Where do you keep what you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
On your hard drive? Printed out in a writerly-decorated binder? Stuffed in an old FEDEX box in the closet?

For now mine are in individual folders but I need something a bit more creative.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a writing folder and sub-folders on my computer. And backed up to an external drive and to an Internet backup website.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
*watches thread*

I have copies on my harddrive, a thumb drive, a secondary harddrive and that's it, which I know is not safe as any and all of those can fail at any time (I've already had a harddrive failure and a thumb drive failure). I'd love to find a nice internet backup place that's not dropbox (which I just have this, perhaps irrational, fear of using).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have copies on my harddrive, a thumb drive, a secondary harddrive and that's it, which I know is not safe as any and all of those can fail at any time (I've already had a harddrive failure and a thumb drive failure). I'd love to find a nice internet backup place that's not dropbox (which I just have this, perhaps irrational, fear of using).

You could use the free version of Mozy if you just want to back-up document files (and not photos or videos). They give you 2 GB free (of course, with the hope that you will eventually need more); 2 GB is a lot of Word files. I've used Mozy and it works well.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The D drive on the computer is where all the active files are stored, the external hard drives, cloud storage and various other places are for semi-killed projects, while the print-outs are confined to the ancient and rather creaking things which may or may not be picked up again. I try to remember to save everything in a few places, but I am terrible at remembering where I saved the latest version of anything...

Oh, and I think Google Drive has 5GB free, straight off. Need to check it out to be sure though

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I save my writing:
  • every time on my hard drive
  • occasionally on a secondary hard drive
  • just as occasionally on a flash drive
  • once in a blue moon by printing out (though I do that more because I want to read paper instead of a computer screen, rather than viewing it as a form of backing up).
I should probably be taking more precautions. However, I have a history of being careless about backing up, so that's a big improvement for me! :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've had a hard drive fail (twice! Once with smoke...) but living with an IT guru has its perks. :D

I save to a writing folder (Subdivided into crits, released books, current projects, ideas etc)

I also back up to sugar synch (a cloud backup like dropbox) which lets me move projects to my laptop etc without worrying that things will get lost.

I also email important projects to myself every now and again, especially a final version

I should probably use a thumb drive too, but Son keeps 'borrowing' it....

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hard drive, thumb drive, and too infrequently I back up to an external hard drive.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
A writing folder in Documents, three memory sticks, and occasionally I update on an external hard drive (which reminds me, I must do that again soon).

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I use Dropbox. I initially tried to save to both my hard drive and Dropbox, but I kept forgetting to do one or the other and lost two manuscripts because of it, so now I just save to Dropbox. I tend to kill computers after a year or two (seriously, the laptop I'm using right now is my fourth computer in as many years, though two of the ones I've gone through in that time were hand-me-downs from hubby), so for me it makes more sense to just use some form of cloud storage.

All of my books that have been published, or at least submitted, are also in folders in my web-based email accounts, so if Dropbox fails, I can access those that way. (I just wouldn't have access to my works in progress.)

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
"My Docs", and periodically I email projects to myself. So far I haven't lost much; mostly problems arise for me from my tendency to create file names like "Project 1". Sorting through 20 "Project 1"s is ever so much fun 3 years later :tongue

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
My laptop, my husband's server, and Dropbox.

I don't keep hardcopies anymore, and I'm a frothy-mouthed fanatic about everyone keeping at least two backups, one of which is not located in your house.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
-- C Drive (My Documents subfolder)
-- Daily Dropbox backups
-- Daily G-Mail backups

Backup everything.

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Everything is backed up to Carbonite. Anything I'm working on currently is also in my Dropbox.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
On my hard drive. Each novel project gets its own folder in My Documents. Then it's moved into the Completed Projects folder when it's finally done.
Backed up onto a USB stick, which I then carry around with me everywhere when I leave the house.
Current work backed up onto Google Drive. And I keep all previous versions of novel drafts as I work on them, so I can always get back to something from a couple of days back.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
My Documents, 2 usb drives, and Microsoft Skydrive. I had a laptop die recently and I had forgotten to do a backup right after finishing the last chapter of a book, so now I'm paranoid.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I keep the absolute most recent version on both my hard drive and a thumb drive. I'm pretty anal about keeping them both up-to-date. I also occasionally email myself the file.

That way, I know for sure that a recent version is out there in the interweb ether, even if it isn't the most recent version. I also know that the most recent version is in the pocket of my purse in case I want to revise and in case there's a fire at the apartment that destroys my computer.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hard drive and I e-mail them to myself. Should my hard drive fail (knock on wood!), I know that the file exists in two separate e-mail accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.