Status
Not open for further replies.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Help! I need some advice.

I’ve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of “avatar” is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

Think of another word for the proper use of the word indeed! That's just silly.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

I agree.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Probably by the time your book comes out, people will have forgotten those movies. When I first started showing my WIendlessP to people, it was about the time of the LOTR movies, and everyone was saying, oh, you can't use magic rings.

Pbbbt, I say. Pbbbbbt.

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
stick with it, those are poor examples of the word. You're on the right track!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What Da Ferret said

IIRC, Babylon Steel (by AW's Broadswordbabe) makes use of avatars in the sense you are talking about and calls them that. Because, well, because that's what they are I assume..I never once thought of the cartoon while I was reading - though in the cartoon wasn't the avatar the divine entity reborn or somesuch?

Don't call your rabbits smerps, or your avatars bingley beeps.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com

Yes please! Take the word back for those of us who know what it was supposed to mean.

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
@OP if the word makes you uncomfortable enough not to use after the above advice, consider using the term "Surrogates" i.e. that cool Bruce Willis movie. Maybe your piece could trendize (not a word) that term

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Though I agree with the general consensus, I wouldn't recommend using the word avatar in the title. That's where you'll get people associating it with the films. People who can't get past other things when the word is used in context probably aren't part of your target audience anyway.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say stick with it. If a publisher wants you to change it down the line, then maybe, but I wouldn't worry about it. Avatar has the original meaning, and the meaning William Gibson gave it.

Call it what you want, but don't feel you have to change it because of blue cat people running around in loincloths.

Darkh0rse

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the majority. You are actually using the word for what it was meant to be used for.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your thoughtful replies. This does ease my mind on the subject.

BabySealWriter

Often misses his target
Registered
Reaction score
Help! I need some advice.

I’ve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of “avatar” is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

It really depends on your use of the word. I haven't read anything but you description leads me to believe that you are using the word by its textbook definition. I think it is more than ok for you to use it. Critiques are great but it is still your book. If you feel comfortable keeping it then keep it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I also think you're okay. Avatar (the movie) is something completely different than what usually comes to mind when I think of "avatar."

Never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender or whatever it was (movie or television series).

I think of gods inhabiting human form. I have the same concept in my book (though it's part of the mythology, not the present story). I called the original vessels "avatars." It's what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.