The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
This is brilliant. Tell me more about these virtual post-it notes. :)

I just checked and they are actually called 'sticky-notes'. There's a button at the bottom of my screen and I just click on it and past a comment in. Then, whenever I turn on my laptop, they are the first things I see. :)

Change of subject here, gang! Will be on CBC Radio on May 28 at 1 PM and on June 2 at 4 PM with Shelagh Rogers on The Next Chapter. If you aren't in Canada but would like to put a voice to these posts (I think I sound like a chihuahua, personally), it will be livestreamed on CBC's website (cbc.ca/thenextchapter) and up as a podcast as of Monday. Sure hope I didn't babble!

Yay, Peggy!!!

All I can remember is blithering on at one point for several minutes before I realized that Shelagh had been cut off and that I was talking to myself :).

:D

Opportunity lost, Peggy. :) You could've imagined us all as male and female speznas. :D

I'm picturing us all bald and bare-chested here. :roll:

Congrats, Fuchsia!!!

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh that is too funny. I'm going to speak in an accent today and giggle like a kook when no one understands why. ha ha...
Peggy, you are a rock star!

hey, in the realm of fairly obvious, I have a question for all of you mostly for the needy fact that perhaps maybe someone I know may be experiencing this...not me...it's a friend...a friend of a friend...eh, a friend of a friend's cousin's roomate...but certainly not me.

Has being on submission made any of you extremely paranoid? Like I don't know, a neurotic, over-analytical whackadoo?

Not since college have I, eh, my friend's dog's roomate's brother, that is, seen anything like it.

Silence can be terrifying and the calendar, well the calendar is just evil.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked and they are actually called 'sticky-notes'. There's a button at the bottom of my screen and I just click on it and past a comment in. Then, whenever I turn on my laptop, they are the first things I see. :)

KT explained to me that it is available in Windows 7, which is awesome. Unfortunately, I am still stuck in the land of Windows XP.

hey, in the realm of fairly obvious, I have a question for all of you mostly for the needy fact that perhaps maybe someone I know may be experiencing this...not me...it's a friend...a friend of a friend...eh, a friend of a friend's cousin's roomate...but certainly not me.

Has being on submission made any of you extremely paranoid? Like I don't know, a neurotic, over-analytical whackadoo?

No. I've always been a paranoid, neurotic, over-analytical whackadoo AKA a writer. :D

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
womp womp, another near miss. That's two seconds reads that went nowhere. This one was much more critical than the other rejections I've gotten, so it stings. I don't think I'm very optimistic about this project anymore. I don't know, I have a feeling it's not going to sell.

I'm working on other things of course. But it worries me a bit.

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm high, but Misses, I think you're that much closer. Keep the faith. :] You're getting this far for a reason.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Noompsy -- I have become a total calendar-stalking, paranoid, gibberish-spouting, email-hovering, agent-harassing, overly emotional, highly unpredictable, whackadoo of epic proportions. I will say that the longer I'm on sub, the easier it gets. The silence is really hard, I agree. Everyone says that working on your next project will help and that's true, if you can get your brain to engage. It took me almost two months to get back in the game. Not pretty, but true. :)

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
{{{misses}}} that was the case with my 2nd read too. The R was kind of brutal, which was particularly surprising because I figured to have gotten that far, the ed would have liked it at least a LITTLE bit. Ugh. So sorry you're feeling that way.

But don't give up hope! I agree that second reads mean you're heading in the right direction. You'll get there!

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
And thanks so much for all the hugs and reps and virtual chocolate everyone. I really appreciate it. Just knowing I have you guys to vent to - and you'll actually UNDERSTAND - makes it all a little easier. :)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Well of course we're all paranoid. But that doesn't mean *they*'re not out to get us ...... :).

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((misses))) It's going to happen. I *feel* it. You can't get this close for nothing.

Also, agent got back to me. Loved revisions. Pitch letter creation tomorrow, which means...DOUBLE SUB! Hold me.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
GOOD LUCK, Snappy! Double sub, yikes.

I'm sorry to hear the second read didn't pan out, MD. I wish I had something more eloquent for you than "freaking sucks," but... freaking sucks, dude. Sorry.

I kind of want to whine about the absolute deafening silence right now, but I feel like if I tempt Fate, the silence immediately turns into not-silence. You stay over there, Fate. Unless you have good news, then we'll go get a coffee.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Snappy!!

Well, my last R on ms #3 came in today. It was nicer than the previous one, so that's good. Unfortunately, though, this was the last gasp for this ms, so it's officially going in the trunk now. Which makes me sad, but I also feel more or less at peace with it, mostly because of this recent blog post: http://bethrevis.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-of-my-heart.html

I've still got my R&R to pin my hopes to, so it's not all dreary bleakness here. Agent is going to let me know what she thinks of my revisions next week, and we'll go from there. I just keep telling myself this hard road is going to make THE CALL even sweeter.

Here's to everyone getting good news soon, and if not soon, finding the strength and dog-headedness to keep going until they do!!! :)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Snappy!!

Well, my last R on ms #3 came in today. It was nicer than the previous one, so that's good. Unfortunately, though, this was the last gasp for this ms, so it's officially going in the trunk now. Which makes me sad, but I also feel more or less at peace with it, mostly because of this recent blog post: http://bethrevis.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-of-my-heart.html

I've still got my R&R to pin my hopes to, so it's not all dreary bleakness here. Agent is going to let me know what she thinks of my revisions next week, and we'll go from there. I just keep telling myself this hard road is going to make THE CALL even sweeter.

Here's to everyone getting good news soon, and if not soon, finding the strength and dog-headedness to keep going until they do!!! :)

Oh geez, thanks for posting this link! It made me kind of sad? But I think I needed to read it. I'm not at that stage yet, but I guess I need to consider that it might not sell and be okay with it.

Not there yet, but working on it. And of course working on another project in the mean time. Do you think you'll ever consider self publishing it?

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Aw Tracy. That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear it. Fingers crossed for you, Snappy. Hell could use a little good luck right now.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Snappy! As Peggy said, hell needs some good stuff right now!!!

(((Tracy)))
(((misses))

I just read Beth Revis' blogspot. I'm on month eight of sub with 'the book of my heart.' Argh. I still have my R&R to cling to, so I'm not giving up hope yet, but still... that article has me wanting to dive into my next work just incase.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
misses - I've briefly considered self-publishing, but I don't think it's the right approach for that book, at least not yet. Mostly because it's envisioned as the first in a trilogy, and I don't want to commit to writing two more books knowing I'll only be able to self-publish them. Right now I'm going to try to concentrate on other things, but I do still hope that someday, somehow I'll get a chance to share that book with the world. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
(((Tracy, Misses))) I had a second read just recently that pulled the rug out from underneath me too. These hurt, and it really made me doubt the value of the book, even though it hasn't even been out there long at all. Instead of thinking I have a lame horse in the race that needs therapy and care, I'm tempted to shoot the damn thing in the head and be done with it. On the other hand it's a contender for first place in a contest...

Talk about mixed signals.

tri:flag:

Status
Not open for further replies.