SciFi/Fantasy First Line Game

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The professor wondered how a robotic dog could have managed to defecate on the floor of his workshop...

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
"The spy smirked, self-satisfied. “Deniam, so easy to fool.” "

Welcome to the game! However, this particular entry doesn't quite fit with the rules:

1. Every post must contain a first line, even when replying to another post (as I am here).
  2. The first line must be one sentence. No more, no less. No making long garden-path sentences haphazardly glued together with semicolons; you will be caught and suffer the correction of the Duck-Master of the Game (badducky).
  3. The line must be clearly one that opens a science-fiction or fantasy story. Dragons, robots, space travel, time travel, there must be some element of the fantastic to it.

Something more like:

My day took a sharp left turn towards the surreal when the target sat up, cursing under his breath as he stuck a finger into the hole I'd blown in his head.

...works. A spy isn't necessarily speculative or fantastic in nature. An unkillable immortal spy? A bit more speculative!

Hope that helps. And again, welcome to the game!

(ducky et al, the example given above is my first line for this entry!) ;)

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
Fixing old post: The white woman, now a snake with crimson eyes, flicked her tongue in and out in anticipation of the kill.

elfletcherauthor

Registered
Reaction score
more first lines

Hell bent on revenge is no way to live your life, said Jessica as she pushed her father off the end of her sword. But its a good place to start.

elfletcherauthor

Registered
Reaction score
more first lines.

Being a zombie isnt as much fun as it used to be, said Jack as he retrieved his penis from the floor of the brothel

elfletcherauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I will never be married to more than one Tau Ceti squid farmer at a time, ever again.

I hate to quibble, but i like it better this way...

I will never again, be married to more than one Tau Ceti squid farmer at a time.

mine
There are worse things to do to a man than castration, thought Mark but he coiuldn't think ofone as he picked it up off the floor.

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
No matter where I go in this miserable galaxy and how many new races I discover, I am always surprised how infatuated men are with their own dick.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Yesterday, I would have said moving Japan eight feet on the globe in one swoop would be science fictional/speculative...

My entry:

The sky, which used to be blue, decided in a fit of change to be purple, instead.

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
"We're all food for the conquerer worm eventually, Cynthia," said Bob as he crushed his cigarette out on the eye of the Golden Idol of Thothgar, "but we've got to get you home to Atlantis!"

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
The duck may object, as this is potentially written as more than one sentence. But the first one is legitimate on it's own, and I just love the second too much not to share it as a bonus as well. :)

The ink blurred and ran on the ancient papyrus in my hand, the demotic changing to recognizable English: ALEXANDRIA LIBRARY PASS, TRANSFER ALLOWED UPON BEARER'S DEATH, with my own name below.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mother always called my new bride a demon, but it wasn't until the small horns appeared on our daughter's head that I began to wonder if she was right.

Degan

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]The Chain of Fate spanned from the grip of darkness through the cosmos to the beckoning hand of the Giver of Light. [/FONT]

Faide

Like Dirty Gentlemen
Registered
Reaction score
First sentence of my WIP:

Nothing, Damián decided, could quite compare to seeing a man being torn apart by the unicorns in the arena.