I am officially allowed to share now. really. I'm srs this time. for reals. lol.(see post 65)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And so now, here is My Official Congratulations! YAY!!! :) :) :)
For those who don't suscribe to Publishers Marketplace, a "good" deal means a six figure advance... :hooray:

Well done!! :D
HOLY MOLY!

Goes to check on marination of Earthscraper

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! A bit of a delayed response, I know, but given that I just finished all my coursework at Vassar AND the book deal is all official and in PW I've decided to break out the vodka.

It'll hit me soon, I'm sure.

Shots all around, I say!

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Filigree. Yep. C'est moi (see Mccardey, I could get by in france.) Thanks! Yeah it's pretty crazy.

Mclesh, I've tried. The real question is what is "the good stuff." After 4 years of being a philosophy major I'm still not quite sure.

LJD - yeah. It's really more overwhelming than exciting tbh but I think I've mostly gotten over the overwhelmed part.

It's funny cause you work so long and so hard for a dream. You go through so much rejection. And then all of a sudden you're lucky enough, one of the few people lucky enough to have it come true, and instead of feeling giddy, you kind of feel dumbfounded.

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird but I was actually really stressed out for like a week or two after I heard about the deal with greenwillow. Like, what do I do with myself now?

(in case it's not evident, the vodka has hit. lol.)

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree. Yep. C'est moi (see Mccardey, I could get by in france.) Thanks! Yeah it's pretty crazy.

Mclesh, I've tried. The real question is what is "the good stuff." After 4 years of being a philosophy major I'm still not quite sure.

LJD - yeah. It's really more overwhelming than exciting tbh but I think I've mostly gotten over the overwhelmed part.

It's funny cause you work so long and so hard for a dream. You go through so much rejection. And then all of a sudden you're lucky enough, one of the few people lucky enough to have it come true, and instead of feeling giddy, you kind of feel dumbfounded.

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird but I was actually really stressed out for like a week or two after I heard about the deal with greenwillow. Like, what do I do with myself now?

(in case it's not evident, the vodka has hit. lol.)

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Feeling dumbfounded and stressed by success is normal. Just don't let it stand in the way of future success.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's a strange feeling. I remember 16 - 20 years ago, when if this had happened to me,I would be doing cartwheels and gloating in public. Now? It's not so much 'meh' as 'now what?', with the full knowledge that the process is merely on-going. Always one more summit.

I'm still dumbfounded, even after sending blurb, cover art, and payment info forms. I'm almost more wigged-out by having an agent, as I am having a publisher. Esp. since the agent rep is a provisional situation, hinging on whether she likes my big fat epic fantasy.

Mr. Not-so-Anonymous, may you have great sales and amazing reviews!
Watching this play out has been inspirational.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Emil on all 3: finishing the V@ss, getting into C0lumb!@'s MFA program and the book deal! :)

I ironically just e-mailed all my VC friends about your deal as I saw it in Publisher's Marketplace.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for not answering sooner, guys. End of the year and all.

Siri Kirpal - good advice, thanks. I'll try to keep it in mind.

Ken - Thank you!

Wheelwriter - Unless I'm very much mistaken you were one of those who first encouraged me to keep working on Socrates. It's partially thanks to you that this happened! :)

Filigree - Thanks so much for your kind words, Filigree. That's exactly how I feel. "Now what" coupled with "Can I deliver" and a dash or three of "Will my next novel measure up to the one that got picked up?"

I think the only way to stay sane is to take things one day at a time, one page at a time.

Smiley - Thanks very much. :) I'm a bit of a recluse on campus, ha, so your friends probably won't know me, but I really appreciate your enthusiasm.

Guilmond - Thanks! Gotta love those dancing snoopies!

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Very exciting, congratulations! The book sounds great.