Should I put this in my ebook blurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over at Amazon working on getting pubbed. Writing my blurb. While my book is not a Christian book, per se, it does have inspirational elements in it. I'm wondering if I should say that at the end of the blurb.

Inspirational elements Yes or no?

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ann,

I may be wrong, but having inspirational aspects does not necessarily mean that the Christian themes will stand out, does it?

Inspirational elements? I'd say go for it.
Inspirational elements/theme should be seen as a positive selling point IMO, and one that you could use throughout your promotion.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann,

I may be wrong, but having inspirational aspects does not necessarily mean that the Christian themes will stand out, does it?

Inspirational elements? I'd say go for it.
Inspirational elements/theme should be seen as a positive selling point IMO, and one that you could use throughout your promotion.

Thanks, Sio. You're right. My MC refers back from time to time to her Gran teaching her things from the 'good book', such as forgiveness, love, etc. I'm thinking it wouldn't be good to have someone that hated things like that to get upset when they stumble across it in the story. So, if I add 'inspirational elements' to my blurb, it gives them a heads up. No off-putting surprises that way.

For some reason, Amazon seems hung up on uploading my cover image. I can't seem to get calibre...I'm probably doing something wrong. *sigh*

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the inspiration elements will be enough to attract some readers (leading to extra sales) and annoy others (leading to bad reviews), you should mention them.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Merri and veinglory. I have added it and it seems right to me. I especially appreciate all of your responses since I've never walked this way before.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Consider your target audience. If its to be sold primarily in religious stores (which there are more than you'd think) then do it, otherwise I would not. Right or wrong in our shifting secular society many potential readers might be turned off. For example, half my released stories have elements that ponder divine questions, but not explicitly. I've never mentioned that in any of my promo material or blurbs, yet I've had reviewers site it made them ponder the eternal questions, and still gave me 4 or 5 stars. IOW, unless your shooting specifically for the inspirational market, don't mention explicitly.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Consider your target audience. If its to be sold primarily in religious stores (which there are more than you'd think) then do it, otherwise I would not. Right or wrong in our shifting secular society many potential readers might be turned off. For example, half my released stories have elements that ponder divine questions, but not explicitly. I've never mentioned that in any of my promo material or blurbs, yet I've had reviewers site it made them ponder the eternal questions, and still gave me 4 or 5 stars. IOW, unless your shooting specifically for the inspirational market, don't mention explicitly.

I must say, I'm re-thinking it after reading your comments. In one sense, even a negative critique because of the inspirational elements could actually turn in my favor. Hmmmm...think I'll sleep on it.

I won't be selling it in religious stores and I did not write expressly for the inspirational market. My motive for this particular novel was to write a good story with morals (not exlusively) and real life issues. Thank you for giving me more food for thought.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I see 'inspirational' as giving answers ('Faith will make your life better') not simply raising questions ('I wonder how being religious might effect a person's choices'). That is why it can alienate people.

Status
Not open for further replies.