South Africa, 2010

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Australia's in the World Cup again. Last team to qualify for '06, first team to qualify for '10 (did it last week with two matches to spare). Go boys!

...But since we're calling it football now, can we please find another name for the national team? "Socceroos"... well, no.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see if the US can qualify

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.
Yup... ever since he was a joey, he's been dangerous from the pocket.

Aaaand they close out the qualifiers with a 2-1 victory over Japan -- in which they conceded the first goal of the entire campaign.

Tim Cahill's just brilliant. I thought it was tremendously ironic that Noel Gallagher said Cahill has a face you just want to slap. If ever a slappable face was put on a head, it's Noel's.

Anyhoo - we're on our way!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm not much into soccer but since you posted the name: South Africa, you knew I had to peek in. ;)

OH and *stalks poet*

Haha! I knew I would find you here. And I just came in because I'm East Africa 2009! hehe.

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Russia vs. Germany... THAT will be a showdown!!! :D I'm sooooo looking forward to that game... If Shava stays healthy and in good shape- we have a decent chance to qualify from the first place in our Group! YAYYY!!! :D Without Shava though, we'll be happy to draw and hope that Germans fail in further games...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
And England will be there.
I wonder if the stadia will be finished in time

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C

One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength team

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength team
Unconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.

Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.

-----

Australia take ONE recognised striker in their entire squad. ONE.

ONE.

We took more GOALKEEPERS than strikers.

And I don't even remember striker's name. Apparently, Verbeek hopes that three draws - one of them against Germany - will be enough.

First to qualify, first to land in South Africa. First to punch their ticket back home? *grumble*

I cannot believe Pim Verbeek and Guus Hiddink come from the same country.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Unconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

But they can't defend set pieces

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Very true

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.

I could see USA finishing second in the group

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.

I have unresolved hatred issues with the England players stemming from the fiasco of hubris and incompetence that was Germany 2006. Frank Lampart actually he said he thought they were the golden generation. If you're going to come up with absurd boasting, at least win something first. At least reach a semi-final, for god's sake.

(And you should see how I sledge the opposition).

I could see USA finishing second in the group

Hey, that's England's position. Unless...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
England 2 Japan 1
Unconvincing again though they won

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
USA 2 Turkey 1

First half dreadful for the Americans, down 1-0, which was lucky for them.

Second half, with critical substitutions, a different team -- they showed real spark and some creative play. Which team will show up in SA?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So, any thoughts on the England squad?
I'm surprised he's not included Walcott.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
*waves the "I know nothing about football" flag.* Or the Saltire, as it's more commonly known

Oh, you shouldn't be so hard on your boys. They do hold a World Cup record, after all.*

* record number of exits in the first round