How many times have you read your novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?

I typically read it through that way twice, before I submit it to my publisher. And I never read them again after they're published. I don't want to take the risk of finding some random error and stressing about it after the fact.

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
So many times that I've lost count. Probably dozens. Each time I read it, it's from beginning to end, tweaking little things as I go along. I find that's the most logical way for me.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I have reread to the point I am sick of my own work!

I go over the novels in a very obsessive manner. I've chopped and screwed them to death. I still find something to worry over.

I also like the flow of my words *arrogant face*

I go through the MS one chapter at a time and make notes for each one. Then I look at the notes and try to see if any problems are emerging. Then I make corrections and leave it alone for awhile. I go back with fresh eyes and repeat the process.

goldhorse

Oooh look at the pretty pony!
Registered
Reaction score
So many I get a little nauseous when I pick it up again. Got to keep plugging away though. I'll be 125 before I finish if I don't.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Until my eyes bleed and I'm so sick and tired of reading my same novel that even someone mentioning the title at random makes me :Soapbox: Seriously, editing is crucial, absolutely necessary, but you can only read the same thing so many times without getting sick of it, but I usually do it, while I'm editing, till I can't take it anymore.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
I'm more like you, JL Brady. I'm revising too, going into another draft. I have some distance from it and I finally read it cover-to-cover about a month or two ago on hard copy. It was probably the second time I read it all the way through--the last was when I finished the first draft. I made my notes all the way through, but I edit and revise in chunks.

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it. I usually load it up onto my kindle and read it that way.

My poor printer has seen better days. That, and my dog has an overwhelming fear of it. So no paper for me.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While writing, I read it lots of times, as other people said, until I get sick of it. I read it looking for errors, or when stuck looking for inspiration to continue on.

But once it's published? Never. I'll sometimes read a short story right after it comes out, but for the most part I'm so focused on the next project I don't go back.

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it.

Same here, except I print it and do it that way. :)

I usually do two full read throughs, just to make sure I haven't missed anything in edits, before I send it off. But I read it countless times, bit by bit.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
5,452,830 times.

Okay, no. I have no clue how many times I read my books in the editing, but it's a lot. When I add them to my shelves on Goodreads there's a field for "how many times have you read this book?" I just laugh hysterically.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
If my writing is going smoothly, I'll generally read the previous cpt. before continuing on, just to get myself in the groove.

But if I'm stuck, I tend to reread the thing in its entirety, hoping that seeing the big picture will spur some damn thing.

Meaning, I reread the thing in its entirety a lot. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Once when I finish, and then whatever reading is required during the editing stage after it sells.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
It feels like a lot, but I don't think I read it straight through very often at all, maybe once before each rewrite or major edit, and then right before sending it out. Each of those times, I make some notes and minor edits even if I'm 95% in "reader mode." If you count the times I go through each scene, though? I dunno, 50,000 times?

I haven't published much, but by the time something's out there, I never want to look at it again!

allmywires

Rock-licker
Registered
Reaction score
I like to read it through on the Kindle and have my laptop open as I do it, so I can correct as I go. Funny how the simple things, like printing it out, make you see it completely differently!

I've read this one, hmm, maybe 3 or 4 times in total. Certain parts I've read close to a hundred times, I'm sure. I know it so well that if I'm searching for a certain scene in my Word document I can type a distinct word or phrase from that scene in Ctrl-F and find it easily...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I typically don't read mine.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For my first book, enough times such that I Pavlov-ed myself into wanting to puke every time someone mentions "edit" and the title of the book.

I'm hoping I won't need to read this one that many times...

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read them yet.

Haha. Seriously though. Each one varies. I think the average for me is between 8 to 12 times. The thing I cringe about is when I JUST read it and someone asks for a revision.

And I too(for the same reasons) don't read it after it's published and everything's said and done.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Heh, here I am being contrary again...

I try not to look at it too much. I write lists of changes I need to make, as I think of them, and when I sit down to revise it's an intensive process. But in between, no fiddling, no "fine-tuning", I slap my hand away.

Partly it's because I have an over-polishing urge. Too much second-guessing can lead me toward editing everything down to bland phrases and vagueness, so I try to protect those raw images that came to me in the moment of writing.

Four full drafts, five tops.

On the down side, I find I tend to remember earlier drafts more clearly than late ones. Sometimes I'll be revising and get to a scene that makes me say "When did this happen? Oh, right, this was because of..."

sennydreadful

X-Box Fancier
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sennydreadful.com
I'm in the middle of revisions, so I reckon I must have read the entire thing about five times now. Curiously I'm not sick of it yet though, a first for me in the editing process - I guess I must really love this one. ;)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I haven't finished it yet, but since I revise as I go, I've read through each scene literally dozens of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.