenty of time to read tomorrow. The girl is sick yet again. :e2bummed:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Awesome doc! And hey, other than my one mystery (so far) my other one is a YA adventure, and most of my writing isn't even fiction, and I hang here. :D Just try getting rid of me now.

Zelenka, good luck with the school in Canada!

And you still have a little bit more than a couple hours, more than enough time to vote in the AW poetry contest ( til 11:59 pm eastern time) if you haven't already. :) Link is in my siggy.

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
Phew I finally got to finish reading a thread (well, the last couple pages) AND type in a reply. Lately every time I get on here I get about halfway through a thread, and then my daughter is sick of entertaining herself and wants me to pick her up so we can dance together. She is such a funny combo of clingy and independent!

Congrats to Doc on the book, Zelenka on the school in Canada, and to MTS-ers for being awesome. I tried giving up sugar, but this time I didn't even make it through the first day. I try do quit my chocolate addiction like every other week, but I really need to quit quitting. Luckily my mom mailed Girl Scout cookies. Samoa, anyone?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry it's been so terribly long since I dropped in to say Hi.

How is everyone doing?

My little boy (who has the brain tumor) went in for scans on tuesday - on the way home after the scans we got called back in - He has relapsed. The tumor has grown in his spine.

He is having his 5th birthday next Tuesday and the following monday going in for surgery to try and remove it. He will then have radiation, but at this point in time we dont know how much.

It's been kind of full on the past couple of days, We had a really lovely family reunion yesterday with all of my dad's side of the family. My little boy got a big ol' chocolate cake brought out for his birthday. It had chocolate covered strawberries on top nad chocolate cream layered between the cake - was soo good :).

I'm still doing my writing course and just finished the second assignment - I'm still in the process of editing it, but will hopefully get that sent off later today.

I got a credit on my last assignment which i was so extatic about - didnt think I'd get barely a pass lol.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, French. :( I am so terribly sorry. Does this mean more chemo for your little trooper?

Congrats on the writing assignment!

Think good thoughts for me, all. Today is the brunch I worked my tushie off for!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck for today HJ x

No more chemo.
We have appointments with his oncologist and radiographer on Wednesday. THen thursday is an appointment with the neurologist to test the strength and reaction time of every single nerve in his entire body.

Next monday he goes in for surgery to try to remove the tumor, they are going to do a biopsy on it aswell just to make sure 100% it's the same kind of cancer as he had previously.

Then we will do more radiation, havnt got times or dates as to how much he will have yet tho.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm praying for him, French. I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you. :( How's the little one taking it all? And how close are you to bringing Charm home?

My brunch went well, woohoo! I even got a huge bouquet of flowers from my pastor. :eek: