CONGRATULATIONS ZIPCODE CONTEST WINNERS!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, okay.....you've forced me from hiding my shame....I wrote the dud:

that place

:gone:

You mean "this place"?

Kid, the point is there were no duds in this contest. All the poems are excellent. I hope you are joking.

In case you are not--keep your head up, lady. You didn't write a dud.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Asking someone to keep their word is hardly "kvetching."

People only asked for the vote breakdown because you PROMISED to provide it.

“I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winner.”

I agree with you. I didn't even participate in this contest, but I still believe in people sticking to their promises.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Easy, folks.

This is the same bloke who volunteered to run the contest *and* donate his prizes. A little perspective is in order; by all means, have the discussion, but please keep it civil. Is this issue really worth the rancor? Especially for those who show up in Poetry only for the contests, it's a bit rich to complain too heavily. The contest was, after all, free to enter, and it did involve generous prizes.

I'm a little dismayed at the way some posts have gone here. At the same time, I'm very heartened by, and grateful for, those who have made the effort to celebrate.

Last edited:

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say the prompt was harder than hell, mind. That made it all the more difficult to choose/vote because I think everyone did something unique with it. I do think that knowing the results per poem would be a service to those who entered, just as critiques are, because we can see what works in general terms. Knowing if your piece was well received or not let's you know if it's worth posting it for critique for further, more precise feedback, should the poet feel the need.

Just my 2 pennies worth, for what they're worth in today's economy.

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say the prompt was harder than hell, mind. That made it all the more difficult to choose/vote because I think everyone did something unique with it. I do think that knowing the results per poem would be a service to those who entered, just as critiques are, because we can see what works in general terms. Knowing if your piece was well received or not let's you know if it's worth posting it for critique for further, more precise feedback, should the poet feel the need.

Just my 2 pennies worth, for what they're worth in today's economy.
Why don't you post it in the critique section and hear what people think? Maybe people will also let you know if they voted for it or not. Because there are only 3 picks per person, you can't actually learn that much from finding out the number of votes because maybe you were their fourth etc. I promise to tell you what I liked and didn't like.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Easy, folks.

This is the same bloke who volunteered to run the contest *and* donate his prizes. A little perspective is in order; by all means, have the discussion, but please keep it civil. Is this issue really worth the rancor? Especially for those who show up in Poetry only for the contests, it's a bit rich to complain too heavily. The contest was, after all, free to enter, and it did involve generous prizes.

I'm a little dismayed at the way some posts have gone here. At the same time, I'm very heartened by, and grateful for, those who have made the effort to celebrate.

I hear you, Poet. :)

Thank you again for the competition, Blarg. Like I have said several times in this thread and in PM's, I appreciate the time, effort and donations you have put into this and I congratulate all the winners, voters and those who took part.

But please, can you post the full details of the placing and the votes we received like you said you would?

If not, please could you give an explanation as to why not? I have been particularly interested in this as I am about to run a comp in the Western Genre and want to learn from any mistakes made so as not to repeat them.

We are all human, I doubt anyone will be angry if you made a mistake and say 'my in-box was full and didn't accept the PM's of the huge amount of people that voted' or you say 'I accidently deleted all the votes' or you say 'I was trying to protect someone from the embarrassment of no votes'.

All I want is to know whose poems were whose and how many votes people got. If this is not possible, I would like an explanation (any explanation will do) as to why. So, please, could you do that for me?

Again, I appreciate the time, effort and stress involved in any type of organizing (let me tell you I'm looking forward to organizing the western comp after this!) and think a simple response to the above questions will settle everything and make me -- and hopefully everyone else -- feel warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I really care about is knowing who wrote what poem. I am fine with pming Blarg for my ranking.

I don't think we should assume there was some error or mistake made by Blarg, either, just because he doesn't want to post the names and rankings. I don't assume that at all.

I am grateful he took on the task of coming up with the contest prompt and running it. Volunteering of one's time and energy, not to mention the prizes he put up, is something to be commended. Again, thank you, Blarg.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a horse in this race! For whatever reason my mind just froze when it came to the contest and I haven't been able to write a poem in two months. =(

But it didn't stop me from posting, pestering, prodding, and shaming people into voting for the contest entries. :)

Wonderful entries this year! It took me a week to vote. I had to read, re-read, let sit, take notes... goodness what talent!

And Blarg hon, I adore you for taking this project on! (and I have a few thoughts as to who might be 'volunteered' to run the next one).

If you get a chance, I'd love to know how many people voted. It doesn't have to be right this minute! I guess I'm wondering if my prodding helped at all.. ;)

Congrats to all the fine poets here at AW who contributed an amazing set of choices for this years contest, and to Blarg and all his little helpers for working so hard to put it all together!

Well done!

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I don't appreciate the negative tone this thread has taken. I don't appreciate what it does for the chances that others will host contests, or donate prizes, in the future, either. I'm certainly having my own doubts on the matter of my future participation. I am appalled that someone contacted the mods to complain about me and/or this contest. I didn't particularly feel like logging back in, for a long time, but I have to dispense prize(s).

Thank goodness for the good eggs. I appreciate your putting yourselves out there into a hostile environment. Many, if not most, wouldn't bother.

In not fully publicizing the votes, my goal was to preserve the discretion of those who might want the votes kept private. I frankly do not give a rat's ass if that doesn't follow what I said in the post that started up this contest, because people's feelings are more important than rules. Some might feel chagrined at their standing when the votes were counted. Anyone who doesn't understand and value that, I have no desire to talk to anyway. Let's both put each other on ignore and do each other a favor. Please let's never speak again. Simply do me the courtesy of letting me know you have ignored me so I won't waste energy critiquing your poems or responding to your posts.

The reason this post is even being made, which I think is a courtesy that is not particularly deserved, is because I see a way to a compromise that might satisfy the parties. But maybe not.

If all entrants agree that the votes and authors of each poem should be made public, it will be done.

I have already posted that I will tell entrants their ranking privately, and have done so with some -- privately.

If not, I would rather one entrant be kept happy in his privacy, for whatever reasons of his own he may have, than that all the others indulge their curiosity.

Entrants, send me your votes. YES to make it all public, NO to keep it private. Title PM "YES to make votes and authors public" or "NO to make votes and authors public." PM's won't be read so you might as well put "n/t" or "no text." Send no essays.

Any potential vote not sent will be counted as a "NO" vote.

You've got until Monday 12 midnight PST.

And whoever doesn't like it can go hang.

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Having Pm'd Blarg for my results, I can reveal them:

My poem: Asshole; ranked 9th.

Blarg said:
Total votes: 33
your rank: 9
your placement
1st: 2
2nd: 1
3rd: 2

How did you do?

Thanks to everyone who voted, Blarg for his organisation, the harbingers (looking at you Kelly) and all who took part, without whom there would have been no contest or anything to vote on... or about.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh let's not rank them :( They're poems...

I thought poetry was non-competitive. You're not really going to shatter my illusions, are you?

Because - you know - :cry:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Contest' would imply a certain degree of competition... I believe :D

Well, yes - but - you know... they're poems.

I don't know much about poetry competitions though. Is it usual to rank all the entrants?

(Disclosure: I wasn't an entrant - just a voter. So I probably don't count in the scheme of things. But, you know - :cry: )

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about poetry competitions though. Is it usual to rank all the entrants?

Ranking and other such tables are methods of discerning, distinguishing and defining placements. Though usually only the top few will be given an actual rank (prize-winners and mentions), the remainder will generally be considered unranked. Not all rankings may always be publicized outside of the top 3 (sometimes top 10); it depends on the level of transparency/disclosure being offered.

Most contests have a large volume of entries and a judging panel of a pre-defined number, so ranking is the most logical method to decide after a process of several tables and pools. For a contest of this size (rather small with only 15 entries), ranking isn't really necessary, but given the number of potential voters (the entire AW community), i.e. the scenario in reverse, it does still make sense. However, it isn't entirely necessary to reveal the actual rankings and simply publishing the number of votes would suffice -- but even then, participants will draw ranked conclusions of their own, no?

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if it's what the poets want. As long as nobody cries or anything....

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I would like to interject a little note for consideration.

If anyone hasn't noticed, we've not had any contests for awhile. And, there's good reason. It takes time out of a person's life for one. And, in this day and age, our time can be extremely limited. For someone to be gracious and supportive of the AW poetry forums enough to venture organizing and managing a contest, we are very fortunate.

The prizes, I will applaud, are marvelous. When I received a book of poetry from one of the mods, I treasured the experience as it made a virtual experience, very concrete! It's a souvenir that will always be close by.

I've been participating in the AW poetry forums since 2005 and, yes, I've seen some threads take such a negative and needless turn, they had to be closed down, which means discontinued.

The other day, I saw a very seemingly sensitive and hesitant noob (to the forum) attempt a poem that not many others attempt. Because of the reception, I believe, that poet seems to have vanished. There are other poetry communities that I've "tried out" and it's only here at AW that I have experienced such a level of encouragement and truthfulness that made me want to stay. Yes, I've been "pounced on" for lots of things and, at first, it hurt my feelings and I wanted to stop participating. But, the truth is, this is still a virtual community that exists without the trappings of having to "see" each other or interact with each other on a consistent basis. There's a freedom of coming here to look, learn and experiment that is priceless. I know that it will continue to be that way.

When we have little "family" flaps....just remember, we are a family, with the usual family ups and downs. No one's "out", we're in this together to keep AWpoetry forums one of the "ports" where those that love poetry can experience some of the greatest exchanges of thought on the subject.

Our community poetry projects are few and far between, because they are generated by us, managed by us and maintained by us! We're not one of those "fake" groups that so many sincere noobs get suckered into belonging and paying all those outrageous fees for "getting in print". We have integrity, because we have a standard of keeping engaged with respect and for being authentic. We don't ever want to lose something that is so impossible to find. Our mods are fair and just and if we really do need to have a serious problem addressed, we do have recourse with the wonderful people who maintain this site, God bless them.

So, my little speel is just trying to be a word of encouragement, love each other and enjoy the community! :Hug2:

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Congrats to the winners! I enjoyed reading all the entries.

I did not enter this contest but I've done a lot of them in the past, normally any listing of rank is just for those who placed (won prizes.) I can understand the upset about the extended ranking not being posted, according to the contest guidelines. But I don't see really what can be learned from such an extented ranking being publically posted. I have had a few poems not rank in contests and then win in another. It's who is doing the judging, and all opinion.

I have been a member of the AW family for a long spell. I know contests are a treat here. And KD already covered some of my thoughts on other supposed 'contests.'

We have a very rich and diverse family of writers here. With all those different personalities we do have conflicts or misunderstandings...but it is important to remember that we are here to improve ourselves as writers and help other members of our community improve. This is why I love AW. In the end, we support each other.

Thank you Blarg for sponsoring the contest and all the prizes you donated and your time and effort!

dl

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Blarg, thank you for openly showing sensitivity toward voters and offering privacy.

Also :Hug2: to the more seasoned poets who aren't so nervous and came into the competition expecting to see those rankings displayed, and also to any who do feel a little nervous, where the option of privacy may be preferred.

Heated discussion...fights...slamming of doors: nowt that a bit of patience, love, and one long, stubbily stick can't handle :D (well, I'm old. It's how family do it this end :pinata ;))

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<snip>

If all entrants agree that the votes and authors of each poem should be made public, it will be done.

Entrants, send me your votes. YES to make it all public, NO to keep it private. Title PM "YES to make votes and authors public" or "NO to make votes and authors public." PM's won't be read so you might as well put "n/t" or "no text." Send no essays.

Any potential vote not sent will be counted as a "NO" vote.

You've got until Monday 12 midnight PST.

Blarg,

I do hope you are still reading this thread, but on the off-chance you are not, I will be sending you this request in a pm as well.

Will you please separate the two issues of putting names beside the poems written and putting down the rankings? I think every poet will want their name associated with their poem, irregardless their ranking and their feelings on making that ranking public. The two issues are separate.

Also, the poets who entered the contest should be sent a pm to let them know about this vote. You are counting every non-vote as a "no" when the truth may be that some of the contestants are not reading this thread. It is only fair they be notified of the vote.

Thank you, Blarg.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I do support Blarg's contention that who voted and for what should remain private. I see nothing wrong with identifying the authors of the poems submitted after the results however. I'm sure we'd all like to know, if the poets themselves don't care.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome thread ! Truly was like "reading WWF transcripts and Public Service Announcements, and the plot, beat, figurative dance of words paces on ...awesomely!

ETA: actually posted to note Blarg's awesomeness, but somehow it ended up being about my own? Go figure!

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having Pm'd Blarg for my results, I can reveal them:

My poem: Asshole; ranked 9th.

How did you do?

Thanks to everyone who voted, Blarg for his organisation, the harbingers (looking at you Kelly) and all who took part, without whom there would have been no contest or anything to vote on... or about.

My poem: Hell; ranked 4th.

And, I want to thank the people who voted for it and the nice comments I have received in pm and reps about my poem. Those have meant the absolute world to me. Thank you for taking the time not only to vote, but to comment. :)