The Shining - Kubrick's VS television mini-series

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
Which adaptation of Stephen King's "The Shining" did you like better, Stanley Kubrick's or the television mini-series?

Personally I like them both on their own differing merits, but I'll get into that later.

Last edited:

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I hated the mini-series and loved the Stanley Kubrick.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Kubrick's version, definitely.

The only positive about the mini-series is it seemed to be a little truer to the book...or at least they included more stuff. But I still didn't like it as well.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The mini-series is probably much closer to the book but the Kubrick film...jeez, it's Kubrick. IMHO, the former seems more like a somewhat klutzy literal translation of a masterpiece while the latter 'reads better' though further from the original.

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
The mini-series was watchable and stuck closer to the source material, which is always a plus for me.

As for the Kubrick version . . .

Look, casting the woman born to play Olive Oyl was, um, odd. It kind of threw me off of my feed.

Nice visuals, though.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously in the miniseries, the lady chosen to play Wendy was much closer to the book's description. Also, the boy who played Danny was an actor with a much wider range, but also older and not as cute. I liked both, but lean towards the movie.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Film, of course. I don't know anyone who preferred the mini. For me, although it stuck close to the book, it seemed sterile and didn't scare me.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Hands down the Kubrick version. I LOVE the red bathroom--that's sooo Kubrick :) It's a masterpiece and there is an alternate ending from what i've heard.

The mini-series is closer to the book but not nearly as good. And that kid who played Danny----what's up with his teeth? He looks like a rabbit..sorry but he's creepier than Jack :)

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
The film, without a doubt.

As much as I love the book I was always a little dissatisfied with the ending. I think the ending of Kubrick's film is much better, even if Stephen King himself wasn't at all happy about it.

The film really is a masterpiece. One of the few genuinely scary films :)