Teacher fired for breaking the ice.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Not to mention for touching the tuchuse of a young boy and having him do the same.

A Manhattan judge upheld the firing of substitute teacher Celestine Sam last week after she rubbed the back of a 9-year-old boy in front of the class and then had him return the favor.

During the reciprocal rubdown at Brooklyn’s PS 17 in Feb. 2009, both the 35-year-old teacher and student touched each other’s tuchuses, according to court documents.

I think this conduct should be beneath an teacher. In my mind, there's no butt's about it, she crossed a line.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or just want to crack a joke or two?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Can't we just put this behind us?

Turn the other cheek?

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
No doubt she had good intentions, but I'm afraid she made an ass of herself.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"

That's a different word. Tuchuse is pronounced TOOK-us. Means the same thing.

It's pretty weird, and I'm not surprised she was fired. What was she thinking?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Celia: What was she thinking? She learned some variation of the 'trust exercise' in some non-education course (and I hate to think what the world will make of 'rub-down' missionaries) and applied it to teaching?
Did none of her teacher training classes explain 'No Touching'? She's not some twenty-something, fresh out of teacher college - doesn't she read the papers? Professional articles? Discuss this cool new thing she learned with colleagues? Who I would hope would try to stop her.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.
---

It's plain to see you've never grown up in a Jewish household.

:D

Oh, well, we've all learned something today.

And yes, the teacher was an ass!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have to wonder how strongly they are emphasising to the teacher about ethics and appropriate behavior in those education classes the teachers have to take to get their degree...

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.
Reminds me of this story of a woman only getting 5 years in prison (she will have to serve at least half that time) for having sex with underage kids http://www.livermorevalleynews.com/2011/03/hummer-mom-sentence-5-years-in-prison.html

and this one from a teacher in the same area
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...e-teacher-admits-sexually-assaulting-student/

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't if the context was the same (someone to verify it was a specific excercise) but I would definitely consider it a much much larger judgement fail because the reactions tend to differ.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.
:nothing

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess there's touching and there's touching.

I give my students a pet on the shoulders if they do well. I've taken unruly boys by the arm when it was needed. I've slung my arm around the shoulders of a girl when she told me sobbingly how her parents mistreated her. Hell, I've even received hugs from students after the graduation ceremony. Touch is a way human express themselves and it can be very powerful and useful.

Ofcourse, the touches I described are thouroughly non-sexual. I would never touch a students bum, or massage them or anything like it. But I don't want to dismiss the power of touch right off the bat.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, she lost what was already a temporary job for what was probably an accidental action. It seems reasonably proportional to me.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced. :)

It has about 15 different accepted spellings according to my Jewish MIL who sometimes calls me a toches lecker (ass kisser). The only truly proper spelling is הינטן. The English spelling is just slang.