• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Inkwell Management

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks rtrgirl!

I'm beyond excited! This is the first full I've had requested off of a partial rather than just a query. And Catherine's definitely at the top of my list!

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Has anyone had any interactions with Nathaniel Jacks of InkWell Management? He appears to be interested in sci/fi and fantasy but I'm struggling to find out anything specific.

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in querying Mr. Pine at Inkwell. Anyone have any response times for this agent?

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
hey folks

I know Catherine Drayton has a reputation for being FAST but I think I've got you all beat. She replied with a request for 50 pages 1 minute after I sent my query. I thought it was an automated response and was stunned to see a human reply :)

Will let you know if I get the big "R" or a request for full.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This speed everyone's reporting is making me afraid mine got lost. It hasn't been a horribly long time so I'm not too worried, just longer than it looks like she usually takes.

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
hey Sage

Good luck! I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
Sage, I FINALLY got a rejection from my 10/19 resent query to Catherine on 1/20 by what must have been her assistant.

I guess she only replies right away when she's interested. But by the time I received the rejection, I was like, "..........Why bother?" I had already checked her name off and started querying an entirely different project.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
To all of you who queried Catherine Drayton, did you email her through the general submissions from their website or her personal email listed on AgentQuery?

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
I also queried at the general submissions email, though I put Attn: Catherine Drayton after my title in the subject line.

That was on 10/24
rec'd partial request on 10/27
full request on 12/08
emailed full on 12/09 and rec'd confirmation of receipt same day

Just over two months now... and I have no nails left to bite. :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.
I've gotten enough requests after a few months (one after a year) that I don't do this. The only time I do consider it (considering it now), is with the next project.

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
Got an email from Catherine today. My heart jumped into my throat thinking it was a reply to my full, when in reality... it was another email saying she liked my partial, and asking for the full(which she already had). I was so confused, and was stressing trying to figure out what to say in a reply, but luckily she emailed back shortly apologizing and saying it was a mistake. She then said she was about to start reading and wanted to make sure I hadn't accepted representation.

I have to say though... now, at least, I know the upgrade from partial to a full wasn't a fluke, because she's done it TWICE.

:)

Also, now I'm panicking everytime my phone vibrates with a new email. Urgh.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.

Let us know if you ever do figure out who's the "mystery agent" there.

sarahfru

Chin up.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahrae.net
Inkwell Management

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Inkwell? After querying the agent, I got an email over 2 weeks ago from Ethan Bassoff asking for the first 100 pages of my novel. I haven't heard back. After a week, it felt promising. After 2 weeks, I think he passed on the novel without ever letting me know. Anyone else get this kind of brush-off?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm sure a mod will be along to move this to here--> <snipped>

But in general (that is, in the industry), responses to partial submissions can take months to receive.

I'd wait before writing this one off. But keep querying in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Sarah, and welcome to AW.

There's a thread on Inkwell Management here.

There's also a general index to pre-existing threads here so you can see if an agency is being discussed.

It usually takes agents a while to give a response after they've asked for a partial so a fortnight is nothing. Personally, I'd give it a couple of months and then nudge to see if he's had a chance to read it.

MM

Last edited by a moderator:

Sara Lou

YA/UF/Paranormal author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sara-hubbard.com
I queried Catherine on the 16th of March ([email protected]) and have yet to receive a reply--I know it's still early. The posts are confusing and the agency seems a little inconsistent. I have no idea when I should expect a response.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I still haven't heard after 2.5 months.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I had to query Catherine twice. I queried her at the beginning of Feb and then again mid March. She got back to me within three days the second try.