Jeez, why is this always so awkward...

Paradise Squandered

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexstefansson.blogspot.com
Hey everybody, my name is Alex, and I like to write! :)

I grew up in the suburbs of Seattle and have lived in Western Washington my entire live. As such, I drink obscene (some would say heroic) quantities of coffee and never use an umbrella. I currently live in Tacoma with my wife and 2 year old son.

My debut novel, Paradise Squandered, was recently (self) published, and I have since learned just how terrible I am at the business side of writing. I couldn't believe how long it took me just to come up with a description.

I've been a periodic reader of the AW blog for quite a while now, but I only now summoned up the courage to begin participating in the forum.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Hey, Paradise Squandered, welcome to AW!

Good luck with your novel.

(I agree, the business side of writing isn't nearly as fun as writing.)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alex...

Congrats on self-publishing. Certainly will remember you if it comes to self-publishing my own novel. it seems like a viable option these days, but pride wants me to see the thing published traditionally. Welcome to the board!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alex!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Paradise Squandered

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexstefansson.blogspot.com
WyattEarp, I know exactly what you mean about self publishing. It took me 5 years to finish my first novel, and I was very reluctant to even consider self publishing at first, but the more I read about different publishing options, the more self publishing seemed to make sense--for me at least.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Hey Alex, welcome to the forum. Great news on the novel - sorry to hear that the business side is a bit harder than expected. If you look at it though, if it were easy, it wouldn't be special :) Have a read through the self-pub forums, there is some solid advice from the tried and tested stories of other users. No sense learning something by yourself if you can learn from someone else's experience. Good luck and hope you have a good time here - make the most of the resources :)

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
WyattEarp, I know exactly what you mean about self publishing. It took me 5 years to finish my first novel, and I was very reluctant to even consider self publishing at first, but the more I read about different publishing options, the more self publishing seemed to make sense--for me at least.

And it may end up making the most sense for me. I think (even if I self-publish) that trying to position my book to get the attention of an agent/publisher has made the book better.

AdeaNeedsCoffee

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!
I used to live in Seattle. Yeah, it is weird that the locals don't use umbrellas, I thought. But, the coffee...ahhhh, the coffee. Blissful. I miss the coffee.