Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Komnena! Is this the graveyard shift?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am still contemplating a get together, I have just been pre-occupied with getting well lately.

I've met Maryn 3 times and Komnena and her hubby twice.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everyone. I may absent myself from the computer pretty soon, but it's because my stupid eye is being stupid, not because I don't love you all.

I've already missed the window of opportunity for a walk in the cool of the morning, so I guess I should get off my butt and run some errands, starting with buying gas so I can run errands.

Maryn, who only did 15 miles this week instead of the 18 she swore she'd finish

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from Miles City, Montana (the real place, not the classic Alice Munro story). A cattle town abuzz with its big annual event, the Bucking Horse sale. Cowboys try to stay on a wild horse bareback for eight seconds; each horse is auctioned off to rodeos right after it has put the cowboy on the ground. Starts tomorrow but the motels had filled up already by Tues night. M, I will fill in next week's plans after I get to Philly Friday,
Trevor, sittng a chair not a horse

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But can you stay on your chair for the requisite eight seconds?

It's going to storm soon, the sky is announcing. Do I run my errands now and hope to beat it, or wait until it's over? Yeah, I know, slow out of the gate today. And plenty of other days, too.

Maryn, thinking errands first

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
what did you decide Maryn?

So - things I've learned from an anti yeast diet with only some meats, certain veggies, legumes and nuts...

Bread really rounds out a meal (or potatoes)
Veggies are good with ranch
Nuts are good but not when there pretty much all you can snack on.
Coconut is NOT breakfast food

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anti-yeast? That's weird. Not that I'm some nutritionist, but who's allergic to or negatively impacted by dietary yeast? And there's no yeast in potatoes, so it sounds like what they really want is you to have less carbs (or none?).

If yeast really is the heart of it, find the kosher section at area grocery stores. They'll have unleavened (yeast-free) breads, flatbreads, etc.

I decided to race the rain yesterday and I pretty much beat it. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees in a half hour as the storm rolled through, though, and it stayed cool after, so I was dressed all wrong. The horror, huh?

Maryn, whose days are that action-packed

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Says who and why?

I'm not picking on you, Sassy; I know you're just sayin', but this is something that has absolutely boggled my mind most of my life, so pardon my little rant. :)

I reject the idea that any particular food is or is not suitable or permissible for consumption at any particular time of day. I say the entire notion is a matter of conditioning (brainwashing) by societal and cultural practices, habits and traditions, often directed by corporate marketing. It's been pounded into our little monkey minds via advertising from the time the doctor first smacked us on the butt, facilitated by what our parents told us, who were similarly programmed, before we could even think for ourselves.

Food is food, and nutrition is nutrition. Our bodies (and our taste buds, unless our psyche has been manipulated) will accept it regardless of the hour.

But, I get it. If that's what we've been conditioned to think, it's difficult to rewrite the programming. :Soapbox: Forgive me.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
what did you decide Maryn?

So - things I've learned from an anti yeast diet with only some meats, certain veggies, legumes and nuts...

Bread really rounds out a meal (or potatoes)
Veggies are good with ranch
Nuts are good but not when there pretty much all you can snack on.

I can't help but agree with some of this. I really dig bread (or potatoes) with a meal. I know this may sound silly, but I've gone to The Olive Garden twice recently because I can't get enough of their yummy soft buttery bread sticks every time I order a meal there. Sooo good.

I'll eat most veggies with ranch.

I'll eat nuts alone, especially the salt free cashews. Those are good eatin'. Salt free almonds are good too and are supposed to be good for leveling out blood sugar. I used "good" too many times in that sentence. :D

I don't really know what time of day is best for coconut because I rarely eat anything with coconut anyway. However, I used to love Almond Joys and Mounds candy bars. Those I would snack on any time of day. Mmmm..."sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't"...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Sass, great work. We agree to disagree on coconut in general - I've discovered the joys of coconut milk as a coffee creamer. Not quite as good as eggnog, but what is? :) I love nuts but if I eat too much in a sitting my body rebels in unpleasant ways.
I was bad today, I did lunch at the Indian buffet. My excuse was I had a sore throat, and that hot chutney and super spicy food is a salve. But the flatbreads they serve to clean your plate with? There's something magic about that...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you have nan? My super-duper grocery store has recently begun selling fresh nan and it looks so good.

Like I need to fall head-over-heels for another baked product! So far I've resisted buying it.

Maryn, who should be at the store at this very moment, but isn't

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Hope the eye feels better soon, Maryn!
Junk week starts today. That's where we can put all manner of stuff out to be hauled off. I spent close to an hour today piling stuff up.
How's the diet going,Sass?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Junk week sounds like an excellent idea. We don't have it here. Which means I can dilly-dally and delay rounding up the junk indefinitely, which I seem to have done.

Maryn, who needs to go clean the kitchen soon if we're to eat tonight

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well russ, marketing or not, I don't feel like I've had a meal with a few bites of almonds and a few bites of coconut. (Which We bought a fresh one and my husband kindly broke it open and cut it up for me.) They told me I am "sensitive" to eggs and to limit them to 1 or 2 times per week. I don't like rhubarb or yogurt and I am not going to eat a lemon W/O sugar! So that left almonds and coconut - now I know I know, people LOVE cocnut, but I never ate it much and don't care for the texture, but the fresh one was tolerable, it has a nice subtle sweetness. So I was eating it dailey for bfast...

so guess what?! I'm ALLERGIC to coconut! I have the hives to prove it. Big ones.

Anti-yeast? That's weird. Not that I'm some nutritionist, but who's allergic to or negatively impacted by dietary yeast? And there's no yeast in potatoes, so it sounds like what they really want is you to have less carbs (or none?).

If yeast really is the heart of it, find the kosher section at area grocery stores. They'll have unleavened (yeast-free) breads, flatbreads, etc.
It wasn't so much that I have an allergy to yeast but that I have yeast in my system, so the doctor says. So I can't eat anything that will feed it, like sugar, fruit, bread, basically all the good stuff.
So the doctor says. I am skeptical. And I cheat. Hubby and I get biscuits on Friday mornings and last week I got scrambled eggs instead but this week I got me a sausage biscuit and it was GOOD.

Growing tired of salads, I made scrambled eggs with spinach, black beans, chicken and tomato yesterday. SO GOOD I had them for breakfast again to day.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Don't dally too much with the junk, Maryn. I did and now I'm having to deal with the results of my procrastination. The neighbors probably hate me now.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Neuro! Friday I was out with friends. Today I have cleaned litterboxes.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
In Philadelphia: hanging with kid 3 (daughter 2) and her fiance, talking about their October wedding and enjoying glorious sunshine! Tomorrow, baseball, Red Sox vs. Phillies, battle of the cellar dwellers! Today, some sort of pedal festival to take in (reportage to follow soon).

Trevor, ready for spring

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fizzy! Nice to see your smilin' face. (Not that you other guys are slouches. I make it my business to try to get you all to smile every so often.) I assume you've been busy and the school year has now come to an end at last?

Hmm, Friday night I was watching our first-ever Blu-Ray, and disappointed both with the movie itself and with Blu-Ray, which doesn't seem to have any sharper a picture than regular DVDs, just a buttload of extra features we don't especially want. (Picture-in-picture commentary, the ability to look up actors' other credits while the movie's on... yawn.) I was expecting better.

Trevor, we'll be watching the Sox on TV tonight. Well, I'll probably be half-watching, which I prefer unless I'm physically at the game.

Komnena, in yesterday's mail we got a card about VOA being in our neighborhood next weekend, so the plan is for me to spend some time this coming week logging and boxing items for give-away. It's usually not too bad once I get started, when I have certain items in mind at least. Which I do, some anyway.

Rant: Why don't adults teach kids courtesy on trails shared by walkers, runners, and bikes? Today's a lovely day and lots of groups of kids, led by adults, were bike riding on the Erie Canal towpath. Mr. Maryn got bumped by a kid on a bike, and I got bumped twice. No injuries, but someone needs to be instructing them on the basic courtesies of sharing a trail, like calling out, "On your left" before you pass someone, and choosing not to pass when people are coming from the other direction, because someone's going to be forced off the path. Here endeth the rant.

Maryn, who was annoyed at the leaders' lack of leadership

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've been snowed under, particularly in the last two months of the semester. It's the busiest I've been in a long time. But I've been AWOL for longer than that. Many changes going on in my life, so I decided to pull a Ray and be scarce. On the good news, I have a girlfriend. She lives four hours away, so that is slowing everything down (exactly what I prefer right now). I signed a contract for my long-in-edits story (titled "3.99"). This is the one I brought to the last HOL get-together, so y'all had a hand in getting it into shape.Many thanks for your detailed comments, Maryn. I'll have to pick your brain so I get all of the names right in the acknowledgements.

I'm currently on the West Coast, at Friday Harbor Labs, for my Summer research but I'll be here for a short three weeks only. I have to be back because I go with my son to Boy Scout camp for a week in mid-June.

I hope everyone here is well and having success with their writing. I heard the news about CactusWendy. Very sad. Catch me up on anything else AWish. Are the young guns still flaming out in significant numbers or is there more of a tame feel to the place now?

Good to be back, although I suspect I'll be in-and-out until I catch up on all of the backlogged projects I shoved back during the last little while.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
so guess what?! I'm ALLERGIC to coconut! I have the hives to prove it. Big ones.

It wasn't so much that I have an allergy to yeast but that I have yeast in my system, so the doctor says. So I can't eat anything that will feed it, like sugar, fruit, bread, basically all the good stuff.
So the doctor says. I am skeptical. And I cheat. Hubby and I get biscuits on Friday mornings and last week I got scrambled eggs instead but this week I got me a sausage biscuit and it was GOOD.

Growing tired of salads, I made scrambled eggs with spinach, black beans, chicken and tomato yesterday. SO GOOD I had them for breakfast again to day.

Sorry to hear that Sass. Some of the grocery stores have "organic" sections with foods specified for those with food allergies. There are also some supplements that can help reducde too much yeast in someone's system. (My mom takes one very day, and she thinks she just developed a new allergy to anything with tomato recently).

Food, gluten, yeast, etc, sensitivities can be a bummer but some of the vegetarian cook books have interesting ideas if you're getting tired of salad every day. Can you eat soy products at all, or do those cause any kind of problem? They have lots of "meatless" recipes with soy items.

I still eat Garden Burgers and BOCA burgers sometimes. Certain foods don't settle with my digestive system as well as they used to. I know that more adults are developing food allergies later in life. Sometimes I wonder if all the processed foods we eat are contributing to more food allergies over time.

I like to make a salad with veggie crumbles if I get bored with just adding kidney beans all the time. That gives me more of a protein fix. (I like eggs and meat too but have to limit them sometimes).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered if a good woman had located you yet, Fizz. I figured it was simply a matter of time. If she makes you a happy man, then I'm delighted.

Maryn, who likes it when everybody's happy (pretty outrageous stance, I know)

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Very full and fine day, 3,000 miles from home (from which I can almost see Friday Harbor, Orcas Is. is in the way). Went to Italian Market district in S. Philly, where a festival of some sort was going on; went into Fante's and watched a pasta rolling and cutting demo. All en route to the ball game where the last place Red Sox bested the last place Phillies, making me happier than kid #3 and her beaux, son-in-law to be come oct. Thence to a party with their friends, all >30 (does that mean under?) and having some good chats. Diet is off the radar this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.